Continental Mountain King UST Tubeless Tire

Continental Mountain King UST Tubeless Tire

The Mountain King UST is a fantastic all-mountain tire, especially when you run the 2.4" on both ends of your bike. For general purpose trail riding, pair the larger tire with the narrower 2.2" Mountain King UST in the rear, or for marathon racers who prefer a bit more speed, with the lower-knobbed X-King 2.2 UST as the back tire. Continental revised the UST Tubeless Mountain King tread pattern so that it's more open, with stronger, taller side knobs for more sure-footed cornering, especially on hard pack. The tread is made from Black Chili Compound rubber, where tiny particles of carbon are added to the tread. This allows the tire to conform to the ground more readily, aiding both wet and dry grip. And because it's a UST tire, the Mountain King can be run without a tube, with or without a sealant, and has a special bead specifically designed to be paired to UST rims for a perfect seal every time, all the time. Important: Although you can also run a UST tire on a non-UST rim, you won't achieve the same level of sealing because the rim won't be designed to wed with the tire bead as readily; there are conversion kits that allow you to turn a non-UST rim into a tubeless-ready setup, but they do nothing to change the design of the rim edge, which is the key UST innovation. Another point: Running the larger volume 2.4" tire is an ideal match for all-mountain riders who need the added protection of sealant in places with a persistent threat from thorns or baby heads (or both!), and for those who also want the extra cushion that a bigger-volume tire provides. The Continental Mountain King UST tire comes in a 2.2" and 2.4" width and has a 26" diameter. The tread is made from Black Chili compound rubber. The casing features 3 plies equalling 330 TPI under the tread and sidewalls. The UST bead is foldable and the tire is black on black. Claimed weights: 2.2" is 820g, 2.4" is 880g. Application: Trail/Marathon/All MountainGround: All Conditions

[May 27, 2014]
Keith Lawrence
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

great climbing and great braking traction rolls great

hard to keep sealed on my stans zt arch wheels. keep stans on hand

Ive put over 300 miles on this on the rear of my carbon nomad. Love it its totally predictable. It tracks great rolls great. I keep mine at 26 psi. Its never burped on me its just hard to keep sealed don't know why. Its showing signs of wear but for up here in nor cal. I mean 98 miles to Oregon nor cal its a good all around tire.

my go to rear wtb weir wolf

[Dec 08, 2010]
Old Friend Jim

Strength:

Overall a great tubeless tire.

Tires wear quickly, especially the rear.

At first I thought this tire was great, especially in dry, loose conditions, it also gripped well on slick rock. I still like the tire a lot; however it does wear much faster than other tires I have used recently. I like the softer rubber compound, so it is a tradeoff that may be worth it for the right riding conditions. I am not sure I would ride them in Moab again. Four chilis for value and rating, they would get five on both if the tread was more durable; however, they still are a good tire and do what they are designed to do very well.

Kenda Nevegal and Small Block Eight, various Maxxis

[Nov 06, 2010]
prc68

Strength:

Exclt dry grip, OK with rock, wet grip is a problem

Price even on ebay..Not durable as rear try.

great try in the dry. Problem in wet even though widely spaced knobs help with the clay dirt where I ride. Used 2.4 front and both 2.2 and 2.4 rear. Wear rate on rear is pretty high. Eventually went back to the nobby nic which suits my riding conditions a bit better.

[Oct 31, 2010]
gschacht

Strength:

Very predictable and great front and rear traction in the DRY ONLY. In the dry the front lets you know in a very controllable manner when it stars to drift or slide, put more weight on the front and lean some more and bingo, more traction. The rear has gobs of traction. I ride single track, fire roads and down fire lanes so I get a variety of conditions to test my tires in summer and winter.

Lethal in mud or wet - this tire SUCKS in wet and mud, very unpredictable, especially in the front if you are doing anything but slow up hill riding. Have your health insurance up to date if you plan on riding in the winter wet/mud!

Great tire for DRY ONLY! Expensive. Wear ok - I replace every other season and sometimes every season if we have had a lot of dry riding weather. I have had no problems with sidewall durability, burping or flats, but I do not jump with this bike. I run at 30 PSI front, 32 PSI rear and weigh about 178LBS. The bike weighs 32.6 lbs.

