WTB VelociRaptor Tire

The WTB VelociRaptors features exceptional front steering control, whileThe rear grabsTheTrail helping you get upThat killer climb, helpingTo makeThis aTire comboThat is great in wetTo dry and looseTo roughTrail conditions.26" Bead Folding Comp: Cable bead Comp: Steel bead Race: Aramid bead Weight Folding Comp Front: 719 g Folding Comp Rear: 718 g Comp Front: 795 g Comp Rear: 795 g Race Front: 700 g Race Rear: 700 g

J.S.   Cross Country Rider [Jan 31, 2015]
Strength:

steep climbing, steep braking, rocks, roots, snow, slush, mud, loose terrain, durable, inexpensive.

pretty heavy, rolling resistance

Overall I really like these tires. They are old school but there is a reason they keep selling. My favorite thing about the Velociraptors is the way they climb. Since it's winter the couple hundred miles I've put on them has been almost exclusively in nasty conditions. I've been riding in a mix of snow (fresh and packed), slush, mud, and wet sand all mixed with lots of rocks. I am continually baffled by the things I can climb and descend in those conditions.

They aren't fast on hard-pack or pavement which is a little unfortunate since I like to ride to the trail, but it's impossible to have the best of both worlds. Besides, if you've ridden a road bike at all you know riding a mountain bike on the road sucks no matter what tires you put on it.

I did have the tires clog up badly with mud a couple times, but only with certain soil types. And they may not be the best for high speed leaned over corning. These are the reason's I gave 4 stars instead of 5 Overall they seem to be a good tire for most trail types. I might try something else as summer approaches and the snow stops showing up, but I can't be sure yet.

I would recommend them to someone as a solid, inexpensive winter or challenging terrain tire.

emerydonatelle@yahoo.com   [May 10, 2014]
Strength:

Great performance to dollar value.

Rolling resistance is high on pavement.

I bought the front and rear combo in the spring of 2013. I have been mountain biking for eight years and in that time I have tried a variety of trail and cross country tires from various manufactures. Some were good, some were bad. None of them really stood out as excellent for me. These are the first tires that I have bought from WTB. These are the finest tires that I have ever owned.
I’m not a racer, just a hard core, long distance MB rider and I ride in all-weather conditions. The trails in Southern Maine where I ride are very diverse; flats, hills, twisty, narrow, steams, bogs, tree roots, loose gravel and rocks to bare granite. You name it we have it all. Trail conditions change daily from very dry to very muddy. Since using these tires my riding confidence in all of these conditions has excelled. Hills (dry or muddy) that I have had past difficulty or limited success in climbing up and over are now few and far in-between. I am amazed at how these tires just dig in and keep me going despite some gnarly and nasty trail conditions. They just grip everything.
I track my riding mileage every year using a GPS unit. I put 685 miles on these tires last year. The front tire has plenty of remaining tread, while the rear tire is more worn. I expect to get another full season out of the front tire and about a half season from the rear tire. My bike is eight years old and is at the end of its life. I was planning to purchase a 650B, but may opt to stay with a 26er. Reason is that these tires only come in a 26 inch size. I am hoping that WTB will soon offer these tires in the 650B size, in a width range of 2.1 to 2.3.

ptrqc   Cross Country Rider [Oct 20, 2013]
Strength:

- grip
- traction
- durability
- value for money

- there are lighter tyres

My girlfriend's been riding these here in Québec-Maine-Vermont.
She was new to mountainbiking so I wanted her to have a tyre that would inspire confidence.
These tyres have been great: excellent grip and traction, durable. Don't remember exactly how much I paid them, but they were cheap in comparison to other tyres.
Would certainly recommend these.

The Grouch   Weekend Warrior [Aug 03, 2012]
Strength:

These tires climb really well.

none yet

I got them on sale for 20.00 each , great deal they handle the SF bay area trails like a dream.

pmitch82   [Jul 25, 2012]
Strength:

Grip, long life, grip, and durable

None really

These tires came on my 96 GT Tequesta stock and they are probably the best tires I've ever used. They are still on the bike worn down and cut up from rocks, but they still work.

Rubber Duck   [May 29, 2012]
Strength:

GRIP

rolling resistance

I had these on my previous 26" bike and they were awesome for my local trails. No problem whatsoever on roots, sand washouts, etc. Yeah there were some sections on the trails were a faster tire would blow these away but for all around performance these rock, especially when you take into account price. I wish WTB made these for 29ers.

Glenn98_11   Cross Country Rider [Apr 06, 2012]
Strength:

Rear specific tire with its paddles is an awesome gripper!!! Eats hills for breakfast, lunch and dinner!!! Excellent bang for the buck.

Wears quicker than I would have liked but hey, that's a trade off for a grippy compound. If you want something that will last forever, get a hybrid tire.

I bought my bike used 2 years ago and replaced the IRC Mythos XC tires which would spin in the mud and were getting dry rot. I chose the front and rear specific WTB VelociRaptor Comp wire bead versions and put thornproof tubes in them. The rear tire is an awesome gripper, the front tire is OK (front tires aren't subject to any torque so not much of an issue for a xc rider). The difference in the rear was like night and day!!! Trails where I would come to a halt and have to dismount and walk out of a mud hole, I was now pedaling out!!! Never had a flat but then again, they may have been due to the thornproof tubes - great piece of mind for those of us that don't care about weight!

Some have complained of high rolling resistance but here again, it's a xc tire, not a dh tire. The rear has worn down quicker than I would have liked but that may be because I have taken it on roads as well as trails. Down to about half worn in 1K miles. Am I being nit picky? Can't really compain as they're only $18. With many MTB tires costing over $40, I could go through 2 sets of these and still spend less $$.

Overall, great gripper and great bang for the buck!

Similar Products Used: IRC Mythos XC
larry6969   Weekend Warrior [Mar 24, 2012]
Strength:

the front and rear specific work well together( just watch your front pressure) the rear is a paddle type tire that will climb up a wall, went up a rocky trail last week that i was unable to make with my stock bontrangers or kenda telonix that i had on at different times. i stayed in the saddle, put her in low and up i went, i cant say enough about the rocky grip, it was awesome! dry single track and such is equally as good, the soft crap,,,fair,but find me a tire that is great in that crap and ill buy it for you,lol. but now the reason ive been trying different tires,,, wet rocks and roots, and the result was good, i havent ridden in the pouring rain yet, but did have to cross a couple small creeks directly on to rocks and roots and i was happy, tiny(tiny i say) slippage, but was able to peddle out of it!! great price too.

rolling resistance on pavement, but who cares, if you wanna spend most of your time on pavement, buy a road bike!! this most likely is not the tire for you if you race, as it is a med. to med high weight tire, its not ridiculous, but there are lighter tires out there.

so far these tires have not disappointed me, not really made for pavement, i sound like a jeep with huge tires,lol, but my main goal is trail performance, and so far, so good! i think these are a real good tire for the $$$. i will buy these again, and also would recommend them to a friend.