WTB Mutano Tire

Mutano

The Mutano is WTBs most popular dry conditionsTire! It can hold a line like its on rails and get upTo speed with ease making itTheTopTire for rough, rocky and sandyTerrain.Race Aramid folding bead DNA rubber Lightweight casing Approximate weight 730 gramsTCS (WTBsTubeless Compatible System) UST aramid folding bead Dual DNA rubber Lightweight casing Approximate weight 740 grams AMTCS (WTBsTubeless Compatible System) UST aramid folding bead dual DNA rubber Lightweight casing w/ inner peace punctu

kevin g   [Jan 28, 2013]
Strength:

Looked to have a nice tread

Small, small, small

Never tried the tire so can't attest to it's performance. Never tried because soon as I inflated it, I knew this tire was not for me. It was as narrow if not even more so than any 2.1 even though this was a 2.4. Gave 2 chilis because it looked to be a good tread pattern but just way too narrow for a 2.4.

LG Man   Weekend Warrior [Feb 11, 2012]
Strength:

Long lasting
Great downhill traction
Wide tread

Very good tires. They have lasted well and corner downhill very well. I run at 40 psi and do not mess with tire pressure and have seen not handling troubles, even though I am a 200 lb rider. I ride primarily in dry terrain in California, though I do see rain and again have found them to perform well. I highly recommend them.

Similar Products Used: WTB Velociraptor, IRC, Kenda, Panaracer
jdlothar   Cross Country Rider [Jul 22, 2011]
Strength:

-Good traction in dry, dusty trails
-Excellent rolling resistance
-Easy to mount to UST rims

-Wears faster than I would like
-Knobs become mushy when the tires wear out
-Climbing in slippery, gravelly, steep hills they slip a lot

-My riding on these tires was mostly dry singletrack and fireroad with some gravel, small rocks thrown in for good measure.
-My pressures are front 26-28psi and rear 29-31psi and I weigh 200lbs.
-Ran these in the most recent Downieville XC race and due to the melting snow and wetter than normal conditions the tires were a little sketchy. Once out of the slop they were great for the course.
-Mounting was easy with minimal fuss.
-After about 300 miles the tires still look like they have good tread but the knobs have become very mushy. I guess that is the downside of the dual-compound. The ride has become unpredictable as a result with the tires giving out in turns far more frequently.
-These tires really like trails with just a bit of moisture on them. Anything more is too sloppy and not what they were designed for.
-They are *not* $50 tires in my opinion and thus my 3 Chilis for the Value rating. $30-35 would be fair.

Similar Products Used: -Nevegal
-Weirwolf
bigjp   Weekend Warrior [Jul 08, 2011]
Strength:

Rolls extremely well, round profile so no vague transition to the side nobs. Seems to hold a line extremely well. Decent grip in dry hard or loose over hard. Not one flat in over 1 year of riding these tires! Tight bead prevents burping sealant, Set up extremely easily tubeless. Does drift a little at times but it is extremely predictable and lets go slowly.

Low profile tread so they don't last long especially as a rear tire, The out side nobs get get cancered on the inside edges which makes them skinnier once that happens they become squirmy and deflect easy which makes them wash out on every single corner(this is only after they are warn down), Not a good wet condition tire

I have the 2.4 tcs version of these tires. Works great front and rear for dry conditions, This tire needs to be run at low pressure, 22-24 psi front 29-30 psi rear. At higher pressures it is really sketchy traction wise but if you lower the pressure it grips pretty well considering how well it rolls. It is the best rolling tire that still grips decent for aggressive trail riding that I have found so far. I have also yet to experience a flat on over 1 year of riding on this tire (I am running it tubeless on mavic ex823 rims). Works great in the front and rear along the Wasatch front trails in Moab, and virgin/Goosberry Mesa area. The tire does like to drift a little but it is so predictable' and breaks away so slowly that you start to expect it and using it to your advantage. The bead is tight on this tire so you will want to use some soapy water when mounting it tubeless (I like the tight bead as when running tubeless it reduces the chances of burping, and makes for a more secure tire). The low profile on the tread does mean it wears out quickly (other tires like the high roller get better when the center is a little worn down) I am giving this tire 5 chilis for dry conditions which is what the manufacturer recommends them for, they aren't very good in wet conditions but they are not advertised for those conditions.

Similar Products Used: Kenda excavator, Kenda Nevegale, Maxis High Roller, Specalized Escar Control, Specalized Enduro, WTB WeirWolf, Schwalbe Hans Dampf
John   Cross Country Rider [May 15, 2011]
Strength:

Great weight for a tubeless version (TSC 2.2) . Much lighter than Panaracer Fire UST (100 grams lighter each)

So far , not a single issue with these tires. But, they are wearing faster than the Panaracer tires. The Mutano tire has a softer compound, and delivers better grip IMHO.

Found my new favorite tire for tubless rims, WTB Mutano TCS 2.2. I have been a tube free rider since 2004 and I'm staying that way. Recently I have had to ride with tubed tires (came on my new bike) and they just don't have the same level of comfort and traction that tubeles delivers. So I'm going back to tubeless very soon and the Mutanos will be put on the bike for sure. They are to expensive , should be closer to $30 each. NO bike tire is worth $50+ dollars. Still, this is a great tire which works in the woods, on the roots, in the dirt , and on the rocks.

Similar Products Used: Panaracer Fire XC Pro UST (rode this brand for 5 years), Kenga Nevagal UST (heavy but good), assorted Michelins
glenj   Cross Country Rider [Jul 17, 2010]
Strength:

Traction, Control, flat resistance

A bit heavy, but it was my choice.

Running the 2.4 front, 2.2 rear. Opted for the "Inner Peace" protection cos' flats suck, and I can live with the bit of extra weight. Nice normal tire for xc riding, BUT when I encountered a gnarly-uphill-singletrack rock garden, well...that is where they really shine! Climbs like a goat on redbull, and the downhill control gives me confidence to ride harder. Thanks WTB!

Similar Products Used: WTM Wolverine, Kenda Nevegal, Panaracer Dart / Smoke
TTTURNER   Cross Country Rider [Jun 04, 2010]
Strength:

My 2.4 non-tubeless Mutano Race weighs in at 620g and I run it tubeless on the front. This is an amazing front tire. It is fast rolling, yet the big side knobs grip amazingly well. The sidewalls are thin on the non-tubeless Race and punchure easily when run tubeless on the rear. So, I run the TCS version on the the rear. It weighs in at 775g. It doesn't brake as well as a rear tire that has large center knobs (Nevegal), but it rolls fast, corners well, and it still climbs efficiently. Don't expect it to last long on the rear because the center knobs are small.

I would like an extra light (700g) 2.4 TCS version for the rear. If WTB put a little extra rubber in the sidewall of the RACE, it would be perfect.

The 2.4 Mutano TCS and Race are both great all around tires. They do well in the socal sand and rocks, and they even shed mud well.

Similar Products Used: You name it.