Slime Smart Tube Tube

Slime SmartTubes are pre-filled with Slime liquidTire sealant. Not light, but justTheTicket if your area has a bigThorn problem.

alaskadude   Weekend Warrior [Jun 19, 2015]
Strength:

seems to work fine

none so far

I had to come back and write this review. I read the negative reviews right after I purchased them. I noticed that all the people that did not like them had pushed their bike home. They were not carrying spare gear with them and were disgruntled when they got a flat.
I dont think the tubes will stop a large hole, but it likely seals small thorn holes. Even though I have slime in my tires, I also have schwalbe mondials, a spare tube and a patch kit. And this is just for my 10 mile commute.
They seem to work fine so far. It is unrealistic to expect them to seal a large hole. They are just a little more protection than normal--not a cure all. You still have to carry a spare tube and patch kit.

Chris123321   Downhiller [Apr 28, 2009]
Strength:

-Seals most punctures
-Not terribly heavy
-Keeps air longer than other tubes
-Pre filled, no manual filling with slime
-Customer service is top notch, and quite pleasant to talk to

-Valve is easily clogged by the sealant, but only if you aren't careful
-Slightly off balance tire until the slime spreads around the tire
-Slightly more expensive than other tubes

Works well, but you can't beat a patch kit for large punctures, this DOES NOT replace it, this seals small holes well. The website says to rotate the tire such that the valve is at the 10 or 2 o clock position for inflation. I found that the valve should be at the 4 or 8 position, then allowed to sit for 5-10 mins. I didn't find this out until my valve was clogged my the sealant, then I broke the plastic valve core remover. Please Note: The valve core remover does not normally break, this is an isolated incident. I contacted slime about the problem, and they sent my a high quality metal valve remover with no questions asked.

Despite minor problems that can be easily fixed/ avoided, this is a wonderful product, it works within the specified ranges very well.

All of the problems I experienced were made up for, so 5 chilis for overall rating, and 5 chilis for the value rating because this is cheaper than purchasing tube and slime seperately.

Who its for: Casual riders who don't want to worry about minor flats and punctures

Who its not for: Extremely rough conditions with possible tire lasserations, and pinch flats.

Similar Products Used: Normal tubes
Han Bozo   Downhiller [Jul 22, 2008]
Strength:

Seemed to hold up for a while

Forget Trying to patch them. Their disgusting and they don't actually "self-heal." Total BS. Maybe if you ride through a rose bush it will prevent immediate deflation but you will lose in the end.

Messy and not worth any extra money. They spray crummy green goo all over everything, they pretty much suck. They're ok as tubes go but the slime crap is a hoax.

Wadaudojak   Weekend Warrior [Jul 08, 2008]
Strength:

Works as advertised.

I've bought a couple that came with pinholes in them so that when I started to inflate them, slime started coming out. Maybe better quality control before they leave the factory would be in order.

They work as advertised. This weekend I was out riding at Wompatuck park in MA. My tires are worn down and need to be replaced. I was taking a very tight turn at a speed I should have been able to handle, but I didn't have the grip and ended up going into a thorn bush. The right side of my body got really scratched up. I was convinced that I was going to have at least one flat tire, but I was able to finish the ride (a little over an hour of riding after the accident) without any noticeable drop in tire pressure. By that evening, my front tire finally went flat. By the next morning my back tire had also gone flat. I was really impressed that I was able to get over an hour of riding on the tubes after they were both punctured by thorns.