Bontrager Mud X Tubeless Tire

Bontrager Mud X Tubeless Tire

• 26 x 2.0 (47/50) 550g
  • 26 x 1.8 (44/48) 620g ARC
  • 26 x 1.8 (44/48) 470g

Designed for use in muddy conditions.

Gum-Bi 60/50a dual compound for fast rolling and exceptional grip on wet roots and rocks.

Lightweight casing with Kevlar bead Tubeless ready.

• USER REVIEWS

[Jan 15, 2012]
    Nozes

Strength:

Excellent grip in the wet/drying/almost dry;light;good volume;very good quality rubber;it even rolls fast!
    Much more than just a mud only tire!

Vague feeling @ low pressure in the dry...but hey,read the sidewall,doesn't it say MUD?

These are in the top 3 of my all time favorite tires,and being in mtb since '89 I guess that's saying something.
    I was expecting good mud performance,but not much more beyond that.Well you can say I was blown away with the performance in most conditions with the MudX on.It even rolls fast in tarmac,who would expect that from a mud tire?
    It's the only winter tire for me.

Kenda,Schwalbe,IRC,Onza,Maxxis...

[Sep 03, 2009]
    bordercollie1

Strength:

Good mix of sensible weight, tyre volume and tread.
    Very easy to fit tubeless with Stans strips and fluid on Mavic 717s. One tiny pin hole sealed with stans and has since held air as well as a UST tyre.
    The big knobs protect the tyre from flints. No cuts after a 7 hour ride that cut up a UST tyre the week before.
    Very good moto cross looks
    Honest product width given in mms on the packaging

Wrong weight on the packaging (but they got it right on the web)
    It can feel vague when you push it on hardpack - put this is a wet weather XC race tyre so not really a fair comment.

This tyre was sold to me as an all rounder, but it is really a winter or soft ground tyre.
    When tubeless it runs faster on hard pack than a Panaracer Fire XC Pro, and similar to the Ignitor and Crossmark.
    On the road it is louder than a Panaracer Fire but it runs faster off road as it is tubless.
    I ran the tyre at 28.5 psi front and 30 rear.
    I like the idea of the softer compound (gum bi) edges but didn't notice any difference on the ride.
    Interestingly, these tyres come from Taiwan wheras the other Bontrager tyres on the shelf were from Thailand. I say this because the Mud X had a more quality look and robust feel to it. My bet is that it comes from the Maxxis factory. I paid £33 each for thes tyres but I have seen them for £20 which is good value.

This summer I ran Panaracer Fire F+R, then Maxxis Crossmark / Ignitor LUST tubeless.

[Sep 30, 2008]
    jmeyerle

Strength:

This tire works great in mud, wet roots, rocks and still manages to roll very fast on hardpack. High volume, can run low pressure and still pretty light (29er 2.0 version).

I used this tire at the 2008 Vermont 50 which was one of the muddier years, although not a total mud-fest. I ran 27lbs and it still rolled great on the road sections and hooked up in the muck like no other tire I have ever used...there are a lot on that list. When climbing it would grip the roots and rocks when others around me were slipping and pushing their bikes. I was also catching other riders on the slippery downhill sections because I did not need to brake for the corners.

This tire will stay on my bike through the winter and probably most of the spring races.

Karma, Nobby Nic, Serac

[Sep 15, 2008]
    robotserious

Strength:

Unbelievable traction in the hub deep mud and most other conditions.

The back end feels a little loose on faster rockier descents due to lateral flex.

I used these tires for the first time at the merida mtb marathon in Penrith. The day before i was riding Panaracer Fire xc's and i was all over the place. I panicked and bought these. It was, at the risk of sounding cliched, a revelation. I was the only one in my group riding all the (hub deep) sections without spinning out. They just keep on biting!

[Jul 09, 2008]
    mhoopes

Strength:

Very light (~550 grams @ 2.0), grippy compound, sheds mud reasonably well. Conforms to small rocks and roots better than the average.

Light sidewalls fold over easily - burp a little air when pushed hard laterally. More porous than my Geax Barros (lose ~2-3 psi/week with Stan's). A first choice in the mud and shallow wet sand; all but the really sticky stuff.

Highly recommended wet-weather tire. Good for year-round use unless pushed hard laterally. Lighter than most, but higher rolling resistance and supple sidewall prevent me from strongly recommending it for summer use.

None.

[May 09, 2008]
    Dominic Efford

Strength:

exellent grip over wet roots and thick mud.light wieght

top tyres that give huge amounts of confidence in the wet

kenda nevgal,conti vertical

[May 08, 2008]
    Paul Mackie

Strength:

Grip. Grip. Grip. Grip. Roll suprisingly well for a mud tyre. Cheap as chips. Light.

Doesn't hold air that well as a tubeless tyre should (even with prescribed sealants).

This is possibly the best tyre I have ever used (and I have been riding for 17 years).

Its cheap: £20 online, delivered (Tredz).

The grip is phenominal in nearly all conditions that I've thrown at it. The tread pattern isn't anything special, so I can only conclude that it must be the rubber compound. Whatever it is - it works! Brilliant as a mud tyre and not bad in dry conditions either. Great over roots, although can struggle sometimes of rocks - but most tyres do that.

It does suffer in terms of stability when pushed hard on harder ground - but then again, that's not what its designed for. The tall, soft mud knobbles wobble and the tyre's lightweight carcass folds over quite easily. Minor niggles.

In my eyes, this is the only winter tyre to have.

Panaracer Fire Mud. Maxxis Wet Scream. Michelain XCR.

[Apr 20, 2008]
    Martin

Strength:

Quite light and grippy in the dry

Not very good as a mud tyre, more of an all rounder

These tyres seem to be great on the rear but awful as a front, ive put a kenda blue grove on the front and find it cope a lot better with the mud, the bontragers seemed more of a general tyre than a mud tyre to me and i found them to be exellent in dryer conditions on hard well drained ground.

Every brand you can think of and i still havent found the holy grail

[Feb 05, 2008]
    Mike

Strength:

1.8's cut through the mud. Tread clears well.

Packs up in peanut butter clay (but then clears quickly when out of that soil type).

I had the unfortunate experience of using these in 2 races last year (could have been 3 times, but I was too optimistic about the weather). They gripped when other riders tires were slipping on climbs, corners and downhills. I am definitely glad I added these to my tire supply in case the weather turns ugly before a race.

Ignitors, Jones XR