Maxxis Ultralight Tube

Maxxis Ultralight Tube

Maxxis UltralightTube

[May 06, 2012]
OLx6

Strength:

Light weight durable enough

None for a tube

My DT Swiss rims are not tubeless compatible so I have to run tubes. These are the best compromise I could find between weight and durability. There are other tubes that are lighter, but they do not last as long for me.

[Nov 06, 2008]
benevision

Strength:

light - saves significant weight where it counts
holds air pressure surprisingly well
great lightweight spare tube

punctures frequently at higher pressures

Used these (front & rear with WTB Weirwolfs) for several years now and I find them VERY reliable. First off I had frequent punctures on inside of tube (facing rim) but since I reduced the pressures to 35—40psi they have been very dependable, with only an occasional puncture. They also hold air better than many thicker tubes I've tried.

I ride over lots of tree roots and fallen branches and never seem to get snake-bites — I'm not so light myself, at 187 USpounds... For this to happen (as a previous reviewer described) you would need seriously low pressures methinks.

For XC use I think these are a sensible compromise between weight and durability - the Flyweights seem like they'd be going too far IMO.

I just wish Torpedo& would re-stock these so I could get some more at a sensible price — as with so many bike things, Aussie LBSs don't sell these tubes.

various standard weight tubes - Kenda, Tioga etc.

[May 30, 2003]
Sprocketeer

Strength:

These are the first tubes I've ever used which don't lose pressure too quickly. First I checked them before each ride because any other tubes I used required this, but then I pumped them up to a specific pressure, rode for three or for days, and when I checked them after that they were still at the same pressure. Compared to other tubes, that's amazing.

Also, I never have that problem where I attach the pump to the valve and the damn thing wont let air in until a couple of tries later.

And it has a good valve stem instead of what most presta tubes come with which is some weak cr@p that bends after a few times attaching the pump.

None--not even something I just consider a normal weakness, such as loss of tire pressure over a couple of days. Other tubes I've used lost air just sitting in the house.

These are the only problem-free tubes I've ever used.

The bottom line is, I'd never bother writing a review about tubes, but these are just awesome.

I would have bought the Flyweights, but the store didn't have them in the size I wanted. I could have ordered them, but then maybe I wouldn't be as happy with their performance as I am with these. Who knows? Maybe all of the Maxxis tubes are this good.

It's nice not to have to worry if I've lost too much air in my tires before heading out the door on a sudden whim to ride, and that I don't have to treat the valves with care so I don't bend the stem.

These tubes are everything a tube is supposed to be, and lightweight besides.

Who could ask for better?

I've used a lot of top-brand tubes.

[Jan 30, 2007]
Justin Murray

Strength:

They are light and cheap (when bought in bulk from torpedo7.com.au).

On my first ride with them I had two flats - had to walk home. They pinch-flat very easily.

Carry lots of spare tubes with you or be prepared to walk.

Tioga, Continental and Kenda tubes.

[Mar 02, 2006]
joyitas rider

Strength:

it´s light,

it´s very thin

NOTE: only used it in the front wheel, and i am a rider with finesse. The tube worked fine in a race I had in flat terrain through fireroads and pavement.
Last sunday, first real cross country race of the season and the tube snakebited on my second lap after a relatively easy descent. These ultralight tubes are a bunch of lies and serve as boutique trash for ideatic weight weenies that get sold on the idea that 100 grams will make them go faster, well think again!, I´d never recommend these tubes, just too risky and fragile, and the just work for rides on easy flat terrain with no rocks, but not on the mountains or XC racing!!!! I stick to regular thick tubes from now on.

panaracer greenlites, michelin c-4, torelli latex, regular taiwaneese tubes.

[Feb 20, 2002]
Dave

Strength:

Light, durable (no punchers so far)

Works very well and it's light enough (115g). Since I started using them six months ago, I had no flats (knock on wood). Definitely recommended.

Torelli, Specialized Turbo

[Feb 21, 2002]
DCS

Strength:

Light, durable, no leaks, reasonably priced

Excellent product. I have used 6 of these tubes (on 3 sets of wheels). None of them have leaked or gone flat. I have gotten flats with the Panaracer and other brands.

Panaracer, other brands

[Dec 05, 2006]
mark

Strength:

Light.

Pinch flats, Pinch flats, Pinch flats!

I thought I would lighten things up a bit with the ultralights. I'm a 180 pound moderate rider and run high pressure. I bought five tubes and they lasted about fifteen rides total. All pinch flats. I rarely ever flatted before riding the ultralights. I give these tubies four thumbs down! They don't deserve a single chili. I would not recommend these tubes to anyone.

All sorts of tubes.

[Mar 23, 2007]
Daniyar

Strength:

Very light.

Constant flats and don't hold air very well even when brand new.

These have got to be the worst tubes ever. I have used them on a dozen rides and every single time I came back home with a flat. I even managed to get 2 holes on the inside part of the tube that faces the rim. With all the cactus in AZ you are bound to get flats, but not like this. Stay away unless you want to be patching these tubes every day.

Specialized, Bontrager and WTB tubes

[Nov 04, 2006]
MIKE

Strength:

LIGHT,DURABLE

NONE YET

SURPRISED AT HOW WELL THESE HAVE PERFORMED FOR ME DUE TO ALL NEG REVIEWS HERE.ALL I CAN SAY IS IT'S BEEN 4 MONTHS OF RIDING HARD ABOUT 3 TIMES/ WEEK IN NEW ENGLAND ROCK GARDENS AND NOT ONE PINCH FLAT. I DO KEEP THE PSI AT AROUND 32 AS THE MIN RECOMENDED FOR MY TIRES (NEVEGALS) IS 30PSI.THE KENDAS THAT CAME WITH THE BIKE DIDN'T LAST 3 WEEKS.
MY GUESS IS MOST PEOPLE ARE RUNNING TO LOW AND OR USING THEM FOR SERIOUS DOWNHILLING AND HUCKING.(IN THAT CASE NEED A DOWN HILL TUBE)MAYBE I HAVE BEEN LUCKY, BUT NO REASON TO USE ANY OTHER TUBE FOR ME.

LOTS