Hutchinson Bulldog Tubeless Light Tubeless Tire

• Traction and braking performance
  • Low rolling resistance & mud clearing

[Oct 28, 2008]
black_taco

Strength:

Lightweight, Grip, fairly low rolling resistance considering the knobbiness.

Thinner than advertised. 2.1 is more like a 1.9 but I guess that is how Hutchinson gets away with calling them light, becuase they have the weight and size of a 1.9

Tonight was my first night out with the new 2.1 Bulldogs and I was very impressed with their ability to climb even on leaf covered off cambered trails. I suspect they might get a little squirrely in some hard leaning hard pack corners but overall I am very impressed especially in the softer sections. If you want a 2.1 width tire, order the 2.3 light.

Pythons

[Apr 11, 2006]
Dan Gerous

Strength:

Very light for a knobby UST tire, rolls well for a knobby tire, grippy...

Don't lean down too much in corners.

A lot of people don't like this tire for cornering. The side knobs don't go very far down the sides so if you like to lean aggressively when you turn, beware. For my riding style though, I have found these tires to be very good all arounders that are light and efficient. Very close to be as light as Pythons Tubeless Light, rolls fast but they grip in a wider range of condition, notably when it gets a wet (Pythons don't work well in the wet). My favorite summer tire.

Hutchinson Spider Tubeless Light, Python Tubeless Light, Maxxis High Roller UST...

[May 14, 2006]
Six-Gun-Todd

Strength:

Fast rolling, easy to mount, strong climbing tire

Much narrower than size listed, washes out easily when leaning into fast sweeping corners, much heavier than advertised

I was very fortunate when I purchased my Crossmax wheelset that a pair of these tires came with the deal completely free. So value is going to have to be a 5....you just can't beat free.

Performance wise the tires have worked out pretty well, they mounted easily with an air compressor and really look pretty sharp with the bulldog graphics on the sidewall. I ran the tires with a scoop of Stan's in each tire for a little added insurance....which in the long run I probably didn't need. Be warned, these tires are alot narrower than 2.1...heck they look down right tiny next to my 1.95 Nevegals. Hutchison should also work on their weight chart. The chart lists the Airlight tires at 580 grams and the two tires I have weighed in at 722 and 729.

But...low and behold....these tires really haul ! They roll fast over the terrains common to Michigan....rocky, rooty, sandy, etc. Sand performance is the real surprise, the tread pattern is so squared off that the tire rides nicely right through even some really deep sand. Even climbing traction is surprising, you would never guess that such a narrow tire would climb so intensely and not spin out.

Be warned though ! This is not for fast sweeping turns that requires you to lean the bike over ! These tires will wash out when you transfer off the side knobs which have a distinct squared off edge to them.

Lastly, I've got over 500 miles on my pair and they still have plenty of life left in them to boot.

First UST Tire !!