Hutchinson Scorpion UST Tubeless Tire

Hutchinson Scorpion UST Tubeless Tire

Was $30 - now $22! Type: Front or Rear Weight: 895 grams Pressure Rating: 29-58 psi Casing: UST Color: Black/Grey

[Jul 11, 2003]
Captain Phun

Strength:

Tubeless tire for lower psi.

HEAVY! Rear tire wears fast. Traction Ok at best. Rear tires looses air during the week more significantly than the front tire.

An ok tire, but not on my list to be purchased again. Will use them till worn out then try some Conti Explorers. Tubeless is nice for lowering the psi and no more pinch flats, but at a weight penalty. Tubeless also takes some of the bump out of the ride. Not a bad tire, but not a good tire either. Rubber to soft and for $45 a piece, that $90 you'd have to replace quite often.

Tubed Tires

[Jul 07, 2003]
Sam

Strength:

Hook up great in mud. Good low psi climbing tire in technical stuff. Good winter/wet tire.

Wear out fast. Keep them off the pavement and rocks!! Easy puncture in the rocks.

Like I said - Great wet / mud tire. Climbs roots, wet rocks, etc.

Don't ride them on pavement or lots of rocks or they will wear out fast (on the rear) and you'll get punctures.

I run stan's in them and they didn't seal yesterday from a rock puncture.

Just use them as your mud/winter tire and they are great!! I am switching to a Cont Explorer or something that lasts a little longer during the summer but I will put them back on in the winter.

Conti Vert Pro

[Jun 17, 2003]
rob

Strength:

Looks nice.

I wore this tire down in less than 1 month. The front tire is still fine.

Good for about 50 miles. If you never use your rear brake, maybe 60 miles tops. The tread wear rate is unacceptable. These tires should be priced in the 12 dollar range to make up for the accelerated wear.

This is my first experience with tubeless tires.

[Jun 15, 2003]
samiam

Strength:

Good traction and they look fast.

Soft rubber

I used this tire for less then 2 miles and the rear was split open by a rock. Being that this was my only experience with the scorpion I have limited knowledge on how this tire performs. However, in the first mile I washed out on a hard packed dirt trail which resulted in some cuts on my leg, hip, and arm. My first impression of the tire was that it was slow. I was riding on hard packed trails which this tire is not made for but I didn't think it would be a problem. Get this tire if you are riding in mud or on soft trails. The tire compound is just too soft for any rocks or hard trails. I am now using a Continental explorer on the front and a twister pro on the back and they are very dependable and fast. Hope this helps

none this bad

[May 18, 2003]
Vin Quenneville

Strength:

Traction and it looks KILER on my Crossmax XL's,

WEAR, and Weight...

I love the way they feel on the trail...They shed mud and are grippy on rocks and roots. This is my first tubeless tire and it's great to be able to run low pressures with out "pinching".
The bummer about these is how fast they wear, I do ride a lot of technical, rocky areas and a different tire would wear better but I love the way these things hook up! The other bummer is the sidewalls are cracking already... I am just about to put a fresh pair on and I'll update if this is a reoccuring problem.
If they would wear better I'd give 'em a 5 but..

Panaracer Fire's

[May 15, 2003]
Jubbs

Strength:

not much, not much...hutch uses good rubber tho

french crapulence. the rubber comes from their still unrelinquished colonial holdings.

they sucked to begin with. i think hutch was aiming at an all around tire, but they made a real piece that does nothing well. when they started going bald, the finishing straw was doing a donut and sliding past my friend backwards. kind of thrilling. but i'd hate to do that in a race. just crap. stay awaaaaay!

all of them

[Mar 31, 2004]
Crossmax

Strength:

Poor quality control. Defective bead. Defective bulging in the sidewall.

These are defective tires that would not hold air, even with Stan's Tubeless Sealant. They are not perfectly round, so there is some vibration at high speeds. I would not purchase these again.

Specialized S-Works, WTB Weirwolf, Rithcey Z Max

[Mar 25, 2006]
Brandon

Strength:

They look cool?

Expensive, poor grip in the wet, and they wear out VERY fast.

This review is for the Scorpion 2.3 UST (with the grey stripes). I rode these for less than 800 Km and they were pretty much bald in the center. They performed well on dry, hard-packed singletrack. But whenever I took them anywhere else they were average at best. These aren't terrible tires, they just are not great tires (not even good, imho). When you factor in the cost, they really aren't worth it. Given the army of better product out there, I'd recommend avoiding these.

[Feb 08, 2006]
Carl Johnson

Strength:

good uphill traction as rear tire. this tire holds better than most rear tires i've used. great climber.

very, and i mean very, poor downhill traction as rear tire, though i am improving my downhill skid-cornering technique. it seems that the degree of the grabbiness depends on the low psi, and not on knobbies (which are good for braking). for example, on downhill sections (nothing super technical), you basically have just to get a good skid on, and ride it, pray that your front tire holds and thank yourself for not using a hutch scorpion for your front tire. what's that? a long downhill? plan on gradually picking up speed as you skid 'cause you can't maintain your drop-in speed. hairraising to say the least!

the terrain (uber-rooty & rocky) and conditions (perpetually rain-soaked) in northwest washington do not respect this tire. and we are not amused.

panaracer firepro xc, velociraptor, python ust

[Jul 13, 2002]
J

Strength:

Lower air pressure offers excellent mud, rock, and root traction. This tire is supple and forgiving. Increase the air pressure and roll the hard pack...

Most tubeless tires tend to loose a nominal amount of air and the Scorpion is no exception. I'll take the performance over the small amount of air loss. I did roll the front tire on an exposed rock going down hill (during a race), but the wheel was perpendicular to my frame.

After three years of frustration at the 24hrs of Snowshoe, I finally found a tire that would compliment the demanding WV terrain. The Scorpion tire allowed me to ride many of the sections I had difficulty riding in previous years (off-camber roots, rocks, mud). This tire didn't pack up too much in the sticky mud of WV, that's a big plus for me.

Like most tubeless tires you're going to have nominal air retention issues, but as technology improves, so will tubeless tires. To combat air loss make sure your tire is seated. Put the maximum amount of air in the tire (58psi for the Scorpion) and then back the air pressure down to your preferred psi (before you back the psi down, let the air pressure stand for a while).

For me, this is a great tire for all riding conditions. If you don't want to continually switch tires for different conditions try the Hutchinson Scorpion. I do ride a different tire for really dry conditions, but if I had only one tire I'd pick the scorpion.