WTB Wolverine 2.2" Tire

WolverineTCS (Tubeless) InThe wild, wolverines are knownTo attack anything, often preying on much larger animals. OnTheTrail,The Wolverine confidentlyTackles dicey descents, flies across flats and devours steep climbs.This fast-rollingTire’s moderately-spacedTread pattern combines plentiful working edgesThat clingTo hardpack and outside knobsThat let you shred corners. Like its namesake,The Wolverine’s slight profile belies its fierce bite. 660 grams UST aramid bead dual dna ru

Highlander664   [Jun 20, 2013]
Strength:

Fast rolling. Light weight.

Limited traction

The WTB Wolverine 2.2 came stock on my KHS XCT 556. They are OK tires and fill that middle of the road need. They have more traction than say a Maxxis Aspen, but don't roll as fast. They are faster than the Kenda Nevegals but don't grip nearly as well, I guess they're good tires if you're starting out and want to explore different terrain, but one you got your local trails figured out, there are better tires.

I've removed the Wolverines completely and now run Kenda Nevegals up front and Maxxis Aspens on the back. So far, a nice combination for So. Cal fire roads and single tracks.

PhxChem   Weekend Warrior [Dec 20, 2012]
Strength:

Low rolling resistance. Works great in almost any dry trail conditions. Works good in slightly wet (but not muddy) conditions.

Almost zero traction in mud. Packs up with mud, etc. very fast.

I have used these tires on two different bikes, one a 26 hartail, the other a 29er full suspension.

As a rider in central AZ, this tire works pretty good 99% of the time. This is, when it's dry. Even with a relatively shallow tread, which gives it good (low) rolling resistance, the tire has very good traction in almost all dry conditions. When I first got this tire, I initially switch the direction of the REAR tire based on what I perceived would be "best direction" looking at the tread. However, it actually gets much better traction when put in the correct direction as indicated on the tire (that is, front and rear in the same direction).

As a rear tire on my FS, I never had it slip in dry conditions, even on steep rocky terrain. As a front tire, I never had a washout.

However, find any mud, and you're going to wish you had a different tire.

Similar Products Used: Prowler MX
zodiac-biker   [Sep 04, 2012]
Strength:

I am 6'1" 235lbs sport class rider and downhill racer and use a Yeti 575 for all things upto and xc races also a Yeti dh 9 for downhilling.Fast!!! That said , they are fast with great traction on hardpack and loose over hardpack. I would say they are good in mud but not good on the back when trail turns wet w/ roots and rock. I tried the tire first on the front with a kenda nav 2.35 rear and loved the the speed a traction upfront. Next i put one on the back and front...wow, speed all day.

ok...so being that Im a big guy I can put out alot of tourque, and thats where the tire showed some weaknesses. loose on a climb they started to break loose and i had to ease off the power a bit. Also if the trail gets wet the tire has a tough time hooking up on roots and some rock but never made me have to step off.

I plane on useing this tire front and back in an xc race as long as the trail stays smi-dry to dry and will post back after...I thinkthis will be a great tire and worth the 30.00 i paid each.

Mike E.   [May 29, 2012]
Strength:

Inexpensive, 2.2 width, durable, fast rolling with good grip.

none so far

Good compromise on rolling resistance and grip. Not as grippy as the WTB Raptors but roll much much faster. Good on hardpack, sand, small roots. Not the best or worst in mud.

Joe   [May 18, 2012]
Strength:

Fast-rolling, not too heavy, nicely grippy, good size.

I am a little concerned about wear. I haven't had the tire long and I've been riding pretty hard, but it feels like a soft compound that might wear quickly. We'll see.

I had a large volume front tire previously (WTB Tyrannoraptor) which had good bite on corners due to substantial side knobbies. The Wolverine is not as aggressively knobbed but it feels like it has just as much bite. In addition, and somewhat counterintuitively, I have been a little shocked at just how fast-rolling the tire is. The Tyrannoraptor sounded and felt like a lawnmower compared to the Wolverine. The trails I ride get pretty wet and are root-heavy so a certain level of stickiness is necessary in a tire around here. I've been pleasantly surprised at how well the Wolverine has gripped for rocks and roots. Finally, it's a pretty large tire (2.2) and it feels like that translates more in height than in width. This was a little disconcerting at first - compared to the profile of the Tyrannoraptor - but I now think that that height has made the tire "dig" a bit more and has allowed a lower tire pressure which has made a big difference in the grip. All around solid purchase.

Mikol   Weekend Warrior [Mar 05, 2012]
Strength:

After 20 miles
Grip 9/10
Speed 8/10
Durability 10/10

None yet at 20miles
Kinda heavy

I really enjoy this tire. Recently bought a db overdrive 29ers and it came with the bike. Im a newbie at riding but also a bike tech so I did my homework. Given my accessibility to bike products I decided to stay with the factory tire.
You know might as well ride it.
So I weigh about 150 pounds and ride these baby's real low like 28-30 front n back. And boy do they grip. I do mostly rock and xc and they roll swell on them both. Great rebound and excellent grip at slow to moderate speed.
Really love the this tire.
No sign of wear for the first 20 miles. Plenty
More to go. Will update often.

shenny88   Weekend Warrior [Jan 04, 2012]
Strength:

lightweight, excellent size for trail/xc, minimal rolling resistance, good grip for it's speed and intended purpose, zero durability issues

If you want maximum grip and are not concerned with speed, this is not your tire.

It is a good compromise between a grippy and fast tire. Not the best grip, not the fastest rolling, but somewhere in between. The 2.2 is a really good sized/shaped 2.2" tire.

Similar Products Used: Velociraptors, Bont. XR3s, Nevegals, Bont. XDXs, Weirwolfs
imasavagemonkey   Weekend Warrior [Nov 15, 2011]
Strength:

Grip and rolling resistance in most conditions.

Wet rocks and roots.

About a week ago, I rode up most of the 1st and 3rd divide at Downieville. I had a 2.35 DTC Kenda Bloove Grove in the front and the Wolverine in the back. I was actually really impressed with how secure the tire felt, even through the rocky stuff. I even rode through some light snow without a problem. I usually ride Downieville with 2.5 Dissents.. but I'm glad I didn't switch out my tires since we had to climb this time since it was too icy at the top for a shuttle run. I probably won't even switch to my Dissents next year because I rolled soo much better with the Wolverines and still had enough grip to have fun.

I also just rode Tamarancho while it was raining the other day. The tired cleared the mud very well and had pretty good traction.. except on the wet roots and rocks. I still felt like the tire behaved well enough not to warrant a change for winter riding. My Blue Groove up front kept my front end from sliding around too much so I still felt safe.

I would recommend this tire! I was using a 2.35 Kenda SB8 as a rear tire for a while, but it always felt a little sketchy. The Wolverine not only feels like it has more grip, but also rolls a lot better!!

Similar Products Used: Kenda Nevegal, Kenda Bloove Groove, Maxxis High Roller, Kenda SB8.
MHanslip   Racer [Sep 27, 2011]
Strength:

Grip, predictability, fast rolling

Soft lugs tear up when you are having fun

I love these tyres. I run a pair of 29" ones on my race hardtail too. On the 26" dually, the rear tyre gets a lot of abuse. The side lugs are torn (looks like I hit them with a power sander) and the center lugs are quite worn but for some reason it still provides nice predictable traction and sliding. I can climb most trails - even the loose ones - as long as I pedal smoothly.
So wear is moderately high but the tyre keeps working well through its tread life. I can't say that about many other tyres.
This is a fun back tyre.