Torelli Extra Light Tubes Tube

Extra Light Tubes

Torelli Extra Light Tubes

Slappy McDougal   Weekend Warrior [Jul 06, 2003]
Strength:

Light weight

non-threaded valve stem; Expensive. Prone to tear at stem.

Used regular tubes all season in '02 and never had a single flat. Used these Torelli tubes this '03 season for only 2 weeks and already the tube tore at stem while re-inflating. These tubes need to be threaded. Weight savings useless if they tear too easily. Back to regular tubes for me.

rsq798   Cross Country Rider [Jul 01, 2003]
Strength:

Lightweight, not too expensive

The ones from Price Point must have been from a bad batch

I bought five tubes from Price Point a month ago. Four developed a leak in the exact same location (despite being in two separate wheels) along the folded edge (when deflated) at the seam where the two ends of the tube meet. One developed a one inch gash. What was interesting is that all five blew while in the trunk of my car, not while riding.

I emailed Bill at Torelli directly about this, who said that the tubes must not have been vulcanized properly and that he would forward my email to the manufacturer. He also promply sent me ten (10!) replacement tubes. If that's not customer service, I don't know what is.

What's also interesting is that when the last tube blew, I had an older Torelli tube (2+ years) in my front tire. The new one from Pricepoint blew, but the old one is still fine. I've used Torelli tubes with no problems before, so I think that maybe Price Point got a bad batch of tubes. I notice now that many of the other complaints about tube failures in this forum also bought them from Price Point. I wouldn't get them again from Price Point (nothing against Price Point, only these circumstances), but I would from elsewhere.

Five chilis for great customer service and a lightweight tube at a decent price.
Four chilis for a history of working well (except for this latest incident).

DAN SETHNER   Cross Country Rider [Jun 26, 2003]
Strength:

NONE

Tubes fail without a puncture.

These tubes suck! Bought five from pricepoint for $25. Each one split after a few rides. Don't waste your money on them.

Similar Products Used: Continental and Maxxis
woodyak   Cross Country Rider [Oct 30, 2001]
Strength:

Superlight

Superweak

These tires are a mere fantasy. They are superlight but they are also superweak. I rode them 2x before I got a flat. I patched it and tried again 3x later both tires got flats at the same time. I'm used to getting a few flats a year not a month.

If you don't mind getting flats then buy these. If it annoys you then don't.

I'm considering trying Stan's Tubeless next.

Similar Products Used: Specialized lights, generic
Captain Phun   Racer [Oct 02, 2003]
Strength:

Tear at valve stem. Threadless head sucks for using a pump.

These tubes are a waste of money and time. Kmart tubes are better than these hunks of junk.

Similar Products Used: Maxxis flyweight (much better and lighter), various cheap replacement tubes
Eric   Racer [Jul 19, 2002]
Strength:

Very weak. Not capable of holding up under any conditions.

Do not purchase this tube! It really sucks. This tube can't stand up to anything. I put this tube in and ran a race only to blow the stem at abot 8 miles into it. It cost me, big time. I had purchased a lot of 5 tubes and tossed every one of them into the can. Don't make the same mistake I made.

Similar Products Used: Specialized
Joe   Cross Country Rider [Jan 15, 2002]
Strength:

Broke right out of the box. Torelli should bend over and receive many swift kicks in the a$$

The worst tube I have ever used. Tore at the valve stem during first install. I just took the new tube out of the box pumped a little air in it, and heard a huge hiss. The tear was at the valve stem area. DON'T BUY THIS TUBE!

joe   [Sep 10, 2001]
Strength:

once shredded, provides nice latex for straps and bands, comes nicely powdered

no threaded presta valve, too thin for outdoor use. Damage which might lead to small hole in other tubes leads to rips and tears in these tubes. Use these tubes and you better carry a spare, not just a patch kit. Don't be fooled by made in France, seems like the Taiwanese know how to make better tubes.

Save weight somewhere else, not on this critical component. Way too thin. Use these and you will be stranded, guaranteed. Wish I could give zero chilis.

Similar Products Used: cheng shin, continental
Jon Churchill   [Apr 29, 2004]
Strength:

Light weight, inexpensive

valve stems bend easily

Inexpensive way to reduce rotational weight. I've had no problems with flats so far. I ride cross country over rocks and roots, I've had rocks and sticks jammed in between the rim and tires and the tubes still hold up. So far durability hasn't been an issue with these tubes. I still carry a spare tube and patch kit with me just in case.

Similar Products Used: stock
Steve Brown   racer [Nov 09, 1998]

The torelli lite-weight tubes have served me well. They are a great way to save rotational weight (the most important kind). I use the schrader valve version and have had no more flats than conventional tubes. We ride in the desert foothills around here and ther is abundant cactus spines to cause punctures in any type of tube. For training in this puncture-prone environment; most of us use conventional tubes or ultra lites filled with 3 to 4 ounces of slime. Overall, I will usually race with the torellis w/o slime and take my chances. Again, I think they are a worthwhile product.