Specialized Thorn Resistant Tube

Specialized Thorn Resistant Tube

Innovative use of tube material provides greater protection against punctures but is still reasonably light.

[Dec 19, 2001]
Scott Frazier

Strength:

fairly light
somewhat thron resistant

The experience of the previous two posters matches mine closely. If these tubes offer any added puncture resistance, compared to standard tubes, it is minimal. However, they are a bit lighter than the standard tubes I had been using so I'll continue with them.

[Apr 16, 2001]
Mikey

Strength:

It's just a tube...

Thorn "resistant", not thorn "proof"

I gave these a try hoping to be pleasantly surprised. I wasn't.

I think the tubes actually worked as advertised, which is to say that if you come across the occasional thorn in your riding, the tube might not puncture immediately. Clearly, these were not designed for - and do not work against - large numbers of goat head thorns which embed in the tire casing and punture the tube.

I can't say that this is a bad product. It's just not designed for the nasty conditions in which I ride. For about a 50 percent price premium, I flatted almost as quickly as I would have had I been running standard tubes.

Other tubes.

[Oct 11, 2002]
Fred

Strength:

When used in conjunction with tire liners and a "Flak Jacket" tire I had no punctures,

however, in the last two months I've been through three of these. One, freshly installed only moments earlier at a shop, blew while in the back seat of the car. All the valves were bad. Did I just hit a bad lot?

Anyone riding in lots of debris like I do needs a more solid product. I put in about 150 miles a week on the streets of houston. Putting on the spare too often is no fun. I'm looking for a new brand.

[Jun 19, 2004]
Reed Ellis

Strength:

They work OK for light dirt trips and they are fairly cheap.

Once you get into the desert these tubes are the last thing you want to be rolling on.

If you ride in the city, this tire is fine, although i pinched flatted my first one jumping. My second one poped due to a thorn. I would suggest Raleigh Tubes (they are alittle more expensive, but worth it) along with slime sealant and a slime tire liner. i ride more than 50 miles a week in the desert and have not had a single flat. you could do the same with a specialized tube and probably have great results aswell. so overall, i give it three chilis.

Giant Tube (also bad) Raleigh Tubes (highly recomended)

[Oct 11, 2001]
edward matheis

Strength:

minimal thorn resistance

cost & weight

these tubes, as others have reported hold up reasonably well, but for me the big issue is the goatheads, and they pretty much have stranded me many times with this product almost as easily as the specialized standard tube. I'd ust them if I lived somewhere else.

standard tubes