Specialized Air Lock Tube

Specialized Air Lock Tube

Specialized Air Lock

[May 08, 2016]
Daniel Keiley

Strength:

First ride with these tubes. Close to home I intentionally headed for a goat head infested area. The rear sealed fine with about 4 goat heads as is holding a day later. The front tire got about 12. I rolled the tire around to help it seal, pumped it up and it was leaking slowly as I finished my ride.

High Rolling resistance on pavement! One ride and Done for the tube that took a lot of thorns. Removed all the thorns from the front tire and patched three punctures in the tube. Re-inflate the tube in or out of the tire, another puncture that was sealed starts leaking, repeat, no luck. No surprise, the tube contracts and stretches so thats a lot to ask of a liquid sealant.

Removing all the thorns from the casing and installing a fresh tube is NOT extinct. Don't count 100% on the sealant getting you through a long ride.

Still better than having to patch after every encounter with goat heads, so these tubes are a modest plus so far.

[Feb 20, 2015]
Martin

Strength:

These work for me, but I'm using the 29x1.9/2.3 size.
My local MB track has patches of three corner jacks over it, at times I come home with six to twelve stuck in the tires.
I always make it home though...
Learned that it's best to leave the thorns in the tire until I get home if possible, then pull them out and rotate the wheel so the hole is at the bottom. If it's doesn't seal right away I bounce the wheel a few times to get the sealing fluid down the inside of the tube. I then add extra air and repeat for the remaining jacks.
Without seal sealing tubes I can't complete one 10km ride without a flat. Thicker thorn proof type tubes are better than regular tubes, but still fail me every few rides, these self sealing ones are much better for me.

Don't always seal right away, sometimes needs to be helped by turning the wheel so hole is down.
Have had issues with weak tube to valve strength, and replace two tubes in two years because of that.

I'll keep buying them.

Slime additive

[Nov 09, 2012]
VonniePedals

Strength:

Company is giving me a refund

Tube splits internally

Commuting since 2/12/07 27,000 miles under my belt. These tubes are a lesson that I will not have to learn again. One of them split for no reason. I have not had a "technical" for 4 years. Once I got home (long story) I stripped them both out and replaced them with my past tubes. The company is refunding me, I'm sending them back.

[Oct 07, 2011]
Wryfox

Strength:

Extremely heavy, stiff, and goo oozing from the valve from the start. One presta valve of the pair would simply not close without a wrench to tighten the nut.

Really bad tube. Simply not functional due to weight or performance. Took them out after two days.

Slime tubes which work perfect.

[Mar 07, 2011]
Terry Culhane

Strength:

Who knows? I'm having trouble pumping it up.

The valve stems are not threaded, so I can't push the pump fitting onto the presta stem with enough force to get a tight seal. The stem just pushes into the rim. Also the goo inside the tube is oozing out of the valve and making a mess of the pump and the stem.

Time to get out the pliers.

[Dec 01, 2010]
hotrozz

Strength:

It holds air if you can get any air in it.

Stems are too short and not threaded. Specialized floor pump won't even work with these tubes.

Don't waste your money on these over-priced junk.

[Nov 21, 2009]
Livermoron

Strength:

um I guess they don't leak if they get a puncture.

OMG THESE ARE SLOW! Made my bike feel like I am in mud all the time. I was recently going down hill on a decent grade and I swear I was slowing down. I had to pedal to maintain speed.

Not worth the occasional patching or tube replacing unless you love to spin and go slow.

should have listened to the guy behind the counter telling me they suck. I was just ticked off because the goat heads got me two weekends in a row.

Adding weight in the wheels/tires is dumb.

none...ever again

[Jan 17, 2009]
trekex9

Not as good as a Slime tube at sealing

I use this on my commuter bike. I will not use this product in the future, Slime tubes aren't perfect but they certainly seal better than the Specialized Airlock tubes.

Slime tubes

[Jan 13, 2009]
alec3333

Strength:

Great Idea from an otherwise great brand

Does not plug holes, just splatters "sealant" all over the inside of tire

3 days after installation the front airlock tube split at the seam next to valve stem. This happened while it was in my garage and not being ridden and had only had 35 psi in it. I replaced it with a 3ish year old Slime tube and it has held air ever since. I wouldn't recommend to anyone due to the sheer unreliability of Specialized Airlocks.

slime tubes

[May 15, 2008]
tim

Strength:

They hold air

...except if you get a puncture

I have used these in hopes that during my rides in Kyrgyzstan I wouldn't be stuck out in the boonies somewhere. Good thing I always carry patch kits and pump. These things are worthless. The stuff spews out but doesn't seal. Save your money. DO NOT rely on these tubes to seal any punctures.

slime tubes