Hutchinson Python UST Tubeless Tire

Hutchinson Python UST Tubeless Tire

Hutchinson Python UST 2.0 Tire: Hutchinson's top selling MTB tire, the New Generation Python gets updated with enlarged lateral steering knobs. Close knob proximity on centerline for reduced rolling resistance...

[Sep 28, 2009]
tony_tiger_35

Strength:

Great strength, fantastic traction, fast rolling, very puncture resistant

Grip is a little shallow so would be too great in mud

Fantastic tire for the money. Never have any problems with this tire losing air with the Stans flow rims. Never had a puncture or any damage. Ran the pressure from 25psi to 50 depending on the riding and was pleased every time. These tires roll fast and I rarely have issues with grip. The tread is shallow but a lot of it which is great for traction and trails in S. California riding...

[May 13, 2009]
dzol

Strength:

-Durability - I have used my bike for on-road cycling only for 5000kms and still have the original Hutchenson python on the front! The rear had to be replaced once. The front tire is still ok, but I am replacing both now.

Reiability - I have only ever had 5 punctures and they were mostly my fault from running over glass or dead animals :)

Low Rolling resistance - Their tread pattern is really neat rolls easily and is great for hard-packed trails.

Quailty - Have you ever had a tire last 5000kms? and the walls are still in great condition, I have abused them and my bike riding during the winter, rain, mud, rocks, roots, dust and the sidewalls have barely any cracks

Traction - They are ok for Hard packed trails, but I would be nervous to take them on anything too technical (a recent bad wipeout has convinced me to invest in something more grippy).

Great Tires if you are looking for something fast, durable, and still gives decent grip on moderate trails. (Mind you I checked recently at a retialer and the price has gone up substantially somethign around $75 CAD ($64USD))

[Dec 12, 2008]
tincho1979

Muy buena para terreno seco, la utilice varios años para competencias, y me dio muy buenos resultados. Totalmente recomendable, pero no la usen en barro.

[Nov 16, 2008]
scooter24

Strength:

fast rolling,light tire that grips good.

to thin of wall they cut very easy on rocks,they dont hold air unless you use sealant.

if you want a tire that holds air dont buy these without installing sealant.very weak casing cuts easily.good tire if you do a light xc ride on flat terrain.

panaracer fire,michelin

[Aug 20, 2008]
greenmtnrdr

Strength:

They look fast - low rolling resistance.

Cornering. Install was the hardest/worst of any tire ever -- you'll be screwed with a flat out in the field

I bought two and just installed the rear -- what a pain! I compared the rear intalled tire with front mounted Maxxis Ignitor -- Python 2.35 is MUCH smaller with little or no side knobs. This tire will obviously go fast in a straight line. The tire is coming OFF (I'm not even going to bother riding on it)! They are going on ebay/craigslist. AVOID this tire unless you drive in a straight line and appreciate cursing while changing bike tires.

Panaracer 2.4, OEM Maxxis Ignitor 2.35

[Jul 29, 2008]
bman3333

Strength:

Lighter version, nice tread pattern for dry, XC trails

Leak air (10 psi/week) right out of the box. Tread wears quickly. Poor customer service.

First two sets of Python UST tires held air and worked fine. Third set was the New Gen Python Lite UST and they do not hold air right out of the box. Basically a tubeless-ready tire now. Hutchinson said you must use sealant - which was never the case with first two sets. Would not replace or fix problem. Do not recommend supporting this company.

Kenda Klimax Lite UST

[Jun 24, 2008]
maleonardphi

Strength:

Light, tons of grip.

Tread wears quickly, maybe only lasted for 20 rides. Don't dare ride it on the pavement.

I really love this tire on the rear. For a 2.0, it has a ton of grip, with the benefit of being really light. However, it wears really quickly. It worked well in dry conditions, rocky, loose, pretty much anything. I never had a chance to try it in the mud though. I would highly recommend it if you can get a deal. But maybe get two, since they wear so fast

Various WTB, Kenda, and Maxxis tires

[Jul 16, 2003]
Erin

Strength:

I guess they're fast on a flat, paved road. Or really hard packed dirt...

I have a road bike, so if I want to ride on a road, I'll use that. These tires are junk if you're not on a hard, flat surface. Do you want to climb that steep hill with loose pebbles, maybe some logs, some bigger rocks? You MIGHT do OK with these tires, but you may also end up pushing your bike. And forget about it on tricky descents where it gets a little loose on the corners. They grab the ground a little better than my 120 psi road bike tires, but not much. You'd be nuts to purchase these. I think they came on my new XC bike because they're light or something. Like weight matters when you're lying in a ditch because your back wheel slid out and sent you way too close to that big boulder you were trying to avoid...

Ugh, even I, a mere roadie convert, hate these tires. I was suspicious of them before I laid eyes on them (they looked a little under-knobbed just in a picture online). Sure enough, I found myself walking steep downhills with no confidence on sharp, loose corners. My wicked new bike handles worse right now than a rental.

If you're in a shop and considering buying a bike with these on them, get them to swap them out for something with teeth. If you're actually considering buying these, don't. Spend your money on an actual Mountain Bike tire. Let's think about the phrase, "Mountain Bike". It doesn't mean riding on a smooth, flat surface, does it? It means a variety of terrain: Sand, hardpack, pebbles, railroad grades, mud, roots, creek beds. Do people really race mountain bikes on a surface that these tires can handle? Weak.

Don't ruin your ride with these pieces of crap. Also, I'm not sure but they might be a little flimsy. I think I've got a leak after not a whole lot of riding, I'm not too critical of that, though. Could be bad luck.

2 chilis because I didn't have anything catastrophic happen, which isn't saying much.

Enjoy!

bigger fatter tires that didn't make me ride like a pansy

[Aug 25, 2003]
D

Strength:

fast-rolling, decent grip on hardpack, very durable, cushy, holds air well

not best for every trail condition

I've now tried four different types of tubeless tires (three for extended periods of time), and the Pythons are clearly the longevity winners. In my experience, tubeless tires seem to wear faster than standard, but not the Pythons. Even on the rear, these tires can take a beating and stick around for the next one. They are fast rolling and handle well enough on hardpack and fire roads, but more extreme trail conditions probably want something a little knobbier. Still, these will do fine if you must have an all-conditions tire. Plenty of air volume.

[Jun 30, 2003]
Craker Jack

Strength:

Good speed. Does well in the turns. Very good all around race tire.

A little sloppy in small loose rocks.

A great tire that I would use over and over again and again.

Michilen Wild Grippers