Hutchinson Barracuda MRC Medium Tubeless Tire

Hutchinson Barracuda MRC Medium Tubeless Tire

• Excellent cornering grip
  • Small knobs for traction
  • Reinforced lateral knobs
  • Rolling resistance and high performance

[Sep 26, 2010]
DT

Strength:

Grip, rolling resistance, don't leak air (without slimy stuff)

Weight and price (£47)

I used tubeless verticals (2.3) for years and changed back to Hutchinson tyres when I heard ust verticals were to be discontinued. I use a 2.15 toro on the back and a 2.3 barracuda on the front. The barracuda is heavier and much bigger than a vertical and the toro smaller and lighter so overall the weight is comparable but rolling resistance is better. Downhill the improvement is startling - the barracuda's grip and predictability just eggs you on to go faster. (The big/small combination looks a bit odd but the angles slacken beneficially and who cares if it goes well?)

mosquito, python, scorpion, bulldog, toro, continental vertical

[Mar 11, 2010]
MTBJong

Strength:

Confident at higher speeds on loose rocky trails. Good grip. Durable. Light and quick rolling for what it is.

None for what I ride

Basicly the best tire for summer riding in the wasatch. Great for dry conditions with loose trails and inconsistent rocky terrain. I would buy again.

weirwolf, Eskar, Purgatory, Cinder, Nevegal

[Jul 21, 2008]
MileHighMark

Strength:

Easy to mount, holds air w/o sealant.

Somewhat "dead" feel, narrow sweet-spot, pressure-wise.

These are my first UST tires, so take the following with a grain of salt... I was able to mount and seal them pretty easily. Didn't need to soap the beads, and a flood pump was all was needed to air them up.

These tires seem to have a very narrow sweet-spot for pressure. At the min recommended pressure (29psi), the front feels OK, but still a little stiff. One the back, that same pressure feels squirmy (I'm 220, so that's probably a factor). Bump up to 35psi and it feels harsh. By comparison, my Schwalbe Albert and Maxxis ADvantage felt much better in that same pressure range.

For such an aggressive tread, they do roll reasonably well. There's a small "dead zone" between the center and side blocks, you feel like you're slipping (a little) before those side knobs engage.

Would I buy another pair? Probably not (I'd get UST Alberts or ADvantages).

Schwalbe Albert, Maxxis ADvantage

[Jun 13, 2008]
Steve Chaput

Strength:

Agressive, wide, high volume thread. Stops and corners well. Strong, tough, high quality tire. Holds air well, sealant optional.

Firm rubber compound, would prefer something alittle more tacky.

Using on front where I prefer a high volume tire with agressive tread, but don't want the weight of a DH tire. This is the best tire I've tried so far, but plan to try a Fat Albert too. Tire has a meaty thread that translates to great corning and quick stops. Corners great even on sand/gravel over hardpack and rails in better conditions. Tough tire and sidewalls; No problems with rough rocks. Tire went on fairly smoothly and holds air for a few rides with no sealant. The sidewalls are stiff and the thread is thick, so it works best with low pressures, ~26-28lbs. Sometimes at low speeds, it bounces a bit or slips of big rocks because of the higher durometer rubber. I prefer a lower durometer rubber, but on the plus side, this tire rolls well and should last all season.

UST versions of Vertical Pro, Nevegal, and Ignitor

[Jul 17, 2007]
John

Strength:

Hooks up really well. Easy to install. Rolling resistance good for as many nobs as there are.

Cost. Weight.

I got these tires as I'm always trying new ones in an effort to find the best one for me (not sure that I've found it yet). I installed them on both the front and rear. The first thing you notice is how well you hook up. Also, for as heavy as they are, the rolling resistance isn't too bad. I never had any issues washing out at all. I just replaced the rear tire after about 310 miles but the front still has lots of life left. Installation was pretty easy as well. This bike is the first one had with tubeless so I haven't tried many tires yet.

