Avenir T.R. (Thorn Resistant) tube Tube

T.R. (Thorn Resistant) tube

Avenir T.R. (Thorn Resistant) tube

Robert Fraczkiewicz   [Oct 20, 2012]
Strength:

Valve separates from rubber in brand new tubes

I live in the high desert area filled with thorn bushes, hence I bought this piece of garbage to prevent punctures. I replaced both Kenda tubes that came originally with my new bike. On the very second bike ride, many miles away from home and out of the blue, my rear wheel has suddenly lost all the air - just psssfft! and total flat in 2-3 seconds. I had a very long walk pushing the bike. It turned out, the valve just separated from the rubber - in the brand new tube!! At that time I thought of it as of a unique incident and exchanged the tube in store.
Today, on my fifth ride and yes, far away from home and all of a sudden, the front wheel went flat in 2-3 seconds. Same problem - separated valve. Now, this is no accident, this "product" is worthless! I am so pissed off that I am taking my time to write this review to warn others. Stay away from Avenir!

gram   Cross Country Rider [Nov 26, 2009]
Strength:

weight and didnt stop a single thorn

these sucked. i bought four tubes in one weekend, i barely made it arround the block before they were filled with thorns and flat. i found that if you combine some kevlar tire lininer with some thorn resistant tube and some slime you have the best chance but nothing is thorn proof. thats bullshhit

flydog   Cross Country Rider [Sep 15, 2009]
Strength:

Price and durability

Weight

I was getting 2-3 flats a week from those pesky Arizona goat thorns before mounting these tubes. Since then I have ridden over 200 miles on and off road without a single flat. The only downside is they weigh twice as much as regular tubes, but I am saving $10-$15 a week on tubes.

Similar Products Used: Forte
Drew   Weekend Warrior [Dec 07, 1999]
Strength:

Stronger than Steel ... haha

Weight

these tubes rule ... these tubes have held up against everything I've thrown at it ... i pump up my tires with alot of psi ... for road conditions. since nyc doesn't have as many trails as i like ... anyhow... no flat... and lots of hard riding ... when i do goto trails... i've done 8 foot drops... no prob i still have my stock presta tube in front... but my rear is this one... i paid 10 bucks for mine... got alittle ripped? ... yep ... mine was made by kenda... but mine, avenir, and chein sheng ... are the same... just different boxes... If you need good protection and willing to add alittle weight ... get these... will save you weight on extra tubes and patch kits ... makes my live easier... i don't need my toolkit all the time in case of flats ... ect that makes up for the difference... in the near future i might try out the maxxis maxxis... but i doubt those will last longer than the salsa's ... which lasted a total of 1 hour ...

Similar Products Used: Salsa simply crap tubes, ect
Andy Threewitt   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 13, 1999]
Strength:

doesn't flat easily

none that i can think of

best tube I've ever used-extra weight is negligible-hit some barbed wire yesterday-no flat, (quite impressive)

Similar Products Used: most basic MTB tubes
jefftallica   Cross-Country Rider [May 22, 1999]
Strength:

(almost) never get a flat

heavy, more expensive than regualar tubes (though much cheaper than latex)

goathead thorns are a huge problem in arizona- therefor, the need for flat resistant tubes. specialized t.p. tubes don't work worth crap- i flatted several times on some of the smaller goathead thorns. slimed tubes haven't worked well for me, either, and spin skins are just flat out junk. avenir's tubes CAN be puntured by a type of extremely long thorn that drops off of a kind of tree (the name escapes me), but my occurences with this are rare. pinch flats are non-existent with avenir's tubes. the weight is annoying, but even more annoying is repairing flats. for now, this is the best product for preventing flats in my area.