WTB NanoRaptor 2.1 Tire

NanoRaptor 2.1

• Large volume versatile cross country racing and freeride tire
  • Excellent grip control with very low rolling resistance
  • Laser with Inner Peace: 640 grams, Folding: 575 grams
  • Also available in 29" Dual (700c) Steel DNA: 630 grams

• User Reviews (58)

Acemarklao   [Dec 22, 2013]
    Strength:

Fair price
    Weight
    Less rolling resistance
    Good looking tire

No grip on moist or wet pavement.
    pebbles get stuck on treads

I got mine on a discount. Rolling is fast on my 29er. I crashed twice in a span of a week. It started to be rainy here in the Philippines. On both incident that I crashed, I was cornering on a moist concrete road after a rain. It wasn't fast at all, and my bike lost its grip. abrasions on my knee resulted with that. I think this tire could get me killed.

Rob   [Mar 31, 2013]
    Strength:

They good and that's it.

The micro tread gets INSTANTLY caked the moment you add any kind of moisture to the ground. Little to no grip in turns. No sidewall grep or bite. Large balloon-esque casing nearly doesn't fit most front fork forks...

Sorry but this really is a bad tire.

It's cheap and comes on most bikes as a factory default. You see why very quickly.

If you live in a dry desert-like area or you are looking for an on-road some times offroad tire for your campus cruiser then maybe this tire is OK. However;

The tread gets instantly caked in anything moist. Resulting an endless spinning and a deadly game of Russian Roullete.

There is nearly no side tread so bunny hopping out of tractor ruts, or dirt bike ruts, is impossible. Even just following along on previous MTB riders single track becomes a Vegas gamble.

I am certain that the center line strip of rubber down the middle causes the tire not to track straight always to one side.

The casing size of tire is large. The front tire comes so close to touching the fork bridge that any leaves or mud get caught up there ALL THE TIME and rub.

I am 95kg and ride a heavy 29er with 17c rims. I tried 2.0 Bar to nearly 4.0 bar. With no positive result.

Will be going to another tire this season for sure.

Ethan   [May 15, 2012]
    Strength:

Low rolling resistance, cheap price.

Very little side grip, likes to slid out on almost all surfaces.

These tires come on the 26er hard tail that I got for free. They are great for dual sporting (street/trail) but not so great as a trail only tire. They are great if you are racing as the rolling resistance is very low and they pedal great, the same goes for riding on the street. But if you push them on the downhill and like to lean deep into turns they let go very soon. I have these on the front and bike of my bike, I would keep them on the back but for the front I personally would go for something with a little more grip considering anything resembling hard corning results in a front end slid. But for the price and if you need a new tire I would say go for it, just adapt your riding style to the tires, making sure to brake really early and not push it to hard in the corners.

Billy C   Cross Country Rider [Aug 17, 2011]
    Strength:

Very Light , fast , low rolling Resistance on hard pack.
    good strong side walls.

will not hold a line in anything loose. little flotation.
    outer treads sheered off on rear.( in a month )

I bought theses tires for a race and did really well.
    I easily passed many riders on the hard pack and climbs.
    This was surprising as I am 50 and a new rider.
    I expected them to be squirrely in the corners and loose stuff and just slowed down. When just out riding I had the tires slip out for underneath me so quickly I was on the ground before I knew what happened. I switched to the 2.3 exiwolfs and I am fast up and down the hill.The nanos where
    interesting but I will not use then where I ride again.

Similar Products Used: Pythons , Parana's,wolverines,exiwolfs,panaracers,etc
    emski   Cross Country Rider [Jul 05, 2011]
    Strength:

Low rolling resistance, feedback in turns, supportive profile

price

Purchased for racing/speed with just enough grip to feel safe. Installed tubeless. Felt as fast or even faster than Small Block eights. They are skinny for a 2.1 measurement. They have a flatter (less round) profile so when you lean in to a turn you feel more support from the tire with less lean angle. I've only run these on the front tire in mostly dry, hardpack conditions with some gravel, sand, etc. As other reviewers mentioned, they have an unusual feel when turning...must be the transition from 80% rubber on the (almost) continuous center strip to almost 80% air when contact moves away from the center. I found that once I got used to it, I could turn hard, exceed the tire's limits on loose surfaces yet still have enough grip and time to react with minimal loss of speed. I'm going to stick with these on the front until I see a reason not to.

Similar Products Used: Kenda SB8's, Kenda Nevegal, WTB velociraptor, WTB all-terrainasaurus, studded Hakkapelittas, Pythons, various slicks, etc.
    CAW   Cross Country Rider [May 10, 2011]
    Strength:

Works well both on roads to the trail and on the trail; good rolling resistance, decent grip when the off-road gets more serious. Corners well off-road and on. 2.1 size is good for folks riding a rigid fork who want a bit of poor person's shock absorption ;-) seems to do ok on technical trails.

Not a great climbing tire if you rely on the tire to get the grip for you; ok if you know how to shift your weight to increase traction. Not a mudder so have to pick your lines well if the trail is wet...

Tires were cheap so I took a chance; I've been pleasantly surprised with them and not just b/c of the cost. They roll well on hardpack / road, corner pretty well (kind of remind me of old Psycho IIs from yesteryear but without the high ridge on the side tread), not the best tire for digging in on climbs but if you know how to get your weight onto the back wheel you can compensate for that pretty well. Trails where I ride are technical and get hairy, so these tires do get tested. It's a great tire if you spend some time riding to the trail, some time on paved bike paths, and some on the rooty trails; it's not a good muck tire which is a typical trade-off for a low rolling-resistance tire but can't have it all can you? :-) Don't be fooled by the non-knobby appearance, this tire can hold its own off-road but only if you know how to work the bike a bit (I ride a rigid fork and have to pick lines carefully; this probably is NOT a good tire for a FS basher-type...) A good tire if you're not swapping different ones for different days...

Similar Products Used: Specialized Roll-X (stock); Continental Top Touring 2000; Specialized Comp Pro, Psycho II (showing my age here)
    Mister2992   Cross Country Rider [Apr 16, 2011]
    Strength:

Low rolling resistance, long lasting. Great price.

sidewalls a little thin, cannot rub anything or could ruin tire w/ high pressure. Braking performance adequate but not excellent- but still worth it.

Great tire. Excellent price. The rolling resitance is awesome at first. As tire wears, rolling resitance
    is not as awesome, but still very very good. Excellent packed snow traction. Nice size. Great value.

heathrow   Cross Country Rider [Mar 19, 2011]
    Strength:

rolling speed, weight, traction

none so far

impressed with the speed on pavement and traction on most trail. Hard to beat for an all around tire.