WTB WeirWolf 2.3 Tire

WeirWolf 2.3

Designed to prowl the backcountry, the WeirWolf is the go-to choice for extreme trail riding. Fast rolling center knobs keep pedaling efficient while the razor-like cornering knobs grab the trail (and shake it up like a fuzzy bunny).

MiLo   [Oct 14, 2013]
Strength:

- Grip, lots of grip, at almost any angle.
- High volume.
- Slow to wear.
- Fast rolling.
- Work well on gravel, sand, hardpack, (most) mud, leaves, roots, and plain old dirt.
- No flats so far. *knock on wood*

- Heavier than your standard cross country tire, but not unusually so.
- Gums up in mud with a high clay content.

I've been riding these tires for most of the past year and they do virtually everything asked of them. I have run them briefly on a 2002 Giant Rainier (clearance issues) and predominately on a Barracuda A2F with a rigid fork. They seem to have been made for the latter bike. The tires do a great job of smoothing over the smaller bumps and giving the control to hop or climb over the big ones. It's kind of like riding a tank. A very fast and maneuverable tank that doesn't mind clocking air time. Their pressure is kept a little low to help with climbing, but I've not yet had a pinch flat.

At first, the grip was a bit overwhelming. Others have mentioned a slick spot between the central and external knobs, which is noticeable, but once passed, the tires can be leaned deep into the corners. There is potential for sliding in that gap but the tires hook up quickly after. It just takes a slight adjustment of riding style.

BC's winters offer rain and slippery trails, but these tires did surprisingly well in crawling up slick roots, logs, ladder bridges and boulders, and finding grip in deep, muddy corners. In Missouri,the tires managed to punch through the wet oak leaves (most of the time...) and find purchase in the soil below. The only time that I've had issues was while biking through clay.

Finally, the WeirWolfs are fast. They will get you rolling or bring you to a stop you as fast as you like, and with the large traction patch of the 2.3s, even loose gravel can be treated aggressively. I not only would, but have recommend these to friends, just as they were recommended to me. Cheers and good riding.

Jon   [Feb 09, 2013]
Strength:

Hooks up on our dry hard pack gravely trails. Rolls smooth and fast on hardpack and pavement. Stiff side wall

Doesn't shed mud at all. I did not expect this to be a prime mud tire but it is almost worthless in anything sticky as it doesn't hook up to well and balls up with mud in a split second

Now that it is drying out I am beging to like this tire more and more. I suspect that it will be great for the dry summer season

jonnybegood   [Dec 17, 2012]
Strength:

Grip grip grip grip

Too grippy

OK I recently went out on my iron horse with these on , only on the back road s for a couple of miles to my friends house , it was about 9pm and during the recent freezing condions in minus temperatures , I know it sounds a bit stupid ! but there was no point in the journey did my wheels slide or spin on the icy roads and pavement the bike felt very sure footed , who needs ice tyres when these will do the job! And when I got off the bike I slid and fell on my a*** I could not believe it ,

Suntoro   Cross Country Rider [Aug 10, 2012]
Strength:

- So much grip under normal circumstances. Like the way they bite through angled corners. Never had a XC tire which I could trust on high speed taken trails.
- Rolls also quite fast on tarmac and produces almost no sound at all.

- Far too heavy for an XC riding use (have the AM TCS 2.3). More according to what WTB says.
- You feel the weight in climbs. Tire rolls heavy at low speeds in the dirt when climbing. They grap too much.

Did only some testing for my holiday in the Alps next month. But these tires will rock then, because most tracks will be downhill...

Lastshot   [Jun 27, 2012]
Strength:

Rails corners, even when cutting through fall debris (acorns and wet leaves), but when it comes time to hammer and climb hills, they grab hard!. Great braking traction Yet, On pavement tires roll Smooooth! This really helps when you want to rip some smooth hardpack singletrack, Stopped my Pinchflat problem!

My front feels as if it is a little more floatly and drifty in wet, It doesn't feel as "planted" through the rough stuff, Its not that it becomes unpredictable, Learning curve was steep, it took me a couple rides with a spill or two to adapt. And it was for the better!

