Continental Hermetic S Tube

Hermetic S

Continental Hermetic S

fcaw11   Weekend Warrior [Jun 10, 2009]
Strength:

Durable, seamless tubes, Low maintenance, takes big hits no problem

Weight, 1.6-2.125, 208grams w/o cap&nut

Not for weight weenies. Great choice for those who want ride, instead of working on their bikes.

Similar Products Used: Schwinn butyl, Cheng Shin Super Thin, Greenlite latex
Ruth   Weekend Warrior [Apr 06, 2001]
Strength:

GREAT FOR MESSENGERS. Strong/thick: no sudden blowouts; reinforced valve base; very even: reduces risk of pinching/crimping during fast installation; replaceable valve

Hard to find; Not light; once the seal on my replaceable valve weakened and I had a slow leak for months before finally replacing the tube (gave it an extra 20/30 psi every 2 or 3 days)

I used these tubes as a messenger and LOVE them. After four or five flats caused by tube failure alone, I started looking for a better tube. These work. The reinforced valve base is important for fixing flats on the road unless you have a portable pump with a hose, because the friction caused by straight pumps can wear through a normal tube's valve base. The smooth, even tube is easy to install on the fly-- no crimps, no pinches, done in 5 minutes. The thick tube walls help in the event of a major puncture, because the tube doesn't explode on impact. I've only gotten 3 flats with these tubes, but each time I've been able to ride a full block to get out of whatever bad traffic situation I was in when the flat occurred. (I use 25-35mm tubes in 23mm tires-- this quality might be less noticeable in 35mm tires.) Put these tubes with Kevlar belts and good tires and the only time you'll have to change a tire is in your own shop when the tires bald out. I put the old tube in the new tire and keep on riding.

Similar Products Used: Every kind of $5 tube there ever was.
Crash   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 13, 1999]
Strength:

Durable, durable, durable, durable.

Sometimes hard to find, and not the lightest in the world. If weight is not an issue Connies are great.

I've run Connies in both my road and mountain bikes for more than five years and I can't say enough about their durability. I've had a total of five flats on two bikes in five years. And three of those flats occured when I ran Vittoria tires and some damn no-name or Trek-branded tube. The only Connie flats I've ever had were from me being the dullest tool in the shed and not running enough pressure and getting a pinch flat and also hitting some major, major glass during rain.

Similar Products Used: Connie road tires and tubes.
Ruthie   Weekend Warrior [Apr 10, 2001]
Strength:

I took the advice of the last guy on this list and went to bikeworld.com to buy tubes. They sent me 8 normal Conti tubes, not the Hermetic S pictured on the site.

The only good thing about Bikeworld.com is that they have a picture of the box so at least you can know what you're looking for.

Dan E   cross-country rider [Feb 24, 1999]

These tubes kick butt, a little heavy but you will hardly ever get flats, check em out at bikeworld.com - selling for $5.99 each. I've had trouble getting them in stores out here, so I am going to mail order them.