Slime Lite Tube Tube

Lite Tube

SLIME LITE PRESTA VALVETUBE Lightest self-healingTube onThe planet. Instantly seals punctures upTo 1/8″ (3mm). Combines a lightweight butylTube with a revolutionary breakthrough in sealantTechnology without significant added weight. Weights: 26 X Presta - 219grams 700 X 19 Presta - 117grams 700 X 28 Presta - 158grams

markiemark79   Weekend Warrior [Feb 10, 2012]
Strength:

Well sounds like a great idea right?

After the first hour of riding got several goat-heads in my front tire. Did not seal the flat, had to continually stop to re-inflate the tire just to get home.

Thought it was a great idea because I have had great results with regular slime in the past, but the slime lite tube in my opinion is worthless

kkees   Racer [Oct 28, 2010]
Strength:

I always race with a slime lite in my rear tire. It has saved me so many times in races. I had one race where I finished the race with no flats, and found 3 thorns in the tire each about an inch long racing in Lajitas. Not one leak. So I have to give these a thumbs up.

I have come across a bad tube or 2 but just return it. You usually know about when you first air it up.

I would recommend.

Similar Products Used: Just regular tubes.
DrHenley   Weekend Warrior [Aug 22, 2010]

Seams

I noticed Slime leaking from a split in a seam while putting the tire back on. The split was too long for the slime to seal.
Brand new tube that won't hold air - That's pretty bad!

Similar Products Used: Regular Slime tubes
Bobster   Cross Country Rider [Sep 18, 2009]

They don't seal leaks

These don't work. I bought 2 tubes and they both failed within a week (3 rides). I think you would be better with standard weight tubes, they both leak if you get thorn punctures. Very disappointed!

Back in the day we made our own puncture resistant tubes by cutting a small (1/4") slice in a light tube and inserting a small amount of slime and then patching it. They worked better and cost less. Try it.

Similar Products Used: standard light tubes
abadfish   Weekend Warrior [Apr 07, 2009]
Strength:

light weight

expensive, 2x the price of non-sealant tubes

I wasn't going to write this review until I actually had to use the sealant features of this tube. Well, guess what happened this morning on my commute to work...

As my bike was sitting in my office, all of a sudden I heard this loud hissing and notice my tire was flat as a pancake. I inspect the tire only to find a goathead thorn partially lodged into the tire (I guess the air frantically rushed out as the thorn went from fully lodge to partially lodged). So I fill the tire up with air and noticed that the tube would not seal and the air came out again. I then unbeaded the tire (just one side) to see if there was more debris (there wasn't). I then rebeaded the tire and filled it up with air again. This time it held up. I made it home without any issues and the tire continues to hold air.

I was expecting that the tire would've sealed upon initial removal of the goathead thorn (if it did, I would've given this a 5 rating instead). I didn't think it would've taken two air fillings for the tube to seal. But in the end, it did work and do its job.

So if you decide to get this product, my advice to you is to make sure you bring plenty of CO2 cartridges (or lots of elbow grease for your hand pump) when getting the tube to seal.

Similar Products Used: N/A
Alan   [Apr 10, 2006]
Strength:

light

doesn't work

On my first ride out (<1 hour after installation on my bike and my wife's bike): my rear tire got a goat head thorn, tire went low, pulled thorn, spun the tire, pumped it up, rode 4 miles home, was very happy, tire was flat next day, then not happy. The hole was tiny. I didn't expect miracles, but it should have sealed this. Put another slime lite tube in (bought several) and will see how try number two works. I will try regular slime tube if this doesn't work.

David Fambrough   Cross Country Rider [Nov 29, 2001]
Strength:

Lighter than the original SLiME tubes at 215 grams with the same sealing results.
Available with Prestas.

Hard to patch in the field, so carry a spare.

So far so good. You can definitely tell a difference from the old, not nearly as heavy. In Texas, where catus and torns are a common trail obstacle as much as rocks and roots, it's nice to not have to stop and repair flats. That's why many of the riders use the stuff. Get them if you still want a light weight tube that offers good level of puncture resistance.

Similar Products Used: Original SLiME Tubes. Continental Lites.
Brett Wolmarans   Weekend Warrior [Oct 07, 2005]
Strength:

works

none so far

I moved down to socal from nocal, and man the goats heads thorns are a pain down here. Went through two of my lousy specialized lite tubes and then installed these, since then, no problems riding over the exact same goats-head covered trails that flatted me before. I like 'em and they're light!

Similar Products Used: regular tubes
Gavin Cregan   Cross Country Rider [May 10, 2006]
Strength:

lightweight insurance policy

valve spits slime when I add air.

I use these on my commuter bike to ride the roads in rural japan that seem to be made of gravel, broken glass and potholes. I got my first flat in six months. I had a flat every morning for three days. I fixed it by adding air and going for a 20k ride. On the fourth day I took the time to check the tube. It had a 1/4 inch gash. I do not know how well other similar tubes work but any tube that lets me ride 20k with a large hole is worth having on my bike.

Similar Products Used: none
Bill Snure   Cross Country Rider [Dec 26, 2002]
Strength:

Light

Don't seal punctures very effectively

Although I'm still using these tube they do not do what they are supposed to do, which is seal small punctures. They are light though. Therein lies the problem, to achieve the light weight they start with a thin tube and then they put in a limited amount of Slime. I don't think there is enough Slime to adequately coat the entire inside of the tube. Hence I'm not too sure I've ever had one seal a puncture like it is supposed to do. I have had a lot of flats with these tubes and have had to patch or replace them. I ride in the high desert in the Texas Panhandle, Palo Duro Canyoh St Park and you HAVE to have some kind of thorn protection here. I have had better luck with Specialized Air Lock tubes although their sealant has a tendency to dry out over time and they are heavier. The bottom line on Slime Lite tubes is that they ARE light but in the end the puncture protection is more of a "placebo effect' than actual. At between $8 and $9 ea. these tubes are expensive.