Bontrager XR2 Tubeless Tire

Bontrager XR2 Tubeless Tire

• Fast rolling XC tire designed for loose over hardpack
  • Closely spaced center area rolls easily

[Nov 16, 2013]
Brook
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Light, fast rolling, and aggressively priced.

Running as tubeless has a poor seal.

Using Bontrager (AKA: DT Swiss) rims, Bontrager tubeless rim strip, and Bontrager sealant on my own bike I thought I would have no problems getting the wheels to seat easy, BUT THEY DONT! I would like to point out that I was A Trek mechanic so I know what I am doing. I've had tubeless tires I can mount with a floor pump but after 2 CO2 cartridges and a lot of frustration I had to give up and use a compressor and it still went flat the next day when I needed it for a ride. I missed a good ride because of this miserable excuse for a tire. BTW I put a Specialized Butcher on the rear and had no trouble?!?!?

Bontrager XR4 Team Issued TLR Tubeless (original equipment for my Trek Remedy).

[Sep 21, 2012]
Oli B

Strength:

Lightweight. Perfect tubeless qualities on Mavic Cross-Trail rims, minimal air leak and easy setup with a footpump.

Terrible grip on almost all conditions throughout the summer season, I even lost grip on a damp pavement (wasn't even going quickly) and ended up spinning 180 on a wet purpose built trail (I later did the same corner in the same conditions on Maxxis tyres at twice the speed). Twitchy in the dry, lethal on wet stones. They really knocked my confidence riding although as a plus point with a better tyre upfront they have improved my "drifting". Lot of road noise and they have worn down at a tremendous rate. Even on dry tarmac they slew about the rim in a really disconcerting way. The only conditions they were ok was very deep mud but thens thats an equaliser for most tyres.

I personally won't be buying these again, it's ashame because on paper they are ideal. You could possibly experiment with lower pressures, I generally use them around 30-40psi depending on conditions.

Maxxis

[Jul 07, 2011]
zippinveedub

Strength:

Lightweight, Good traction, Excellent tubeless setup

Cost, Grip in mud

An awesome all around tire, I run these with 2.3 front and a 2.1 rear tubeless on bontrager wheels. Very easy to setup tubeless, nice high volume tire with much better traction and almost identical rolling resistance to a small block 8 at the same weight.

Kenda sb8, nevegal, panaracer fire xc

[Dec 30, 2010]
nyczbubba

Strength:

VERY FAST and light tire. I only pinch flat once with this tire. I am very surprised at how they corner and really how fast they are.

They wear out pretty quickly

Very good tire and definitely worth trying out. If you are into XC riding.

Panaracer Fire XC pro, Maxxis High Roller, WTB Mutano Raptor, Maxxis DHR

[Aug 14, 2010]
David_315

Strength:

Fast rolling.

mud and damp rocks.

Just amazing. Could not have asked for a better tire.

[Jun 27, 2010]
rideskake

Strength:

Great cornering and very fast rolling tire.

Have not found one yet.

I replaced the XR1 that came on my new bike with these and could not be happier. They roll very fast and corner great at 26lbs in the front and 30 in the rear. I have not taken them in any extreme mud yet but will update when I do.

Bontrager XR1, WTB Velociraptor

[Apr 18, 2010]
offroadtoad

Strength:

Good grip in wet sloppy conditions Fast rolling

Have not found one yet

These tires came on a used bike I bought and they were brand new. They hooked up on the gnarly North Shore trails a day after the rain. They were predictable across wet roots, loose rock gardens, steep descents, wet bridges. They shed the mud and crud with ease. Hooked up really well on steep ascents with wet roots. Other tires would have spun out.

The ride on pavement to and from the trail rolled fast. All around a pretty decent tire. I was surprised.

Decent tire here in Pacific NW where it rains a lot.
BTW I ran 35 PSI in the front and 40 PSI in the rear.

Panaracer Fire xc pro, Nokian NBT NBX, Ritchey Z-Max Michelin, IRC

[Apr 13, 2010]
mtbbiker@heart

Strength:

Rolls well, bites in the sands and loose sandy conditions

Muddy conditions, a bit slippery

Pleasantly surprised. These were the tires included with the bike, and I was planning to change them. After riding on these for a month, I have been very pleased with their performance. They grab very well in loose sandy over hard pack conditions (typical of So.Cal. riding). I have found them to ride well through cornering (did not feel my front tire slipping). If your Trek comes with these tire, give them a try before replacing, you maybe surprised.

IRC Mythos XCII

[Dec 29, 2009]
a114808

Strength:

Super (Surpisingly) fast rolling, great traction and cornering. Fits up nice Tubeless. Good in wet, loose conditions.

Not great in Muddy conditions.

My new universal tire for all of the conditions I ride in. Does most things really well, and I can ride it all day. The closely spaced center knobs allow the tire to roll really fast, but still provide great traction and braking. The tall shoulders allow for great cornering. Really good.

Bontrager XDX, Bontrager Jones XR, Kenda Small Block 8, Bontrager XR1, Specialized FastTrak LK.