Vittoria Ultralite Tube

Vittoria Ultralite

Ian (aka Boz) Boswell   Cross Country Rider [Sep 30, 2001]
Strength:

Light weight, cheap when bought at 5 for $14 (£9.50), worked fine (until today)

TWO valve blowouts where the valve simply blew out of the tube causing instant deflation (one front wheel, one rear - had been used for 18 months B4 without problems)

I hate knocking products as so often it's not really the product more the user/installer.....

Until today these worked just fine being lightweight, not too prone to punctures, cheap and generally a GOOD thing. Would have been a rating of 5, but that was yesterday...:-(

However, today I ended up riding for 10k/7miles on the rear tyre/rim because I suffered TWO tube failures at the valve - basically the valve blew out of the tube. First the rear one went, ok a fluke, got spare tube and replaced. 2 hrs later under almost identical riding conditions the other went albeit this time in the front wheel (I was being real careful about the rear JIC)... Both times it happended whilst descending on the Andersen/Oaks trail in The Blue Mountains NSW, Aus (nice trail BTW) and both times I was a) going quickly and b) using the brakes pretty often - certainly the rims were pretty hot.

Conclusion - with the extra heat perhaps local, perhaps the pressure went up a little and puhed the tubes over the edge strength-wise? Certainly I've NEVER has this problem B4 but then I've never used these tubes in high temps - I only used them once I returned to the UK from the US in 99 and it was pretty hot today.

So beware, hard UK use was fine but raise the temps and be prepared to walk some - at least the moon was bright tonight down under....!!!

Boz (Merlin build their wheels well as although the tyre was pretty beat aka destoyed the wheel is just fine)

Similar Products Used: Various - I alwasy buy when you get cheap multi deals. Might need some more now but not this brand
Peter   Cross Country Rider [Nov 06, 2001]
Strength:

They're light.

They're weak.

I really wanted these to work. But frankly they're not strong enough for typical MTB use. I think, under perfect conditions (using talc, carefully seating the tube, perfect inflation at the correct PSI, and riding smooth hardpack), they would be a great way to save weight. Unfortunately, moutain biking, unlike road riding, has a lot of factors that you can't control. I had three pinchflats, including one in a race, then I switched back to regular 'ol el cheapo butyl tubes. I can't recommend them.

ben   [Mar 08, 2001]

vittoria latex tubes suck. despite all the marketing hype, they puncture twice as easy as a regular butyl tube. i bought a pair, used them about 100 miles, and flatted about three times before i said screw it i just wasted 20 bucks.

ever try to patch one of these things? even with a latex patch? can't be done. i don't care what park tools says.

stick with butyl. if you must have light weight, get a light weight butyl for half the cost. it'll puncture easier, but at least you can patch it.

Christophe   Weekend Warrior [Oct 29, 2000]
Strength:

Review is for VITTORIA LATEX TUBES.
Super light weight- less rotational weight =VERY GOOD. They are very "springy" and lively.

Blow outs galore. Riding along and then psssssSSSS! I went through about 4 of these in one year because of this and not being able to patch flats with something other than glueless patches.

Great tube for short-term use. When they have been ridden on for a while, they blow out. Great for racing or if you have dough out the wazoo.

When they do blow out, cut the tube in half, tie a knot in one end, and connect the other to a hose. crank up the water and watch it inflate! Then BOOM. Keep your kids entertained.

3 chilis for each because of low-reliability.

Similar Products Used: Specialized light weight butyl tubes
Rainshadow   Cross Country Rider [Sep 06, 2000]
Strength:

so, so supple

none, really. maybe a bit pricey.

(I'm reviewing the Ultralight butyl tubes, which weigh 110g on the digital shop scale at Soul Cycles.) these tubes made such a difference in the ride quality of my Fire xc pro's it's amazing. they would almost always slip a little bit in the corners, but with these tubes I got a good 10% more controlled traction and lean out of them. I'm running them at 45psi no problems- no pinch flats and they hold air for a week+ just fine. I'll never go back to a cheep tube again.

Similar Products Used: generic fat taiwanese tubes
Robin   Cross Country Rider [Jun 19, 2000]
Strength:

Weight 90g for ultralite 125g for 2.1 latex, response, lowers rolling resistance, wow factor over butyls

V.slight loss of pressure over days, purple

This is for the Vittoria Latex only; This tube may be not as light as the continental but it's thicker and more durable, which is needed in a Latex. It significantly lowers rolling resistance which is particulary noticable on the road, no tube I've tried equals the springyness, feel and speed that this tube gives, When paired with a light wheelset and some Ritchley s,slicks it's belts along,it makes as much difference as the best tires for your type of riding and as I got these for £6 each ($10) I can't even complain about the purple colour!