Performance UltraLight Presta ATB Tube Tube

UltraLight Presta ATB Tube

bad mechanic   Cross Country Rider [Apr 12, 2010]
Strength:

A reliable, light weight tube. Not much more to say.

None.

These tubes have proven to be as reliable as anything out there, provided the pressure isn't low. I've used them in some extremely thin walled tires, and the only flat I've gotten was from a thorn, which would flat any tube. Since an average tube weighs about 200g, these cut 70g per tube, and roughly a quarter pound of rotating weight per bike. Since I buy them whenever they go on sale at Performance, I get them for about $7 a tube, which is very cheap for a light weight tube.

These tubes are one of the rare exceptions where it's durable, light, AND cheap. There really isn't a downside.

Please be aware, however, that these are cross country or trail tubes. These aren't freeride or DH tubes.

Similar Products Used: I don't even have time to list all the different tubes I've tried. Let's just a LOT.
richard t   Cross Country Rider [Jan 23, 2007]
Strength:

light, no fuss tubes

more prone to flats than heavier tubes, but a non-issue if installed and ridden correctly

Just thought I'd add a current review on this tube.

Bottom line: It's a good ultralight tube. I've been running them on my bikes since getting back into xc riding a couple years ago. The only time I've gotten flats is when riding through sticker-ridden fields when the singletrack ended and I felt like exploring. My own fault there, though heavier tube with sealant would have saved the day.

For appropriate riding, including screaming decents and death march ascents, these tubes are solid and have never let me down!

Tom M   Weekend Warrior [Nov 08, 2002]
Strength:

Light

4 flats on one light ride.

These tubes suck. I went out for a light ride, on pavement. I didn't bring a spare tube, but did have a patch kit. I put about 7 miles on the ride and had to fix the tube 4 times. Later, when I went to change the tube, it had gone flat a fifth time. There were no jumps or road hazards.

Similar Products Used: First Ultralight tube - maybe the last.
Tyoda   Cross Country Rider [Jul 18, 2003]
Strength:

Readily available at your local Performance store. Cheaper than "name brand" tubes, yet work just as well.

Tube is a tube. These are a bit on the thin/light side so be careful not to run them too low or they will easily pinch flat on technical rides. Ran my last pair for 5 months- maybe a bit lucky, but no flats until just recently.

Jon Howard   Racer [Dec 19, 2002]
Strength:

They work.
Light weight.

None so far

Have lasted a season of XC racing, 8 races plus training. I talcum powder the tubes before I put them on and I probably took the tires and tubes off several times during the season to check rim tape, cuts, etc.

I got these on sale and I'll get more when they are on sale again. If you're a sloppy wrencher though and don't do much maintenance you're probably safer with heavy tubes.