Hutchinson Green Anti-Snake Bite Tube

Green Anti-Snake Bite

Hutchinson Green Anti-Snake Bite

Clement   Cross Country Rider [Jun 26, 2003]
Strength:

doesn't keep air for long ...
heavy ; IS NOT ANTI SNAKE BITE !

I thought buying these tubes would help me steer away from snakebites but alas ... not only do they leak air like crazy (I had to inflate twice on a 2 hour ride)but at the first little jump over an obstacle, they snakebited on me ... very disapointed : I'll go back to standard black rubber from now on

erik   Cross Country Rider [Jul 17, 2002]
Strength:

no flats

weight

I forgot what flat tires were like for the past year, I just powered over everything until i got new tires last week (python airlite)and tried the notubes.com tubeless system and got 3 flats within miles. Lightweight tube that I was carrying just in case flatted too, pinch flat. Then I put my old green tubes back in, new panaracer flataways too, they flatted too - I think it was from a bad rim strip or just karma. No problems with the stem. I'm ordering some new green tubes, after all they lasted a whole year of hard trail riding with rock piles etc.(and i felt the back rim against a rock a few times every ride) and they had 3 patches on them before this week including the only flat i remember which was in a crash which dented my new rim, my helmet, my elbow and my hip. Not having flats is worth carrying a couple hundred extra grams in your tires, I think. If you like low tire pressure and you're at all careless about what you ride over, this is worth it. I think the tubes get more credit for no pinch flats than the flataways, but the combination worked.

Similar Products Used: ordinary tubes
Hobby William   [Sep 13, 2003]
Strength:

Supple downhill ride. Snakebite resistant. Natural rubber

Valve stem breaks off tube after limited use. Heavy

I bought the tires to help out with my snake bites on the rear rim. They seemed to perform to their claim to resistance. And the ride did have a better feel on hardpack smooth trails. Though after lest than 50 miles use the valve base separated from the tube body. The valve stem and the tire are different types of rubber and the weld between the two was insufficient. I returned the tube to Pricepoint and they sent a replacement free of charge but the latter tube had the exact same performance as the former. Their cost is above that of disposable tubes, so I won't more. I owned the tubes two years ago; maybe Hutchinson has adddress the design flaw.

Similar Products Used: Standard prest tubes
Scott Frazier   Cross Country Rider [Sep 09, 2001]
Strength:

Prevents snakebite

Heavy
Leaks a bit

I like to run my tires at about 35#, and ride hard on rocky terrain, so snake bites on rear tire are a problem. Someday I'd like to try a tubeless tire, but until then this tube is the best anti-snake bite solution I've found. I use this tube together with the Continental Vertical Pro 2.3 tire which lets me run at low pressure without snake bite. I use a light weight tube on the front. My son uses an anti-snake bite tire. This also works well, but really restricts your tire choice.

Similar Products Used: Anti-snake bite tire, mainly specialized tubes
B Coley   Cross Country Rider [Sep 21, 2001]
Strength:

Within the first half mile (on road), on my way to the trail, the valve stem blew out. My tire went completely flat with 3 seconds. May have ruined the brand new Hutchinson Python Gold on the front (its sidewall is torn).

Heed the advice below- the valve stem will more than likely tear on you. You will not be able to patch this mishap on the trail.

Similar Products Used: bike shop tires
Marko Blau   Weekend Warrior [Jan 12, 2000]
Strength:

Maby a little bit more puncture proof then standard butyl tubes.

The valve came off the tube.
350gramms are way to much.

The biggest problem with these tubes was that the valve was not well attached to the green rubber of the tube and came off after some days!

Similar Products Used: Schwalbe
Ookie Padookie   Racer [Jan 16, 2001]
Strength:

does what it's supposed to (less pinch flats, etc.)

for its intended purpose there are none

These are good tubes. There's no use whining about the extra weight, because the company doesn't try to push them as a SL racing thing or whatever. I've never had any of these whacked-out valve problems that others have mentioned, and I've only had one pinch flat with them (on a VERY rocky trail with lightweight conti semi-slicks)

Similar Products Used: other tubes... I dunno!?
Jeff   Weekend Warrior [Oct 19, 2000]
Strength:

The tube is on the heavy side but it feels bulletproof

the valve is not securely attached to the tube

On the second downhill run at the local ski slope my front tire went flat. I had just installed them that morning and assumed that I had a pinch flat. After pulling the tire we saw that the valve had seperated fromthe tube! I'm back on the cheapo tires and have not had a problem.
Bottom line...sae your money!

Similar Products Used: cheapo tubes
Kim Steingass   Racer [Jun 06, 2000]
Strength:

No pinch flats

Weight

sure they're heavy but what more do you want from a tire that never pinch flats. i have never had a valve stem come out. never. mabey everyone is just using the wrong tubes......

Similar Products Used: everything
Savvas Anastassiou   Racer [May 01, 2000]
Strength:

It is more resistant on pinches

Everything else

This tube sucks. I put a pair of them the day before a race and both of them had to be changed before or during the race. The presta (italian)valve of the front one came off during the pre-race heat-up and it only had 40 psi in it.
The rear one exploded after 10 km after hitting a little rock that normally wouldn't bother me. It had inside 45 psi so it wasn't because it was too inflatted. When changing it I noticed that the weld(?) of the tyre had been torn.
The only reason they are getting the second and half chili is because of their pinch resistance: When I checked the tyres before installing a new tube I found goatheads stuck on the tyre that would flat out other tubes but this can be solved by installing tyre-seal liquid inside the tubes or by puting puncture stop rubbers between the tyre and the tube (this both solutions add a lot of weight (about 200 grms) but it's worth it especially if you are riding in conditions similar to Cyprus where you average 1-2 punctures for every ride.

Similar Products Used: Michelin, Hutchinson, chen sin (even this is better) all of them made of sinthetic rubber(butyl)