WTB Raijin 2.1 Tire

WTB Raijin 2.1 Tire

Ideal tire for XC racing in wet to dry, loose conditions.

[Aug 10, 2013]
Geo

Strength:

Climbed well in mud

Horrible on wet roots, rocks.... and by wet.. I mean even on humid days, or mornings with morning dew.
Didn't hold well for me on corners

I got these tires because the tread pattern was similar to the original tires on my bike... and the price was right.

Granted every tire slips on wet roots, but these were ridiculous. I actually started changing the line I would pick to avoid roots because these were so uneasy on them. I mounted the set in May of this year, and they are off now in Aug... wish I would have changed sooner.

I have a velociraptor front and a panaracer smoke on the rear.. and the difference is unreal. Waay more confidence on my bike again.

I live in North east PA... rocky, rooty, wet conditions are frequent.

The Raijin wasn't bad in hard pack, but wern't very predictible in turns for me.. they would kind of drift there way into a turn then bite all of a sudden... causing me to be very tentative in keeping speed into sharp turns.

[Dec 04, 2010]
jwsb

Strength:

Mud shedding, Climbing, Predictability

Hard Cornering, Pavement

Good off road tire. Will slip when cornered hard but fairly predictable. Will give a warning before it snaps out of line. Unlike Nevegals that just snap with cataclysmic results! 7 stitches to prove! Better bite in the mud as well.

Panaracer Fire XC Pro, Nevegal

[Jun 20, 2009]
pogliaghi

Strength:

Lightweight, good traction uphills.

Sketchy, loses traction on hard turns in loose stuff. Slow in the flats.

Buy it for the light weight and cheap price. Strictly an XC tire.

Panaracer Fire XC Pro

[Jun 27, 2008]
sangmatt

Strength:

Light, clears mud well, predictable

Mediocre grip

I ride xc in mostly dry harpack, but spring can be sloppy in places and the nevegals don't clear the mud we have here at all, and I wouldn't think of using the sb's, which are great in dry conditions. I got the raijin b/c they are light and are supposed to clear mud well, and they live up to those promises really well. They don't have amazing traction, but they are pretty predictable. The tread isn't super fast, but the light weight makes acceleration and handling pretty lively.

nevegals, sb8's, irc mythos, smokes