Hutchinson Spider UST Tubeless Tire

Spider UST

Ruger   Cross Country Rider [Jun 04, 2009]
Strength:

Very good traction and cornering for its weight. Sheds mud and crap well!
A very fast trail tire! Good for varied terrain!

While mine are still fon with 500 miles they are very light and I imagine not extremely durable. But mine are still great, no punctures or wear.

Great lightweight , fast all around tire!

Similar Products Used: Kenda, Swalbe.
K   Weekend Warrior [Apr 12, 2007]
Strength:

Light weight, fast rolling, plush

Braking and traction depends alot on rotation direction.

I like these tires and so far they are the best UST tires I have used. I notice that in the forward direction (on the rear) the tire grips well during climbing in loose over hard pack, but slips pretty quickly during braking. On the front mounted in the reverse direction (as instructed on the tire) the braking is very strong. I tried the front once with the tire in the same direction as the rear and it was scary (washed out easily) which leads me to think that those riders that were washing out in corners did not pay attention to the mounting directions. I liked the conti vert pros quite a bit too but if you mount them backwards they are scary. I won't say the spiders corner on rails but I have gone pretty fast on single track and fire roads and would not call them unstable. They are not perfect and sometimes a heavier tire like a Kenda Blue Groove is a much better choice, but for light weight all around use, I have not tried a better UST tire. As for the Panaracers I hated them and found them to slide way too easily (although fairly predictably) - For real downhill or shuttle runs the spiders would not be great - but I have to wonder why anyone would try to use a lower knob height light weight tire for that anyway?? My rating is based on the price I paid not full retail. I would almost give them 5 stars but they are not perfect.

Similar Products Used: Panaracer FireXC, Conti Explorer and Vert Pro, Hutch Pythons, Many others
Dieter   Racer [Dec 03, 2006]
Strength:

Clay, straight line steep downhills with mud, hutchinson name

I have to agree with other review concerning lateral loading. I hope hutchinson reads these reviews, because the pre 2006 tire line was great and it is time to bring back the mosquito, alligator, and scorpion!!!

These tires have great bite while breaking, but are easily thrown laterally over rocks, roots, and hard uneven soils. I've tried them between 22psi to 35psi with little or know improvement. The design is reminiscent of the alligator, so I had high hopes, what a first class let down!! They break free in corners while descending and ascending and just lack stability. The only stability that these tires provide is a wide footprint and very high volume.

Hutchinson makes some of the best tires on the market. The 2006 line, including the bulldog and spiders are huge let downs!!! Bring back the golden age of hutchinson!! Let's see mosquitos, alligator golds, and python golds as both airlite and ust lite tires!! Avoid the spiders, although they may be ok for extreme slop like snowshoe, wv after 2 weeks of rain in august.

Similar Products Used: Tried them all
Pete   Weekend Warrior [Sep 30, 2006]
Strength:

Low rolling resistance. These tires are fast for such an agressive pattern.

Very poor with lateral loads. This tire does not do well with high speed cornering and off camber trails.

For dry, loose, terrain with small rocks, like many of the trails in the south/east bay, these tires are horrible. They do ok when you are going straight and on the centerline of the tire. However, they don't handle lateral loads at all. Fast corners and off camber trails are impossible. When they break loose, they go quick. On fast down hill corners with loose terrain these tires were downright scary. By comparison, on the same trails with the FireXC Pro my bike felt like it was on rails. The Weir Wolf also did well, though I can't make a direct comparison as I had it on a different bike.

These tires look like they may do well in the mud, but I don't think they are going to stay on my bike long enough to find out. After several rides, with way to many close calls on trails I have ridden many times, they are coming off.

Similar Products Used: Weir Wolf, Python, FireXC Pro
jeff SUKACH   Cross Country Rider [Aug 21, 2006]
Strength:

LOTS OF TRACTION IN ALL CONDITIONS FROM BONE DRY TO WET AND MUDDY.

WEAR QUICKY BUT THAT IS THE PRICE FOR TRACTION I GUESS

NICE WIDE PROFILE RIDES LIKE A MUCH WIDER TIRE THAN A 2.1. A GREAT TIRE FOR TAILS THAT ARE WET AND NASTY. SHEDS MUD WELL AND GIVE YOU CONFIDENCE OVER WET ROCK AND ROOTS. AS A BONUS IT WORKS GREAT IN DRY CONDITIONS TOO UNLIKE SOME ALL CONDITION TIRES.

Similar Products Used: kENDA NEVEGAL, SPECIALIZED ROLL-X, CONTINENTAL EXPLORER
Jeff   Weekend Warrior [Jun 22, 2006]
Strength:

fairly light for UST

1. The rubber and knobs wear out fast on rocky terrain of SW.
2. The sidewalls are WEAK!!! I've torn 3 on almost new tires.

These tirs were on sale by pricematch so I bought several..waste of money. I've torn 3 sidewalls on almost new tires. The latest straw was last weekend. It was their second ride. They were aired up to mid 30s and I took a steep slickrock line down a face when lo and behold - POOOOOF!!! Right at the bottom transition I snakebite both sides of the sidewall - one inch rips. Come on.. what BS. I've ridden non-UST tires with my homemade stans sealant for months and months harder than tihs and they stand up. These Hutchinsons have thick but weak sidewalls. Trust me... you'll be sorry if you like to ride the gnarl and take drops. Maybe I was expecting too much from these.

Similar Products Used: Kenda Blue Groove, Kenda Nevegal, MotoRaptors, etc etc
John   Cross Country Rider [May 10, 2007]
Strength:

relatively light, handle pretty good.

tread wears out quickly.

I ride in loose rocky dry conditions, and these tires handled pretty good when new. Problem is, they wear out real quick. If I got 4 months out of a set, that was pushing it. I usually ride 3 to 4 times a week, aggressive XC. I swithed to the Panaracer fire x, better durability.

Similar Products Used: Panaracer fire xc
Htail   Cross Country Rider [Apr 27, 2006]
Strength:

Size & volume, low rolling resistance, traction.

Subseptable to pin hole leaks.

After rolling on these for over a year now, I'm really convinced of two things- the performance of Hutchinson tires, and the benefits of tubeless tires.

these are the first tires, that I'm actually thinking of buying a second pair. Excellent combination of traction and roll speed. Great XC tire, where you cross over into some technical trail riding. You get the traction and roll for climbing, while agressive tread for the rocks, roots, & mud.

Admittedly though, they do suffer from pinhole leaks, using Stans is crucial prevention.