WTB Prowler XT 2.3 Tire

WTB Prowler XT 2.3 Tire

Another new all-mountain tire in the lineup, the XT loves to tear it up on wet or dry & loose trails.

[Jun 04, 2012]
Ryan Schramm

Strength:

Good traction on NH singletrack: roots, clay and lots of rock gardens along with dirt and loam.

heavy, seem to wear quicker than others, not as great on flat rock or wet rock as the venerable Nevegal

I got a set of 2 for cheap- $18 so the price was right to try them out. I think they have increased grip in most situations except when it's wet rocks over my old tires. Cornering feel is great. But this traction comes at the expense of heft- these are heavier than a Nevegal and don't offer better traction overall. Wear seems to be about the same or maybe slightly quicker than the Nevegals. I have not experienced any pinch flats running 25-35 psi (I do use a wider, 21mm internal width rim and this helps). Overall a great tire for the price if you can find them cheap, otherwise buy the lighter Nevegal.

[Feb 06, 2011]
AchrisK

Strength:

Not sure

Pinch flats easily on rocky terrain

I am using this as a rear tire and I run tubes. I typically run about 35-40 lbs of pressure. I previously had a Kenda Kinetics and rode the rocky terrain of Tucson MTB trails for its whole life without a pinch flat. I put on this tire and have already had 4 pinch flats. There may be terrains and situations in which this tire performs well, but the rocky desert terrain of Tucson Arizona is not one of them.

Kenda Kinetics

[Nov 29, 2010]
tag007

Strength:

Fast, Corners Well, Tough Sidewalls

Doesn't Shed Mud, Spins a bit on the roots.

These seem pretty fast. I've only ridden them in the fall in New England and I'm pleased. Minus the few spin outs on the roots and the few side-slips in the thicker mud at high speeds I'm pumped. For the pice they seem like a good value.

N/A

[Aug 08, 2010]
apache448

Strength:

todos es un buen neumatico trasero,rueda bien

desgaste rapido,delante llevo el prowler mx 2.5 y esta muy nuevo sin embargo el xt ya esta bastanter desgastado

un buen neumatico trasero ,buen agarre lateral y lastra poco ,junto con el exiwolf creo que los 2 son los mejores neumaticos trasero que hay,recomendable.ahora pondre detras el prowler mx 2.3

wtb wweirwolf,exiwolf specialized etc

[Aug 01, 2010]
Evan

Strength:

Light?

-Keeps un-beading itself on undemanding terrain
-Does not corner good
-Does not grip well on anything besides flat concrete

I would only recommend this tire to people who are looknig to replace their walmart bike tires, as these have given me nothing but problems from day one. Slides out in turns, cannot put within the reccomended pressure as the sidewall starts to cave in, small weak bead that unseats itself, and sidewalls that are as thin as paper.
bottom line? STAY AWAY!

Nothing can be put as similar as i have never rode any tire that has given me this many problems while still being brand new.

[Jul 26, 2010]
bburwell

Strength:

Excellent grip in loose, rocky, sandy terrain. climbs well and holds great on the decent

A little heavy compared to the nevegals I had but they were also 2.1

Super stoked on the tires. I felt the nevegals wore out too soon and from the reviews this may be the case with these too but they are so cheap on not too worried about it. Feel so much more confident on these tires than the nevegals

Kenda Nevegal, panaracer fire xc pro

[Jul 12, 2010]
birddog99

Strength:

Traction, price

none yet

I rode Prowler XT as a rear tire for the first time downhilling. Very predictable, great traction. The trails
started out loose and dry, then it rained very hard. The
tire just freakin grips anything, wet, dry, packed or loose.
I like it just as well so far as my Nevegal.

Nevegal, Minion, High Roller

[Jun 22, 2010]
XLE_biker

Strength:

Uber sticky. All around great traction, and not bad in the weight department too. I have the Prowler XT on the front, and the Prowler SS on the rear. The SS has filler tread right down the center of the tire where the XT does not. This makes the wear factor.... less of a factor. I have had these tires on slickrock around Moab and they hang on better than most. Gloppy clay that can build up does not seem to happen with these. Tacky in the corners and really make singletrack a blast in the downhill with the Rear Prowler SS inflated to 50 lbs, and the front Prowler XT inflated to 30 lbs. So far so good!

Prowler XT mounted on the rear wheel wears fast, better used on the front imo.

Keep an eye on Bike Nashbar for these tires. Nashbar's shipping is really slow, so I call Price Point (or anybody with decent shipping) and most will price match an existing online ad. Got the last 2 Prowler SS tires for $19.99 each, but have missed them priced at $9.99 each. These are great rubber for the price.

Kenda Nevagal

[May 23, 2010]
flopper12

Strength:

Grips in every condition, corners well, rolls very nicely

Short lifespan

Great tire for any condition, period. Rocks, slippery roots, hardpack, sand, greasy clay....this tire is hooking up. Seems to wear quick like others have said, but for $31 for two tires shipped to my door, I can afford to keep a fresh tire on the rear. I'm very pleased with my purchase thanks to the reviews on MTBR.com...thought I'd give back with my own review and help someone else make the right choice. I'll post back a long-haul review once I get some more time on it. For now, I've found my rear tire choice.

Maxxis Minion DH R, Panaracer Fire XC

[Apr 30, 2010]
Grant.W
Downhiller

Strength:

Very good tread pattern, nicely shaped, relatively light. Would be excellent as a cross-country or light all mountain tire. Great for dirt jumping on soft ground, climbs well enough.

Small knobs, which is bad when you ride on a rock garden with a dust coating all the way down. Has very mellow side knobs for gripping flat turns.

A great cross country tire, due to its low-ish profile and light knobs, but not quite burly enough for Freeride or heavy AM riding. Loses traction on anything slick, but will make up for its traction weaknesses with its light weight and well shaped knobs. If you are a cross country rider on a budget, this should be a great tire for you, but for FR or DH, consider a 2.5 with tall knobs, for better dig.

Kenda nevegals