Hutchinson Octopus UST Tubeless Tire

Hutchinson Octopus UST Tubeless Tire

Hutchinsons Octopus UST is an outstandingTubelessTire for freeride or downhill use.The aggressiveTread pattern provides outstanding grip and stability on a wide range ofTerrain.TheseTires are compatible with USTTubeless style rims, eliminating pinch flats and providing betterTraction ThanksToTheir lower air pressure. Type: Front or Rear Weight: 1000 grams Pressure Rating : 29-58 PSI

[Jan 02, 2009]
kevin

Strength:

nice for awhile

tread wore extremely fast

would not suggest to buy.

only tubeless ever used

[Mar 15, 2004]
Doug
Downhiller

Strength:

proven effective tread design. tough side walls. one of a few med wide dh tubeless tires

a little heavy and expensive

my first experience with tubeless has been great. easy to mount and fill ( use soap) they hold air and feel great. thicker sidewalls makes for a heavier but more reliable tire. im going to put notubes in them as well, im tired of pinch flats. they corner better than the weirwolfs, and offer good traction in off camber situations. uphill traction is better than average

weirwolf 2.5 kujo 2.35

[Dec 20, 2004]
David

Strength:

Tubeless and they look cool.

They loose air gradually over time

On the loop yesterday it was tacky in spots and boggy in others, tight single track with many trees to snake through, fast tight turns and muddy roots for 5 miles.
Bottom line everyone in the parking lot had taken a tumble on the track, the person with me took 3 tumbles, I didnt have a spek of mud or dirt on me and its not because Im a better rider, its because these tires are AWESOME.
hate to say it but even on concrete they impress me.

IRC Serac XC

[Sep 28, 2004]
sam mckay

Strength:

aired down to 18 psi with Stansnotubes, great tire for freeriding the rocks, roots and steeps. Great directional stability. Clears mud quickly

at 2.3 its rolling resistence is up there so not a first choice for long epic rides but if your a clidesdale....

Great freeride tire. Durable with good sidewall strength and fast mud clearing. Good directional stability especially over rocks, roots.

Geax.Michilin.

[Sep 09, 2004]
Josh

Strength:

They seem to ride nice - when they hold air.

Lame casing

These tires came on my AC1 - In the 2 weeks since I bought the bike, I have suffered no fewer than 4 punctures (rocks, not thorns) / pinch flats. I have been riding mt. bikes for 16 years and am not some hack who slams over everything in his path and I have yet to run less than 32 (usually about 35) psi in these tires - the flat I suffered last night was with a tube in the rear tire - because I no longer trust them. I have tried all different sizes/ types of tires and the only other tire I have been as disappointed with was the Hutchinson that came stock on my cyclocross bike. The bottom line is that the casings in these (and apparently other Hutchinsons) tires is totally insufficient. I have even been running Stan's (latex sealant) in my tires hoping to avoid yet another walk.. to no avail - the holes have been too big for it to help. Had I actually paid for the tires (instead of having them come on the bike) I'd be pissed. Unless you ride somewhere with few rocks - I live in CO, do yourself a favor and purchase something that will ride for more than 10 miles without needing to be repaired. For soft or smooth dirt (w/out sharp rocks) they'd probably be nice.

No other UST tried