Maxxis Flyweight Tube

Flyweight

Maxxis Flyweight Tubes: Super lightweight .45mm wall thickness tube, rim strip included. 76g

George   [Sep 12, 2007]
Strength:

light

go flat when you touch them

I went on my first proper ride today with a friend. He got a flat from his old tube, so i gave him my spare flyweight. It flatted in about 45 minutes. 20 seconds later my flyweight flatted as well. We were running high psi and my tyres have snakebike protection. It didn't work. These tubes are a joke for anyone other than weight weenies who ride on the road. AVOID

Clydesdale Dave Black   Racer [Sep 07, 2003]
Strength:

Super light weight. Deceptively strong for their thinness. Come with a very cool rimstrip. Light and easily fits in a back or pocket. Half the size of a normal tube when folded up. Maxxis generally rocks.

Pinch flat at real low pressures. Not very thorn resistant. $8.00 is expensive. Maxxis should have a tire club for volume purchasers of their products. They leach air over a few days that can't be seen under water but you should always check your pressure before each ride so this doesn't really matter to me.

Combined with Kenda Klimax Lites, the entire tire+tube comes in at 435g...amazing! Now here's the kicker....I'm a heavy 210 lb rider riding this setup and I only pinch flatted once on a granite rock becuase I was riding my front at about 35 lbs...which is too low for that tire to begin with..when I've kept them at 55 on the rear and 45 on the front, I have had no problems. Lately, I've swapped them with normal tubes and tires for trail riding and will onl put them on for races though I have developed a certain degree of trust as long as the pressure is high enough. What's really nice is that they are nice to carry as spares because they are so light and compact.

Similar Products Used: Maxxis Ultralight, Pyramid Standard Butyl
Steve   [Mar 23, 2002]
Strength:

Light as a feather. Comes with a rim tape for one price.

Light as a feather and just as tough.

First the good news. These tubes are really light. They will reduce rotating mass on your wheels and that is "a good thing". The rim tape which comes with the tube is also a nice touch, esp for those of you who don't already have any tape on your wheels. Now the bad news. One of the two tubes I bought at US$10 a piece blew even BEFORE i mounted the wheel! Yup, I didn't even get to ride it once and it already blew! Before you cry "overinflation", I had deliberately inflated that tube only about 2/3rds the way I normally inflated my tyres. And it still blew...I wasn't even touching the b^(&$dy thing!! I got absolutely no sympathy from the Maxxis rep in Taiwan and my LBS of course said there was nothing they could do. For value, I would rate these one chili bec. they are expensive and i couldn't get any redress for something that was obviously defective. Overall, i give three chilis because the front tube (which hasn't burst - yet!) is really light now and I find myself powering out of corners and climbs much better than I used to. If only Maxxis got their after-sales act together, I would happily give them 5.

lippy   Cross Country Rider [Nov 29, 2001]
Strength:

light, cheap, comes w/rim strip, holds better than latex

none yet

best tube out there no questions asked. i've tried every tube out there and these have lasted longer,are lighter and i have more confidence with them than anything else out ther.

Similar Products Used: pink, blue,and green tubes that all $uck!
Joey JAMIESON   Racer [Apr 08, 2007]
Strength:

Super light and own rim tape

Havn't experienced one yet. Except for the price.

I was looking for a cheap way to lower the rolling resistance. I found a combination of Maxxis flyweights on the front and welterweights on the rear are a great combination. Having less weight up front will improve the handling greatly and because the front doesn't get the abuse the rear does. You shouldn't have too many flats.

Similar Products Used: Maxxis Welterweight tube, IRC, and others
Daniel Johnson   Weekend Warrior [Mar 01, 2007]
Strength:

-Super Light
-Compact

Very easy to puncture

These tubes have been good. I dont think I would recomend them for anything other than to carry as a spare. They fit inside a tiny box. The only reason I havent replaced mine is because I have a ton of patches... and I just keep patching the holes. I think one of mine has like 7 patches on it. Ha.

Ben   Cross Country Rider [Nov 07, 2001]
Strength:

feathery light
you get a lot of practice at patching tubes
changing flats without levers strengthens your grip

expensive
thinner than a lamb-skin condom, and easier to break
ultra-fragile connection between the stem and tube

Don't. I tried these as an experiement into weight-weinie-dom and wasted the $27 bucks, for 3. All three tubes failed where the stem is bonded to the tube. The longest one lasted was three rides!

Similar Products Used: regular tubes from bike shop - several brands
ivan   Downhiller [Oct 15, 2001]
Strength:

i couldn't find a review column for maxxis DH 2.7 tubes so i'll review them here.
-Phat rubber, never had a pinch flat on them, not as expensive as intense but are as good as intense.

face it they ARE heavy

i run 18pounds on these tubes and i never had a pinch flat, in fact i had never patched them, and the orange valve cup looks trally cool
they get five flamin' monkeys

Similar Products Used: intense DH
Fuji Man   Racer [Mar 24, 2003]
Strength:

The lightest tube you can get. For most race courses they are great. I have had them on my race bikes for more than 2 years and have had just one flat. Each one comes with a rim strip.

Not very thorn proof. Thin(light).

I will keep getting my tubes from maxxis. They are still the best racing tube out there. Performance tubes pinch flat easier and I have had terrible luck with those stupid green and purple latex ones.

Similar Products Used: Performance lunar light, latex tubes.
Jeff   Racer [Jan 23, 2008]
Strength:

Light (thats if you cqan get them to last at all!!!)

Weak as #%$#!!! If you can get them on your rims without blowing, you will be lucky to get more than 1 ride out of them.

DO NOT BUY THESE!!!!
You will waste your money like i did. They don't last at all. VERY VERY DISAPOINTED with this product.