Hutchinson Mosquito UST Tubeless Tire

Mosquito UST

tincho1979   Cross Country Rider [Feb 20, 2009]
Strength:

Best in mud conditions

a litle heavy

I used this tires the last 5 years under rain competicions, an they rock!!

Similar Products Used: Intense sistem1
Matt D   Racer [May 28, 2003]
Strength:

Excellent mud tire. Must be run at proper LOW pressure to get grip. I think that everyone who has been complaining about this tire in mud must have it up at 50psi. might as well run baldies at that psi.

Doesn't handle wet layered leaves very well, but then again, no tire does.

These tires are great when used for the conditions they were designed for, mud. I raced on a pair of 1.7 UST mosquitos in some of the most sloppy conditions spring in New England can dish out and they were a great choice. The only thing i was wishing for was a little more comfort in the front on the downhills. I plan on fixing this by running a 2.0 mosquito up front and the 1.7 in back. They climb great at 2 bar. I run stans rim strips too for extra air burp protection. 5 flaming poo's

Similar Products Used: the whole ritchey lineup, hutchie pythons, scorpion airlights (too big and roll like dump).
KB   Cross Country Rider [Jul 03, 2002]
Strength:

Great traction on hardpack. Thick carcass which virtually eliminates the possibility for pinch flat.

Very soft rubber that wears out in one season or less depending on how much you ride. Don't ever ride through a goathead patch or you will throw the tire away. Impossible to patch the little punctures.

If you are going to spend $25 to $40 for a tire they need to make the rubber compound a little more durable so they last longer. I am still searching for the best tubeless tire. Haven't found one yet.

Similar Products Used: First tubeless tires used on my mountain bike.
Igor   Cross Country Rider [Nov 10, 2002]
Strength:

The cheapest UST tires you can buy. Pretty good quality -
don't leak much air. Good traction on soft trails (Pacific NW in the summer).

I'd say this tires are only good for soft trails. If you have to climb on a loose rocky (or muddy) trail, forget it. Running them at or below 30 psi seems to help but can ruin your rims. The rubber compound is very soft; the rear tire will quickly wear out and one day you'll get a flat - it's easy to get one when there is no knobs left. I got a flat today when riding a paved road (also noticed many little cuts from rocks on the rear tire).

Buy them if you want to try UST. But I think the technology is not yet mature. Tires are too heavy, more expensive and there is little choice.

Also, keep a spare tube - one day it will save your "s".

Similar Products Used: The only UST tire I can afford :)
Scott   Cross Country Rider [Jul 01, 2002]
Strength:

Great traction, especially in changing terrain. Really grip well especially in our sand. Don't clog up with dirt. Work great and don't leak with low air pressure.

Love these tires. When soft they look soft but they hold and the traction was great. They work great with the disk brakes. They also climb really well. The ride is really good. You have to try them. No matter what terrain, they work.

Similar Products Used: Michelin wide gripper S
George   Cross Country Rider [Nov 12, 2003]

Just 5 words: "Proper Tire Pressure is Critical". These tires came with my new bike. It was my first experience with tubeless tires. I erroneosly inflated them to 45lbs PSI (since that how I filled my standard tires). I thought these tires sucked in the mud, tree roots & over logs. I was looking on MTBR to see reviews of other tires, & checked out other people's view of these tires. I saw comments about tire pressure & then went to the Manufacturers web site for the tires specifications. They suggest 29 lbs for the 2.0 tire. To make a long story short, They are much better at the lower pressure. I'm going to ride them for a while longer. Check out the specs & give thier suggested tire pressure a try.

Gary   Cross Country Rider [Oct 15, 2002]
Strength:

Tenacious grip over wet rocks, roots and rain-saturated ground.

None known.

I've ridden many XC tires with tubes over the past 9 years. My favorites have been tires with all-trail-conditions tread like the Panaracer Fire Pro, the IRC Mythos XC and Panaracer Trail Blaster. All have performed admirably, and I never felt the need for anything else.

When I had my newest bike built a couple of weeks ago, the builder talked me into UST rims. At first I rode them with my Panaracer tube tires on them, and I pinch flatted on each of my 1st two, very short rides. So I bought a pair of Misquitos and took the UST plunge -- based entirely on the reviews on this Website. I was apprehensive because the casing seems to be a bit light on knobbies, with a fair amount of smooth rubber exposed to contact the trail. But I decided to give-em a try anyway.

I've ridden them 3 days so far -- all in West Virginia's Monongahela Forest. And all on rain-soaked, rocky and rooty trails.

In a nutshell, they hooked-up well and never let me down. I'm looking forward to riding them on dry trails next. A couple of first-time-user observations: (a) I rode them at PSI between 30 and 38, and they seemed to do best at or near 30, (b) they manage to conform to stones, rocks, roots, etc. without deflecting my wheels, which means better tracking, (c) when I impact the trail after getting some air, the tires compress radically and make noise similar to the sound of a tube tire going flat (this takes some getting used to), and (d) the tires held air and kept seated on the rim under some pretty aggressive riding / demanding conditions (did I mention that I weigh 195lbs?).

If my longer-term impressions change over the next month or so, I'll write another review.

Similar Products Used: This is my 1st experience with UST tires.
Jason   Cross Country Rider [Apr 14, 2003]
Strength:

good ride and grip for a few rides

wears out in no time at all!

i ride a lot of technical in the southwest. these tires are almost gone after less than 50 miles. they are good tires in tubeless, but wear out too fast on rocks. I wont buy them again.