WTB Weirwolf 2.5 Tire

Weirwolf 2.5

• Deep tread design with large side knobs and a square profile
  • Perfect for mud, loose soil and rocky conditions
  • Race (735g) and Laser DH (1350g)

• User Reviews (98)

Viperoni   Weekend Warrior [Sep 15, 2013]
    Strength:

Straight line directional stability, good leaning over, holds it's own through a rock garden and over roots too.
    Great front tire for hardpack, light sand and gravel.
    Rolls great as well.

Sand.
    Not a very high volume tire given it's 2.55" rating - more like a 2.2-2.3" tire.

After being rather unhappy with an Ardent 2.4" on the front of my bike, I got this and am very happy.
    Rolls nice and straight through gravel, and still controllable through deep sand, but this tire shines on hard pack and foresty trails. Great leaning over too, as the knobs extend fairly far down the sidewall.
    Can't comment on wet performance, but I suspect it's decent.
    Overall very happy with the tire on the front - nice and light, rolls great, sticks well, and whatever minor amounts of washing out happened, it came on linearly, no surprises.

Similar Products Used: Maxxis Ardent 2.4
    Bontrager XR4-EXP
    Groundswellz   Weekend Warrior [Aug 21, 2012]
    Strength:

Traction

Price. Tough to get on the rim.

Fully rigid SS 29er's need a high volume tire for proper trail riding IMO. I was riding on Exiwolf 2.3's and I swore I'd get them again when the time came. Well the time came and they weren't listed on the website so I bought these instead. These are fantastic tires. Mud sticks in the treads in wet conditions and it doesn't come out easily. Do not buy these tires if you will be facing muddy conditions on the regular. They were expensive, but I am very happy with them. These tires enable the rider to accelerate, climb and brake better...and they're going to take me to the next level...

p.s. If your currently riding bald tires like I was, the transition will be extreme. I think I "ditched the bike/jumped over the bars" like 5 times the first time I took them out!

Similar Products Used: WTB Exiwolf 2.3
    aliikane   Downhiller [Aug 16, 2010]
    Strength:

Gripped tire. Knobs are soft so it feels like you are running lower tire pressure. Fairly light tire. Corners well. For the price I got it, it is awesome.

Not a 2.5. Size is more like a 2.35. It is the same size as my Nevegal 2.35. Not the best in super loose powder sugar conditions, but not many tires are.

This is a great tire. Good all around tire for variety of soil types, just not extreme loose or muddy conditions. Corners well. Feels squishy like running lower pressure cause of soft knobs. How it holds up in long run to be determined. The one thing is that it measures as a 2.35 not a 2.5.

Similar Products Used: Nevegal, fire xc, ritchey wcs z-max, specialized tires, etc.
    BeerBikeBerm   Cross Country Rider [Apr 03, 2010]
    Strength:

Weight, volume, durability, cornering, the tire print in the trail. Knobs are widely spaced for acceptable mud clearing. Saves my butt on overcooked corners. Good in the loose rock chunk and sand. I run them Stans tubeless with no issues.

Not great on the rear. Tall knobs will cause the tire to creep, wiggle, and slip on baby skulls and slick rock. Pavement like hardpack is not best for the front. Also, WTB has a new one out now and I am hoping these stick around in stock for a long while!

I credit this tire for teaching me how to corner better. I was reluctant to push a tire to drift until I realized I could progressively push this tire to corner without sudden losses in grip. I can tell there is still way more grip to be found and I look forward to flogging a well-known corner harder every time. This is a fun tire!

I use a Prowler XT 2.3 in the rear (another discontinued tread I love.)

4 for value because there are cheaper tires that will do nearly all this tire does, and perform better in the rear (Rampage).

4 overall cuz I don't like to use it in the rear.

