WTB WeirWolf 2.1 Tire

Originally conceived in 2002,The re-designed WeirWolfTire from WTB is a product of 5 years development betweenTop endurance downhiller Mark Weir and WTB chief designer Mark Slate.The product is aTire with unparalleled grip and predictability at any lean angle.TheTerraced side knobs feature an advanced progressive design.TheTread is soft on initialTurn-in and conformsToTheTerrain.The fasterTheTurn-inThe firmerThe knobs become.The "Comp" differs only in it's steel bead and single compound rubber f

D Peper   [Dec 01, 2012]
Strength:

These tires offer several strengths and I'm sure I'll miss many. However besides the relative low price they roll fast, long, very very grippy, look great on my rig. I'm running them on my specialized fs and am riding 5-6 days a week for about 10 miles a ride. All offroad and lots of rocks, round and jagged. I've had one flat since May and it's December 1st- yes rediculous! I'm a climber and look to charge the rock gardens going up and looking to pump them on the flat and down. Tired of Strava this and that? Well not with these on. You'll know their working when your PR shows up all over your map. You can go wrong with these. I've still got great tread left and Moab three weeks ago they gripped just fine. Never put your foot down on a climb! Man up pedal or crash trying.

The only thing limiting this tire is the one flat which I probably pinched it charging something!
weaknesses include listening to three things 1. legs screaming 2. brain telling me to slow down 3. my wife asking about what I bought for my bike:) but I do get to ride alot with no complaints. I love that part.

Awesome value tire. They ride everything well and you can see everyone loves these badboys. I don't have any other posts on this site. Just ordered an all mountain 29er and was shopping tires. When I go looking for tires these are going to always be on my list of YES items. Eventhough they are super grippy with tread they roll great.

Ron Betts   [Nov 04, 2012]
Strength:

The tires and inner tubes I bought are not even near as good as what the desciption was on either.I spent approx.$135.00 for nothing that I could not have bought at Walmart for half the price. There re no strengths to what I was told and after putting the tubes and tires on the bike,same thing..Flat.The tubes failed and the tires are not worth the money.

Who ever wants to buy the tire or tubes,these are no where near the price and they do not hold up like they are advertised.

I trusted what I read about the tubes and tires so I paid the price for a better tube and tire because I was tired of all the flats.Wrong.I got took.

Lobsang Rampa   All Mountain Rider [Oct 03, 2012]
Strength:

Excellent grip and traction on dry/dusty terrain. I also like the looks of these tires.

For some reason, they seem to attract goat-heads (Google if you don't know what they are.)

These are excellent tires for the dry and dusty conditions of northern California. They seem to do especially well on off-camber terrain and areas where most other tires fail one way or another. Be aware though, that once they wear out a bit they tend to attract "goat-heads" like crazy. It appears the combination of worn-out knobs and the spacing between them grips the goat-heads and gives them a chance to do harm. I had one flat per ride (literally) last season with these tires. The flats went away the minute I switched them to some Continentals I had around. Despite all that, I still like them for the stability and peace of mind they provide when riding tricky terrain.

mk.utlra   [Sep 15, 2012]
Strength:

Inexpensive, durable, excellent both front and rear

I am running 2.1's front and rear and these things grip like glue. Paid only $40 shipped for the pair, couldn't be happier.

Sam   Cross Country Rider [Sep 13, 2012]
Strength:

Grippy in dry and wet as long as its watery, not thick mud. High Volume.

Heavy (I have old wirebead), and rolling resistance is nothing special. Thick mud clogs tread easily.

I really enjoy riding this tyre on the front, I generally go to these once things get a little wet. But they won't clear thick mud well.
They tend to take commitment in a corner, they may let go but will hold an understeer, if confident enough to push on through. Turning technique feels a little different then most tyres.
If things get dry, I stop using them and go to something that rolls well.

cman8   [Apr 16, 2012]
Strength:

Great grabby tire. Put it on my SC heckler. They climb super good and grab corners like no other tire I have tried. Have been loving these definitely helped me get to the top faster.

None.

Great tire. Grippy and awesome. I bought a 2.3 rear and 2.1 front. Just reverse directions for rear for better climbing power. Buy this tire

redjay999   Weekend Warrior [Mar 05, 2012]
Strength:

These tires have great grip on climbs, and a pretty low rolling resistance considering the aggressive tread. I have climbed sections with loose rocks and dirt, hard pack, and stumpy terrain with no issue. I have even climbed up smoother surfaces after going through a creek bed with barely any slippage. Plus, at $32, a pretty good price point.

