WTB Slickasaurus Tire

• Steel: 480 grams

• User Reviews (13)

cornking651   Cross Country Rider [Oct 28, 2009]

Pop easily.

I had three flats in under 600 miles of normal use on asphalt. Third times a charm: I threw them out tonight and I would not recommend these tires to anybody. Total waste of money unless you like pushing your bike instead of riding it. Worst tires I've ever had.

mierlp   Cross Country Rider [May 12, 2009]
    Strength:

quick, inexpensive, light-weight tire with low rolling resistance. good choice if you're looking for a semi-slick 26" on your mtb

tends to pick up a lot of water/debris when riding in wet conditions

Was looking for a tire to make road commuting easier on my Hardrock, these have fit the role nicely so far. Used this setup during the NYC 5 Boro Bike Tour (42 mile ride throughout NYC) in which it rained the whole day. These tires were throwing lots of water and dirt at me during the whole ride; my face and back got pretty dirty. If you plan on commuting with these tires rain or shine, then I would recommend some fenders to prevent debris/water getting all over you. Otherwise, I've been very happy with these tires. I feel much quicker accelerating, climbing, and maintaining speed; was even able to keep up with and pass many roadies during the NYC bike tour. Haven't had any flats yet (knock on wood) although I've only had them on for a couple months.

Similar Products Used: first semi-slick I've tried
    gmrv4   Cross Country Rider [Mar 30, 2009]
    Strength:

Fast rolling when aired up to 65 lbs and on a hard surface. Cheap at $16.

Puncture prone. 7 flats in 1431 miles. The soft rubber tends to hold rock shards that then work their way into the tread over time. Inspecting the tube I could see where it was abraded over the miles rather than a clean slice all at once. As a result I would spend time after every ride digging out the shards to try to prevent further flats the next day.

These tires are too likely to get a flat. There are other choices, at slightly higher price points, that yield a more trouble free tire. If the bike came with these tires I would go ahead and run them to get a few miles out of them, but after getting some good out of them they would be coming off.

Similar Products Used: Vittoria Randonnuer Pro
    camscandalous   Weekend Warrior [Jan 29, 2009]
    Strength:

Most notably they're durable and they ride great on the roads! And you can get them almost anywhere for really cheap; or at least cheaper than any other slicks.

For the money, NONE!

First, you'll never ever find a better pair of slicks for the money; and money aside, they hold up and ride amazing! If you plan to do any kind of commuting on the road, but don't want to g oall out and buy a road bike or have to ride around on knobby tires, these are exactly what you're looking for!

Similar Products Used: All manner of knobby tires.
    hoprocker   Cross Country Rider [Oct 01, 2008]
    Strength:

Handles well at high or low PSI

Sometimes feels like it's "floating" a bit
    Won't give me an opportunity to replace it

I got this tire, used, about 2 years ago from a community bike project in San Francisco. I've been riding it on my rear wheel almost every day for the last year or so. This thing does *not* wear out. I've had a few flats from glass, but they are few and far between. I also love skid-stopping by locking up my rear brake, and this tire still refuses to give up. The only minor, minor quibble I have is that sometimes I get the impression from the ride quality that the thing is getting flat (sort of "floating") when it's not. This sensation is extremely rare, and I have no problems trusting it everyday when I swoop into traffic from the Williamsburg bridge. This is a great, low-resistance, high-confidence 26" road tire.

Similar Products Used: WTB All-terrainasaurus
    Dave   Cross Country Rider [May 02, 2004]
    Strength:

Smoothness. These tires are fast and very smooth.

None that I've seen yet.

I moved to Hawaii a couple of years ago, and have since commuted almost exclusively by bicycle (riding my Trek's stock knobbies first, then converting to Wildgripper Rocks, and now the Slickasaurus). Each conversion has resulted in a smoother, faster, more enjoyable ride, and the Slickasaurus tires have been super, since they allow smooth cornering at much higher speeds than the Rocks did (a nice feature to have when coming down some of the steep streets around here).

Of the three tires I've ridden so far here, these are the only ones I'd buy again for the type of riding I do (a lot of commuting, plus a handful of road events).

Similar Products Used: Michelin Wildgripper Rock
    mark   [Mar 16, 2001]
    Strength:

Smooth ride.

Doesn't look like there's enough rubber to last. Rather expensive. Competing products cost less.

These tires are almost 7 km/h faster than using standard knobbies. I haven't yet tried them in rain, but they are very smooth, quiet and fast on pavement. I found them rather expensive at $25 CDN each, but that could just be the place I bought them from.

gf/xt1   Weekend Warrior [Nov 02, 2000]
    Strength:

good rolling on smooth pavement very smooth

not enough rubber on tire wears a little thin

would buy again

ml   Cross-Country Rider [Jun 25, 1999]

Over 500 kms down the track, these slicks are going strong. I use these regularly for commuting, and training and these tyres have not shown any sign of wear. They corner well, even at really high pressures and have very little rolling resistance, as you would expect from a slick. A bit hard to get off the rim though- buy tyre levers.

Jim   Weekend Warrior [Aug 23, 2001]
    Strength:

Fast street tire

Got bike to cross train with running and didn't really like woods/trails much once I got into it so I put these on to do road work. Took a minute off my road miles on hilly 10 mile rides 1st time out (5's down to low 4's). It's like getting a 4 gear bonus. Great for road work.