Maxxis Hi-Roller UST, Panaracer Fire XC Pro

[Sep 28, 2006]
Don B

Strength:

Downhill Control, General Sure-Footedness, Cornering Grip

Rolls kinda Slow, but what do you expect from a soft compound knobby?

Update to my previous post. After 3 months of abuse and a punishing trip to Fruita, this tire has remained trouble free and grippy as ever. No flats or burps, even after running lower pressure (15lbs) and *punishing* the tire on Moore Fun. I haven't noticed much wear yet (but it is on the front). I really enjoy the way this tire hooks up when leaning through turns, and on rocky technical trails - it behaves very well at low pressure and remains bulletproof. I only seem to notice the rolling resistance when going down pavement roads, but I'm sure it's slowing me down a little on the flats. This tire is for you if you want maximum descending confidence on your all-mountain rig.

Maxxis High Roller 2.3 UST Super Tacky, Conti Vertical Pro 2.3, WTB Weirwolf

[Jun 26, 2006]
Don B

Strength:

Downhill Control, General Sure-Footedness, Cornering Grip

Rolls kinda Slow, but what do you expect from a soft compound knobby?

Been looking for a good soft compound 2.3 UST tire since Maxxis discontinued the High Roller in the 42a Super Tacky Compound. I really like having a soft tire on the front for cornering, off camber grip and a generally more forgiving downhill experience. The Barracuda seemed to work great on it's first ride this weekend, it had that 'glued to the trail' feeling that I've come to appreciate about soft tires. It handled the loose and dusty stuff with predictability and confidence, and I was bold enough to clean this rocky spine that I had never done before. Probably the best thing I can say about the Barracuda MRC Med is when I was really cooking down a loose rocky wash around 20-25mph, the tire simply hooked up and tracked in manner that allowed me to relax and focus on picking my lines instead of having to worry about a squirrelly front end (like skinny and/or hard compound tires tend to cause). Make no mistake, this is a soft compound tire, so it sacrifices rolling resistance for control, and I did feel a little slow on the flats and when going down paved roads, probably a little more than I expected, but still acceptable. Haven't had a chance to really lean over and test the cornering grip yet, but the tire did well in slow and medium speed switchbacks. I can recommend this tire simply on the grounds that it's the only one I could find in a 2.3 UST soft compound tire, and it seemed to work as advertised. Have no idea if the sidewalls are going to hold up yet, that seems to be what killed all my Contis and a WTB Weirwolf I tried. This front tire is *much* better for control than the Conti Vert Pro and seems comparable so far to the High Roller Super Tacky.

Maxxis High Roller 2.3 UST Super Tacky, Conti Vertical Pro 2.3, WTB Weirwolf

[Nov 28, 2007]
Juice
Downhiller

Strength:

UST, sort of soft rubber, sturdy

Upper limit cornering at speed

Only tried it in the front so far. This is a pretty good tire, and one of the better burly xc/AM UST tires. It is not as good as a 40d or 3C Minion, or a Stick-E Nevegal, but there aren't good UST options in those tires for xc. Come on Kenda and Maxxis, step up to the plate!

I've actually started to like the tire, but I have to run lower air pressure than normal. I find about 24-25 psi in the front is good, above that I was washing out on fast corners quicker than with the tires mentioned above.

Minions, Nevegals, Blue Groove, etc

[Oct 07, 2007]
doug r

Strength:

Reliable, maintains grip, holds shape and feel, wears to the bone evenly and takes @300k to wear out on mixed road and trail use.(forest trails) Would replace without question.

price. $60.00+ CDN each.
My car tires are $15.00 more, Whats up with this tire companys? Lower the prices, NOW.

Very Good Tire and am pleased with performance and feel of Hutch tires.

Maxxis 'High Roller' heavy and cost too, wear fast
Maxxis 'Cross Mark' What was that tire good for?