WTB Stout 2.3 Tire

WTB Stout 2.3 Tire

A knobby, all-mountain tire that handles wet or dry & loose, rough conditions.

[Nov 02, 2010]
umarth

Strength:

Hooks up great. Fairly smooth.

Slow

This tire is fantastic. I live in Oregon, so as soon as the wet season hits, everything you used to get over fairly easily becomes a difficult proposition. Sideways on roots, losing the back end on rocks, you name it. I got the Stouts on a whim and they are fantastic. They rail in the wet. They hook up on muddy climbs. It is almost like riding during the dry season.

My two "issues" are these- the tire isn't as soft as I thought it would be, though I am certainly still working on dialing in the pressure. The other is that the tire takes more work to get going than others. Still, neither are huge complaints, given that they really have breathed life into my winter riding. Great deal, great tire.

Tomac/Fire XC/Rampage/etc

[Feb 17, 2010]
xxixr

Strength:

Best tire I've ever used period as far as girp and traction. I've run dry, wet, even snow. and never failed. Confidence in the corners is amazing. in 2.5 seasons of riding in mich, I have never dumped in a turn. Since I have replaced with racing ralphs i've dumped 3 times in 1 summer. There is not much else to say. These tires are the real deal.

Like everyone else says they do ware quick because the are soft. However if you want the traction you gotta give somewhere, right? And they are no doubt heavy. Not recommended for racing, unless, like me, you don't give a damn if you finish last.

An awesome awesome tire, for all terrains. A great confidence builder especially if you are new to riding like I am. A word of caution though Beacuse of the stability in corners and over any terrain or condition, they may just take the thrill out of mountain biking, and you just may want to buy a road bike instead. :-)

[Dec 07, 2009]
Marshalleames

Strength:

great cornering, sticky rubber, good grip for climbing

dont last long, roll slow on hard pack

This is a great all around everyday tire, I have never felt more comfortable in corners. Works great in wet conditions also. Sheds mud easily. Only if the middle of the tire had smaller nobs in between the bigger nobs, this tire would be perfect.

moto raptor

[Aug 11, 2009]
KinglyRider

Strength:

Ludicrous grip, durability, relatively good rolling resistance.

Can be pretty expensive, but you get what you pay for.

I've been using this up front on my hardtail for general trail/downhill thrashing as well as fast cross country riding.

I can't really fault it, I've yet to wash it out (that's not to say I haven't come off though!) even on lose silty soil and or gravel tracks. I like to ride fast and tend to chuck my bike around and they come back for more everytime.

Perfect front tyre for general trail use if you ask me. I wouldn't recommend them on the back if you do varied riding, tarmac shreds the knobs because of drive torque and the rolling efficiency isn't the height of cross country performance, however coupled with something like a WTB wolverine you'll fly; I've been riding that combo for 6 months and it's bloody brilliant! Highly Recommended.

WTB: Dissent, Timberwolf, Wolverine

[Jul 14, 2009]
psylence

Strength:

Great in loose conditions.

HUGE, have like 1 1/2CM clearance (Mud may be an issue)
They are super heavy and steering became twitchy

This tire is great in loose gravel, light mud.
They are pretty bad in hard packed conditions. You can feel the rubber straining when you take moderate turns.

Spec ed Captains/Geax saguaro

[May 18, 2009]
capthook61

Strength:

This tire flat hooks up in the desert terrain around Las Vegas. Running them front and rear and they grab the corners, will bring you to a stop like now, and keep going in the loose climbs. A great everyday get out there and ride tire.

Heavy, not bad heavy, but not a racing weight I would want to run

If you want a big, fat, gnarly knobbed tire that will hook up in the loose rocky desert and will have you railing the corners for your weekend or everyday rides this is your tire. I run this on my everyday go bang the trail bike, but just too heavy to race with.

Schwalbe Racing Ralph, Weirwolf 2.5, Exiwolf, many others

[Feb 23, 2009]
Ashevillemike

Strength:

This tire corners better than any, yes, any other tire I've used. It has not failed me yet.

It's a bit heavy and may not last as long as other tires, but if you ride hard it pays to have a tire that you won't let you down.

This is the best front tire I've ever used. It will be replaced with another stout when it wears out. I have not tried it on the rear so I cannot say how it will do there. It is a bit heavy but is totally worth the extra weight. It's a beefy high volume tire (I generally run about 30# of air in it). It shines in the woods, whether dealing with roots, rocks, mud, sand, whatever-this tire can take it. It doesn't roll well on pavement-because it's a trail tire. The knobs have worn fast initially, but once they got to a certain point they've not worn nearly as fast. I probably have around 600 miles on it and it isn't finished yet.
I feel like this tire is getting a bad rap, but it does exactly what it's supposed to, and it does that well!

velociraptor, smoke, dart, mythos, ridgeline, prowler xt, exiwolf, yada yada.

[Aug 10, 2008]
Dr.Zoidberg

Strength:

Excellent traction in wet and muddy conditions. Just came back from a 6 hour trail tour, 7/8 of it spent in rain and riding on trails that were bogs and streams due to the amount of rain. Also, wet small-medium rocks downhill and uphill. Tires were very stable - in fact stalled out going through 30-50 ft mud sections a 1/3 of the tire deep and tires kept the bike from tipping, giving me a perch to power through. Same effect on uphill wet rocks even - abosolutly amazing grip. Didn't experience any mud tacking onto the tread - maybe because the rain and riding into streams washed them off?

Not ideal for xc racing track - ineffecient; but its not a racing tire so no points lost here. Probably weight as well. Tough time fitting my bike rack rail.

Can't get over the traction/grip this tire gave me through mud, bog and even uphill wet rocks.

[Jun 19, 2008]
Bdoc132

Strength:

very sticky and wide, was good for the dusty conditions of AZ in the beginning of its life. I didnt feel like the tire was very heavy for a 2.3

The knobs were too weak and would wear off very quickly, only got about 200 miles out of the tire on rocky terrain. Slick rock shreaded this tire apart

if you are a millionaire and can replace your tires every month this is a good tire. If not go with somethign with a less agressive tread pattern for longer life

WTB weirwolf (much longer life), specialized hardrockr (not sticky enough)

[Mar 24, 2008]
Matt

Strength:

Good traction in various conditions, good climber. It is a WTB product.

This tire deteriorated faster than any tire that I have tried

I love WTB however this tire did not last. The side nobs began to shred away from the tire.

Fire XC, Maxxis ADvantage, Mutanoraptors and other WTB tires