Similar Products Used: Nevegal 2.35, SB8 2.35, the rest are all under 2.2 and can't touch the Weirwolf.
    Flomatic   Weekend Warrior [Aug 07, 2009]
    Strength:

These tires have lasted longer than any tire I have ever purchased. Currently using it as the front tire on both my bikes- for years. I have never had a puncture or a flat.
    The tread looks like the day I bought it. It corners very well, the 2.5 has given me a lot of confidence going over logs and rock patches. Great front tire.

None. Please do not change.

If you want a tire you do not need to replace every season this is the one for you. I agree with others that it grips on rocks and roots. Doesn't clog up with mud. Low rolling resistance. Great for logs and rock patches. Now searching for the perfect WTB rear tire. It is heavy but better than on the couch nursing an injury because you have a thin, light tire that slides under you.

Similar Products Used: Many...
    duleonar   Weekend Warrior [Mar 26, 2009]
    Strength:

Large side walls give great comfort, lugs provide great traction in anything 'Cruces has to offer, Sealed in less than 10 minutes with Stan's No Tubes conversion.

Lugs tend to creap a bit in slow technical sections.

I got this tire from a company in Great Britan (wiggle) dirt cheap!!! Localy this tire runs ~$55, but I was able to get it and my rear wolverine for $60 (shipped).
    I ride XC with some high speed sections and some super slow technical sections as well, and this tire eats it all up like a light snack. All the trails are southern NM desert sand and slick rock (FYI)
    Each time I go out riding now, I'm able to ascend portions of the trail that even the geared folks are walkin'. It tracks like its on rails, which keeps me out of trouble.
    I'm lovin' the massive volume of this tire. It makes rough parts of the trail much smoother, which allows me to bomb down them now. The traction is great. This tire takes me where ever I point it.
    I've had a few close calls coming around corners, but the side lugs bite in and save me every time. I'm givin' it 5 chilis for value, because it's a great tire to begin with and I got it for $19.
    The four chilis overall is because I've noticed the larger lugs tend to walk/creap if I'm on off camber slick rock. That could be that my air pressure is 30psi, and I just need higher pressure for the more technical trails.

GREAT PURCHASE!

Similar Products Used: Tested out a Weirwolf lt 2.55 from parents mtn tandem before purchasing the weirwolf 2.5 for my bike.
    Grey Beard   Cross Country Rider [Dec 31, 2008]
    Strength:

Soft, supple, ride with tons of grip on wet roots, rocks, wooden bridges, mud, leaves, grass, whatever. Tremendous braking strength pointed forward in the rear. Tire characteristics change considerably depending on pressure used.

A bit heavy and sucky to carry speed well from downhills into uphills tight rollers. Mud clean-out is very dependent on water content of mud. Tire characteristics change considerably depending on pressure used. This can be a plus or a minus depending on whether you take the time to get to know how pressure affects the tire.

Rode these on a 12 mile club mud-fest with lots of tight rollers, 3-12 ft mud-puddles 2-8" deep, lots of short, steep climbs, wet roots, lots of wet rocks, a few mossy, wet wooden bridges and a lot of 12-18" wide single track rutted 6-18" deep. These are my tentative conclusions after talking my ride around the club and reading reviews here for 2 hours.

This high volume tire is giving me the one thing I really wanted - a soft ride front and back. I get a forgiving ride up front to help a scant 80mm fork, and a back and butt saving soft hard-tail ride. That in addition to a good hookup in wet conditions both front and back.

I can't lock up the back wheel no matter how hard I brake except in long, deep mud-puddles. I tried steep downhill single track, wet leaves, light gravel, coarse sand and hard-pack. Even pointed forward the back wheel climbs wonderfully, although a bit less than the 40psi I used might help in 2-3" round gravel. Reversed, I expect the rear wheel would climb nearly anything. It stays hooked up extremely well due to the high volume construction, a flexible sidewall, and very wide tread. (used 1.95s before)

Over most roots and rocks it just flexes and hangs on like a scared monkey. As is implied, it keeps the back end of the bike quiet and well planted. The huge casing depth helps because it keeps you trusting and in the saddle where you weight on the back wheel really helps.

