Specialized Standard Tube

Standard

The one thing we all need to go riding. Lightweight, consistent in quality and exactly the right size.

waltair   [Jan 27, 2014]
Strength:

usually sold on special prices

Failure after a few blocks, about 5 minutes riding.

Also noticed the word "thin" on the tube. Stupid me, I bought three of them on special. Should have paid $3 more and bought one good tube instead of three poor quality tubes that cause frustration. Replaced each failed tube with an new one, and they all failed within blocks. I just could not understand what was wrong with the rim, the same rim that the previous tube worked fine in for years. Now I understand the tubes are garbage.

Pongo 3   Weekend Warrior [Feb 14, 2011]
Strength:

Light, easy to carry loads

Exploded as I pumped it up to 60 PSI. Split along the seem. I didn't even get to use it before it exploded.

Crap. Do not buy. Unless you really enjoy replacing ineers tubes.

Similar Products Used: Loads, and they all work (what does a tube have to do???)
the piper 317   Cross Country Rider [Jul 15, 2009]
Strength:

Absolutely nothing

These things blow at the seems all the time from just pumping up these pieces of garbage.

Avoid these at all costs. They are terrible.

Similar Products Used: Continental
chiplikestoridehisbike   Cross Country Rider [Jul 12, 2008]
Strength:

Held air with initial inflate. Short presta stem.

After third flat on rear noticed the words thin printed on tube. No kidding. Tubes would pinch at my normal pressures if you looked at them wrong. Weakest tube I have ever ridden.

Not a suitable tube unless you ride on incredibly smooth trails or very high pressures. Seemed to be less than half as durable as the Bontrager tubes I normally get from a closer shop here in town. These were printed with thin on them so they may not be the standard tube, but they were all the local Specialized shop carried. Bad enough that I pulled them out of both wheels.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager, Kenda etc.
foot   [May 28, 2003]
Strength:

good for one ride

flat easy

crap crap crap. I've been very lucky with not flatting too often, until I bought one of these to replace the old stock Chen Shin. I don't care what tube I use, but these are all the shop carries, and quite frankly, they suck.
The stock tube has lasted 1 year on the same bike, but I have punctured 2 of these tubes 2 times each. I'm going back to the bargain bin to find some no name tubes that work.
It's frustrating to see something that should be a quality product suck.

David   Weekend Warrior [May 23, 2007]
Strength:

inexpensive... just under $5. Sold and nearly every bike shop

cheaply made. Doesnt stand up to anything more than smooth flat surfaces. The tubes sometimes come pre-popped so you dont have to do it yourself.... (holes from the factory)

3 flats in 2 weeks. The first one I used popped on a very easy trail under light stress for no aparent reason. The second one split open when I hopped a curb in downtown going very slowly and landed just a little early (any other tube would have been just fine), and then the 3rd tube I bought to replace it had a tiny pin hole in it from the factory and of course wouldnt even inflate. Today I have to go back to the shop to have this tube replaced. If I can I will try to get a different brand and pay the difference, cause this tube sucks!

If you ride trails dont use this tube.
If you do any kind of urban riding dont use this tube.
if you only ride on sidewalks and never do anything fun, then this tube will be fine, but still expect a flat every month or so.

Similar Products Used: none yet
Brett Wolmarans   Weekend Warrior [Oct 07, 2005]
Strength:

availability, distribution, find them in any store

valve stem rips out for no reason. 4 boxes of regular tubes and all had lite tubes in them. Bad packing, guys!

absolute crap. I had a flat every single ride and stupidly kept buying these, only to find that not only did I get flats from puny thorns the stems ripped out for no reason.
This could have been because I had lite tubes packaged in regular tube boxes.

Similar Products Used: Conti, Specialized 2.30 tube (which is very good)
Lee   [Nov 01, 2007]
Strength:

Easy to get

They like splitting at the seams every now and then...

They're the only tube the shop near me stocks. Unfortunately, some of the one's I've bought split at the seams after a few months, even when used in the appropriate size for the tire. And you can't patch them once they do that.
If I remember right the label on the actual tube says they're made by Kenda. Hit & miss on quality, which shouldn't happen for something as simple as a tube.

Rob   [Mar 09, 2003]
Strength:

price weight

none so far just bought them at 2:00pm now it's 5:30pm

you get what you paid for here the story today i walk out to the garage only to find out I got this huge torn in my front tire and to top it all off it was flat! so i call my mommy she tkes me to the bike shop but it was colosed then on our way home and we stoped at huston trail to see if they got what i'm looking for they did so i went for a ride got all muddy......and the girl i like (sarah) noitced me but for the wrong reason i was coverd in mud thanks speicalized!