Got the Race Compounded 2.3" tire, hard in middle, soft knobby outside! I used to have Nevegals front and rear on my Teocali, I liked them for there awesome traction on rocks and climbing power. I was not a fan of their mud tire like rolling resistance... now I'm running two of these tires and I'm really liking them. You have to lean the bike enough so that the "claws" on the edges are in the dirt...These tires can rail corners! you can whip the rear nice and hard into it, and then just feel the tire plant and grab...Awesome! On climbs, and when getting through mud, these tires like to power through, They will clean out in mud, you just gotta spin them, Clipless help with that! Also since I am running them in the lower pressures, they grab rock nicely enough for me to try bigger and bigger rollers.

Eric   [May 14, 2012]
Strength:

Fast rolling tire that does it all and looks great while doing it!!

None yet

This is the best tire I've ever used. I've raced it in XC races and done some downhill riding with it. The tire handles whatever you throw at it. It also is a confidence builder. Before you know it youll be railing through corners at high speeds and climbing hills that would normally have you walking the bike.

cman8   [Apr 15, 2012]
Strength:

Great tire. Climbs like a champ and goes down like a beast. Buy this tire

Great tire. Grippy and awesome. I bought a 2.3 rear and 2.1 front. Just reverse directions for rear for better climbing power. Buy this tire

siberian1967   Weekend Warrior [Feb 05, 2012]
Strength:

I put one of these on the front of my bike.

Wow, this thing really hooks in, their marketing is no joke.. It responds incredibly well to outside pedal pressure and it hooks enough to really pull your rear end through the turn, allowing you to tap the breaks and slide around corners in a big cloud of dust. Its fast rolling, climbs great and wants to go fast.

I am using the new version (post 2010) TCS and its a solid tire. Rolls well, can be pointed at anything and just takes it.

Did I mention it corners like its on rails? You feel the transition as a bit of an 'uh oh, here we go' and instead of going down you go THROUGH. Its fantastic.

Beyond that it truly is an all mountain tire. You can hit anything with this. Big downs? No problem. Huge ruts? Ride the edges. Uh oh, high face end to the gully? Cleared it, no problem. Jump ahead, Look out! No problem, hits, sails and lands with confidence, pulling the bike into alignment as you make contact with the earth again.

Really digging this tire. Combined with my Kenda Small Block 8 in the back its an awesome climbing setup that descends like a demon with enough control to not go over and enough drift to really have an amazing time.

Its heavy, like 2x heavy then a normal XC racing tire (800g-1000g, these things vary). Its big, it holds a lot of air. Its not a true 2.3, more like a 2.1 on steroids (not a negative for me but some may be surprised).

Expensive! Like 2x any other similar tire expensive. I bought my at my LBS (I like to support them), probably could have done a lot better at Amazon or one of the online retailers but heck, its like making a $20 donation to the Small Local Bike Shop fund. I'm into that.

Fast and furious. Really enjoying it and it pulls my entire bike through things. I tend to ride dry soft over hard and it locks into it and loves it.

If I was not enjoying the speed and flexibility of my rear Small Block 8 I'd put a 2.1 version of this back there. That may be to close to the Tron Light Cycles though..

4 chilis value, its expensive. But worth it.

Similar Products Used: Kenda Small Block 8, Panaracer Fire XC Pro
akiracornell   Weekend Warrior [Jan 16, 2012]
Strength:

love this tire now that i have ridden for a while, good cornering, tacky on rocks, soft cushy feel but fast go figure.

my previous review seemed a bit negative so i needed to clarify, the only situation i didnt like it was gravely dg(decomposed granite) like cover over harpack, i suppose any tire may have been sketchy or a more open tread might do better but this is a rare summer condition at only one spot i ride

great tire now that i compared it to others.

Similar Products Used: velociraptors, prowlers on front also good, kenda dart & smoke, vriedstein tiger rear.
akira cornell   Weekend Warrior [Nov 15, 2011]
Strength:

Soft feeling but fast rolling. Tread is very cool looking. IMO this tire design is probably best for optimal tacky soil because it has a little give, if you like to whip the rear a bit in turns and be a stylish racer type (which i do) this for you, it does what it was designed for, see wtb site and click on more info and go to development.

dont get me wrong I like this tire but depends how you ride, if your use to a super tacky in hard pack tire this may feel a bit sketchy, this tire can drift when pushing it in hardpack with sandy cover due to soft tips on side tread,but its not like its there and just gives out. not the first choice for some in hardpack loose cover, and from other reviews not in muddy conditions.

i like um but im gonna try a different combo. i found an older weirolf on ebay that some say is tackier, and im gonna put it on the front, see if i like cause i got scared the other day after going in a huge high speed drift in loose cover hardpack.