At my age I really appreciate coming home without a sore back and bruised butt. The high volume "Inner Peace" design goes a long way towards addressing the gap between a hard-tail and dualie.

On the downside, and this is attendant with the size and volume of the tire, so I don't see this as a design flaw, these tires push a lot of air and weigh in at almost 800 grams. Since this is rolling weight it slows the bike down a lot between peaks on rollers as it is hard to gather and carry speed well from downhill to uphill.

The LT (low tread) profile of the tire suck less than they otherwise would, so WTB has made an effort to address this issue. On the 2.55 LT Team FR version I have, the center tread base of the tire is textured. I think this is to keep the boundary layer of air from attaching itself to the tire to make it suck less, but I have a hunch that makes it hold onto mud more tenaciously.

The mud clean-out on these tires is very dependent on the amount of water content in the mud. When going through puddles at the bottom of rollers these tires clean out very, very well, and your clothes will show it when you get home too! Once you get up out of the wet though, the mud starts to pack in. It makes the tire less sucky, but less biting in the center too.

Taking a page out of my clicker snowboard binding experience, I am going to try cleaning these tires very dry with hot water and Ultra Dawn, rinsing well, drying, and then applying 3 coats of Rain-X to the tread about an hour between coats. I have a hunch the Rain-X will get rubbed off the blocks but stay attached to the tread texturing very nicely. If so these tires should shed mud with the very best with only an occasional reapplication of Rain-X.

The side tread will lift you right up out of even the tallest single-track, so make sure you hit your line right. Lower tire pressures will minimize this, but will also make the tire wash out more then on sharp turns. Just another reason to run a bit more tire pressure in the front than the back from what I can tell at this point.
    Some have suggested that wider rims would result in a less squirrelly ride, and that makes sense to me. The flexible sidewall can move around a lot at low pressures. This is what allows it to cling to rocks and roots and soak up trail bumps so well, so it is a trade-off that can be tweaked a fair amount by adjusting tire pressure, but still a trade-off.

Since Sacramento has mostly dry conditions, when spring comes I will be looking at the Wolverine and even Vulpine for the front, or maybe even a Vulpine for the back turned around, but have a hunch I will miss the soft ride in back too much so will likely try to save weight and suck on the front to I can afford the plush ride in back.

Similar Products Used: Specialized XC race
    TITan   Cross Country Rider [Aug 31, 2008]
    Strength:

Price (atleast over here), grip, wear, rolling resistance (for such a tire), grea

High roling resistance and weight for a XC bike, doesn't clean off mudd that well, not that stable on fast loose gravel tracks (altho that could be my fork's fault)

I'we been riding two pairs of Weirwolfs for 2 years now. One set (2.3's) destroyed itself becouse of me running too low pressure. That was the only puncture I ever had, EVER with thise tires (before I thought that replacing tubes was something normal...). But the other set has seen 1000km's with a lot of tarmac riding and still grips like new The allround grip is superb - best allround tire I ever had. Superb for climbing even on wet roots (can't say for rocks).

Similar Products Used: Diferent stuff from Maxxis, Michelin...
    Craig   Cross Country Rider [Jul 18, 2003]

These tires (2.1) are by far the best I've ever used for rocky technical trails, climbs, and sand found in San Diego. The first time I used this tire I was able to pick new lines in trails formerly considered off-limits. Nice to go back to blackwalls. They enhance the bike's appearance.

Hayden M   Downhiller [Jul 06, 2003]
    Strength:

Good grip when wiping downhill, and doing dirt jumps, i loved it on rockfaces excellent grip even in the wet. Does not wear to fast, or get riped, poped, or slashed open easy

makes a lot of dust and spites rocks every where, no problem though, keeps people of my tail

An excelent tire with lots of grip, highly recamended for beginners to hardcore riders. This tire is the bomb!