Air-B latex tube Tube

latex tube

Jeremy Pearson   Cross Country Rider [Aug 20, 2003]
Strength:

Nice colour, and lightweight.

In my opinion, the main weakness of the Air-B inner tube is that it could well be the cause of your death. I used these tubes for the first time a few weeks ago. The first tube exploded (and the term "exploded" is not far from the truth), on the way down a steep pass (a paved road) in the English Lake District. The accident left me in a serious mess, and lucky to be alive. There was no impact to cause the tube to disintegrate. After the accident the tyre was checked for thorns etc and there was nothing. Care had been take to powder the tye carefully when the tube was originally put on. OK, I thought, I must have just had a bad tube.

I left the tube in the other (back) tyre for some weeks while recovering from the accident and took the bike away on a caravanning holiday with me. Because of my injuries, the bike sat, unridden, outside the caravan for over a week. During that week I cleaned the bike up and removed, checked and reseated the tube and tyre (again being careful to poweder etc). On the last day of my holiday I decided that I might just be able to ride a short distance again and went to the bike. The back tyre was flat and again the tube was shredded, with an even bigger gash. Air-B tubes, no thanks, I like being alive.

I will never use one of these tubes again as long as I live. I would urge others to be very, very careful and take note of some of the other reviewers comments as well as mine.

Similar Products Used: Have used a range of light and standard tubes over 15 years.
John O'Brien   [Sep 17, 2007]
Strength:

LIGHT WEIGHT,DURABLE

NONE

I've used the same air b in my rear wheel for years,i have a mitchelin latex tube in my front wheel.the mitchelin needs to be topped up every ride, the air b hold its air much better, but still needs regular checks.
My friends that ride ordinary tubes get punctures, i dont

Similar Products Used: MITCHELIN
Steve Meyer   Racer [May 15, 2003]
Strength:

Light weight, durable.

Check air pressure before each ride.

Whoa! I see some misguided Reviews! These tubes work great if used correctly. Massive tube failures are caused by friction between the rim strip and the tube. Use Velox Rim Strips and talc (baby powder), voila, no pinch flats or failures! Buy the "Racer's Favorite" for a rock solid dependable racing tube. Patching must be done with a real patch, not a speed patch kit: speed patches don't stretch, and thus pull off of the tube.

Similar Products Used: Delta, Michelin, and Continental latex tubes suck!
wiggle   Racer [Dec 03, 2001]
Strength:

weight (if it worked)

punctures/blow-outs - don't last 5 minutes!

Fitted 2 of these tubes before training (about 45psi's). Back tyre pinch-flatted after about 5 minutes. Tube couldn't be repaired as patch wouldn't stick. Later the front tube blew out when I landed on a moderately sized rock - wasn't even going that fast. Took tyre off to find that the tube was shredded by about 10-15 centimetres.

Cannot believe both tubes popped so easily. I have never had even ultralight butyl tubes burst like this. Just glad I wasn't going faster at the time.

Don't waste your money. Get something that holds air. No chillis

Similar Products Used: a number of lightweight/latex tubes
batman   Weekend Warrior [Dec 13, 2006]
Strength:

It fits in my bat mobile

catwoman dosent like it

superman dosent have one hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Similar Products Used: batmobile supermans undies
Jeremy Carrivick   Weekend Warrior [Jul 24, 2001]
Strength:

Light weight

Split for no reason

The other day I wheeled my bike out of the garage to get the mower
out. Both tyres were pumped up. By the time I wheeled the bike back in again
one of the tyres was as flat as a pancake. So what, this happens sometime
maybe a thorn or something. Anyway I removed the tyre to discover that the
inner tube had split almost half its circumference! I dread to think what
would have happened had I been riding it at the time. It would seem to me
that this sort of catastophic failure indicates a weakness in the tubes
construction. I was able to easily continue the split as far as I wanted. It
is even possible to quite easily rip bits out of the tube. These tubes are
less than three months old since purchase.

Something is very wrong with the construction of these tubes. .. they are
potentially lethal. Dont buy them if you value your life!

Similar Products Used: all sorts
Brian Mckie   Cross Country Rider [Jun 10, 2001]
Strength:

light weight

overpriced,leak air and difficult to repair

I bought these tubes at a ridiculous price(£25 a pair) to save a bit of weight in the old wheel area.Found to my digust that they punctured as often as rubber tubes and the holes were huge end irrepairable.They also required inflating prior to every ride which gets a bit annoying.I evetually gave up with them and went back to the rubber tubes because at least you know where you stand with those.

Similar Products Used: panaracer latex tubes
Chris   Racer [May 23, 2000]
Strength:

relatively light,135g, doesn't leak over time, seems to roll pretty smooth

explodes, cannot patch, explodes

I rode this tube on my front wheel with ~40 lbs. pressure with WTB Motoraptors and Specialized tires on it. They were good for the first few races and I started to like them. But in one race on flat section the tube completely exploded along the inside seam. I had no more tubes and was going to patch until I saw that the whole was TWO FEET long. I cannot understand why these tubes blew. I'll keep using my turbos.

Similar Products Used: Slime tubes, specialized turbo
Edwin   Cross-Country Rider [Jan 11, 2000]
Strength:

Durability, light

Expensive, I paid 15$

These are the best tubes I have ever used.
They dont lose pressure as fast like ordinairy latex tubes and I dont have any snakebites anymore.
I give them 4 stars because they are soooooooo expensive

Similar Products Used: Vredestein latex
CST
John Deeley   Racer [Dec 28, 2000]
Strength:

It's light, resists punctures and doesn't require re-inflating daily (Like my other Latex tubes)

Price and vulnerability to Pinch Flats if under inflated

Unlike most people who've posted on this subject, I'm a roady, running an odd bike, in mostly on road situations.
If you use your beloved mountain bike on the road with slicks, use this tube, it's light and rolls well, but keep it pumped right up !
It's very puncture resistant at normal (High) pressure, but V prone to snakebites if the pressure is too low.
Contrary to previous posts I've had no problem patching, by preparing well, using a quality adhesive and patch (non of this Leeches cr*p) and they seem quite happy under the carcase. All the punctures I have sustained I got on one trip, I knicked a stone which caused the first hole, then as the pressure got lower and lower I picked up a further SIX snakebites!, being so far forward it's had to feel the rear going down (honest!).
Excellent piece of kit, only wish SJSC had fitted smaller tubes (they fitted 2.1's into a 1.3 tyre - reason for all the snakebits????)
jkd