Although the package claims for wet and dry conditions, there should be an astrisk next to the wet. If you riding through a creek bed, but the ground is dry, no issue. If the ground itself is damp, and no real mud presents itself, it's not an issue. But if you like slogging through the mud, it's a no go. If you actually go the weirwolf site, it expresses the same there as well (http://www.wtb.com/weirwolf/development.html). The only other issue I do seem to have is, although the tire claims to be able to take turns at almost any angle without washout, I find that not to be the case when going at a higher rate of speed. I'm still pretty new to mountain biking overall though, so it could just be technique (or lack thereof on my part).

Other than the slight washout I get when hard corning, and the inability to slog through the mud, I do love these tires. I realize that most live for the descent, but I, on the other hand, actually live for the challenge of the climb, and I have loved every one since I slapped these tires on, and I recommend them to others who enjoy doing the same.

Similar Products Used: None to date. First set of real, current MTB tires. Last set was a 26 x 1.75 which were just aweful! But I think they were for the early 90s, so, there you go.
merc13000   Cross Country Rider [Jan 10, 2012]
Strength:

Great Grip. Nice 2.1 size(not bigger or smaller than the stated size), Cool looking, Race version is light

Good as a front tire, but there might be better choices.

These tires climb excellent and descend almost as good too! Great dry conditions tire(which is 90% of SoCal riding). I really really like it as a rear tire. As a front it is good too, but I do feel it slipping once in a while(other tires would probably slip just the same or worse). The good thing about the weirdwolfs, as others have said, is that they lose traction predictably and give you a chance to regain it instead of just washing you out completely. I am going to try another tire on the front when these wear out, but will most likely keep the weirwolf as a rear. I might even go for just a wider WTB brand front tire since I'm so impressed.

My rating:
4 Chilis for value because they aren't cheap tires
5 Chilis for overall performance

Similar Products Used: specialized fast trak, captain etc, Kenda Kinetics
Muther   Cross Country Rider [Sep 12, 2011]
Strength:

Excellent dry conditions tire. Less rounded profile than most other tires, so you don't have to lean it as far to get into the side knobs (cornering knobs). I have the non tubeless race version which is pretty lightweight. It spins up and rolls pretty well. Braking is first class. It holds your chosen line very very well, and tends not to push off the trail like other tires. It wears pretty good, too.

This is not, I repeat this is not a tire to use if the trails are anything other than dry. It does not clean at all. It will pack up and hold onto mud with a death grip. Mud crossings on an otherwise dry trail cause it pack up, and make it slick.

This is one of the very best dry conditions tires out there. Because it is so good in the dry, it is poor to dangerous in the wet. That said, the 2.1 Race version is lightweight, spins up well, rolls really well, enters and climbs out of hyper-steep creek entrances with the best. It has a less roundy profile so you don't have to lean very far to start getting into the corner knobs. IT brakes extremely well. It holds a line very very well. Some tires lose traction and washout on you. Traction is there, and then in an instant it is not there. When this tire loses traction it does so very slowly, and gives you time to react, and correct.

Again, all this applies to dry conditions. If the tire will pick up mud on the ride, make another choice (I use Continental Explorers for that).

Similar Products Used: Conti Explorer, Conti Leader Pro/Cross Country, Hutchinson Piranha/Python
sburnett   Cross Country Rider [Sep 11, 2011]
Strength:

I have run these Front and Rear -
Rear - This tire grips incredibly, the only time I have had trouble is when taking steep climbs out of saddle in sandy stuff. It grabs and grabs on everything else I have used it on.
Front - The tire has slipped out on me once, during a night ride at a section of trail that was chewed up. I was likely going to fast. I would recommend it. Though a slightly larger tire is better. I recently replaced the front with a WTB Stout 2.3 and the combination of Weirwolf rear and that front is amazing. I will never run a different setup.

I had the front tire sidewall shred on me one day riding on pavement. I can only assume that something got inbetween it and the rim. The rear tire has given no issue.

These tires are awesome at the price I got, I always scoop up tires with good reviews when they hit Chain Love, I would pay up to 30 bucks for one of these, and that is a lot considering I have never paid over 16 bucks for 60+ dollar tires.
They are great, if you see a deal, GET IT.