Geax Mezcal Tubeless Tire

• Knob shape
  • Rails Design
  • Micro-traction effect
  • Aramid 3D Compound
  • Great cornering and fast rolling

[Apr 27, 2012]
John From Horse Hill

Strength:

Super light, large volume, very low rolling resistance

Poor grip for rear braking, awful for climbing wet roots and rocks, not robust enough for technical trails.

This tire developed a large tear in the middle of the tread on the second ride while I was traveling over a techincal rocky section of trail. Earlier in the ride I noticed that the tire very poor grip on wet roots and rocks so I really had to baby them up technical climbs. They also tended to skid very easily during downhill braking. They'd probably be a great tire in some areas because they are super fast and efficient but I wouldn't buy them for riding in New England.

Kenda Happy Medium
Kenda Slant Six
Specialized Captain control

[Mar 22, 2012]
Loraura

Requires removed valve cores and an air compressor to mount tubless. Tire fit very loosely on my Roval 29, 26mm rims requireing a huge blast of air to seat the bead. Once seated, very good seal was achieved, no leaks at all. Giving it 3 starts for now since I have not gotten to trail test them.

[Feb 26, 2012]
andro0120

Strength:

Very very fast rolling tires, great looking tread, great cornering

Not exactly the all mountain tire they claim it to be.

After trying out the 2.1 Mezcal for a few weeks, I decided to try out the Mezcal 2.3 tires. While the 2.1s were primarily designed as an XC tire, Geax claims the increased size of the Mezcal 2.3 has made it an all-arounder - AM and downhill tire. I took the plunge and was pleasantly surprised that despite it being larger and slightly heavier, it was no slower than the 2.1 Mezcals that I previously owned. I took them to a three hour road trip and they are amazing on the concrete/asphalt. This morning, I took to the technical trails at the Fort and was slightly disappointed at the result. Hardpack, grass and loam were easy but wet rocks on steep inclines proved to be quite a challenge for the tires. Not sure though if I was working the pedals too hard, if my gears are too low or if my tire pressure was way too high - 45psi on both.

Nonetheless, I've yet to spend a few more rides before I get the hang of these. I'm expecting them to deliver once I have everything dialed in. It may not be the perfect tire, but nothing is. It fits my purpose and will probably stay with me longer than any of my previous tires.

Great for those who spend a significant amount of time on the road or asphalt, but want a tire that they can take to the occasional trail escapades.

Maxxis Crossmarks 2.1, Continental Race King 2.2, Geax Mezcal 2.1

[Aug 14, 2011]
hoolie

Strength:

This 26x2.10 TNT w/ Geax sealant run Tubeless at 30 PSI. Awesome fast tire, holds air for 3-4 weeks then pump a little. First micro tread for me and used for 10 HARDCORE crosscountry hrs.

Summer only? I used in the rain in Sierra Nevadas but on granite boulders and worked great. The muddy areas clog micro treads.

I happened to put some of the hardest 10 hrs of the summer on these and caught in rain once. Nashbar 2 pack w/ free sealant. I used this today at Santa Cruz Demo Forest in dusty, leaf covered, baby heads(adult head size), berms, jumps and they worked beyond expectation. Super light setup. If you want a great rear and so so front this is good tire. I dont think they will last long, but you never know. I WILL remove these in the fall and use again next summer( I spread the load w/ 3 bikes and this ridden the least)

Nevegal, Ignitor, Hutch python/toro

[Mar 21, 2011]
whiskeybro

Strength:

Grips well, fast and never let me down

litle slippery in wet conditions

I would recommend this tyre when there are not to many sharp rocks,the tires last long,are fast and the have lots of grip.

Racing Ralph,and Bontrager Revolt

[Sep 09, 2007]
Tjokkits Cor

Strength:

Grips well, fast

Sidewall gave way third time I used these tyres, spoiled my ride which I had to stop halfway - not funny

These tyres are awesome as long as they last, I will exchange this one time but am really scared another ride gets spoiled, hope this is a once off....

Maxis crossmax

[Aug 22, 2007]
Juan Van Zyl

Strength:

Fast and Strong

Great tires. They are fast and have strong side walls. A bit heavy, but thats the price you pay for tire that doesnt punture easily. Been using them 6 mnths and still going well. I will def keep on riding these babies

Hutch Pythons, and Bontrager Revolt

[Jan 03, 2007]
Richard

Strength:

Fast rolling
Low Price compared to other (better) tubeless tyres

Weak Sidewalls
- I am running this tyre (tubeless version) on the rear, and although the tread is only 1/2 worn, there is a bulge on the sidewall which is starting to give way. I usually run about 50psi, which is safely below the max. recommended pressure of 58psi (4bar).
Two friends of mine have also had similar problems with this tyre, where the sidewalls bulged and then gave way - one of them was fortunate that when the tyre started to give way, it started with a slow leak (ie. we were able to keep pumping it to get home) . The other was not so fortunate, as his tyre exploded during a race ....

Here in Curacao, conditions are generally hard packed and dusty, with plenty of small rocks, some loose gravel, and tons of cactus to ruin your day.

Overall, I would not recommend this tyre, as the weak sidewalls make it an unreliable choice of tubeless tyre.
I gave it 2 chilli's for value, mainly due to the low price. However, the weak sidewalls meant that I gave it 1 chilli overall.

Maxxis UST (Larsen TT, CrossMark) - both great (fast rolling, reliable handling)
Specialized UST (Fast Track Pro) - great tyre

[May 03, 2007]
Chris Frankiskos

Strength:

The tyre is super quick, predictable and easy to fit. Performs well over all xc / trail riding conditions.

It is a little slippery in the Wet

I would recomend the tyre to all Xc riders. It would be better to run the tyre on the back wheel for all conditions, if you were to run it on both front and back i would be cautious to the route type you choose...the slightly more rocky and technical rides with the tyre on the front would pose to be difficult for an inexperienced rider.

Racing Ralph, Bontrager Revolt

[May 02, 2007]
anthony nash

Strength:

super fast rolling tyres. they are perfect for most conditions, and their side walls are stronger than other brands.

they are slippery in wet conditions

fantastic fast racing tyre, fantastic handling and cornering ability's

schwalbe racing ralph, maxis cross mark