Note: I am rating for DRY riding ONLY.

Other Continental UST, Panaracer, etc

[Oct 18, 2010]
headshot

Strength:

Good grip, large air volume even in 2.2 and like other recent Conti tyres, wear is good with knobs getting smaller but retaining their sharp edges.

Am not convinced it or Race Kings have the casing strength as a general purpose tyre. For the first time ever, I managed to flatten this tyre on the front of my bike when I hit a rock while downhilling a gentle gradient on my local trail. The rock punctured the casing through the tread and also put a slit in the sidewall just above the bead. This is a weak spot as the sidewall proper seems tough. Its also virtually irreparable although I have done a patch job and its holding air at the moment but must still be test ridden. The wide tread spacing is good for shedding mud but leaves the casing more vulnerable - see below...

A lovely tyre, looks good, love the bold graphics but has questionable durability in my book. I am not that heavy (168 lbs)and although I ride aggresively I am not a dh racer. Perhaps I simply had bad luck, but in my book, a tubeless tyre should be able to deal with the odd sharp rock without flatting in two places. Based on my similar experience with a Raceking (probably on the same rock two weeks easrlier - I kid not - must still go back and check teh trail) i'd say that these tyres have a weakspot just at the bead and snakebite just like a tube. The Raceking was actually used as a rear tyre and the hole in the tread was smaller probaby because the closer tread protects the casing a bit better. I think I treated my Maxxis UST tyres pretty much the same but never had this kind of problem... i still say its a good tyre because it works well especially in the front but am marking it down for durability issues...

Maxxis - X Mark and Larsen

[Sep 15, 2010]
dorse

Strength:

light

I was unable to run the pressure lower than 30psi with out the bead coming off the rim. Lots of burping. This tire is so light, it must be used with stan's or some other similar product. rear tire wears fast.

This tire works all right in loom or buff conditions. A little sketchy when wet.

maxis, hutchitson

[Jul 14, 2010]
ggnarl

Strength:

Round profile makes for smooth predictable cornering at speed on hard pack.

Price. On the rear it will wear quick because it has less rubber per inch. But that makes it lighter!

This is a great front tire due to its round profile and evenly spaced knobs. On the back its gonna wear quick, I love this tire in 2.4 size on the front matched to a small block eight, larsen tt, or other close knob rear tire. I ran my last one for six months of frequent riding before replacing it. It is a little over priced at 58.00, but whats a extra 20 $ for a performing tire.

Too many to list

[Jun 15, 2010]
charlesinoc

Strength:

Quality build of tire consistent with any continental tire. Light weight. Comes in a pretty box.

Grip. Cornering. stability.

While descending a fire road at speed, this tire lacks cornering abilities. On straight aways downhill, it makes the hair on my the back of my neck stand up. It's sketchy and nervous, has a mind of it's own. Very slippery when wet on hard pack with rocks.

This tire is a very poor performer. If you want light weight but don't mind flying off the trail to your demise, buy this tire.

I don't understand how a simple tire could perform this poorly? Switched tire to a different brank, and my confidence is restored.

Kenda El Mocco, Kenda Small block eight, Panaracer Fire,

[Jun 04, 2010]
engr_dave

Strength:

Stable, good cornering, super grip on rocks, easy to mount

tread wear

These tires grip well on every surface. Running 2.2 rear and 2.4 front. Definitely confidence-inspiring. Eats up dry and rocky desert terrain. Excellent puncture resistance with Stans. Tough sidewalls but I did manage to cut one right at the bead - probably from rock hit at too low pressure (<29psi). Problem is... center tread wears down really fast on the rear. Overall an excellent tire if you don't mind replacing the rear every six weeks.

Huchinson Python, Maxxis Crossmark, Michelin XCR, WTB Velociraptor

[Apr 21, 2010]
KevinK

Strength:

This is the 2.4 UST version. Running at 30psi, ultimate grip,and adds stability. Goes over anything.

Heavy! Expensive.

One of the best tires I've ever used, period. Wide 2.4 foot print adds stability in sand, cornering, and over technical terrain.

Continental Race King 2.2 UST, WTB Weirwolves 2.1 UST