WTB Mutano Raptor 2.4 Tire

Mutano Raptor 2.4

Fast, large and nimble tire for technical trails

• Super quick center section with large piercing outside knobs
  • Great for endurance freeriding and plush XC use
  • Race 595g
  • Laser DH 1225g

• User Reviews (93)

aroundoz   Weekend Warrior [Aug 07, 2010]
    Strength:

Fast and confident.

None yet.

I like trying something new when I replace parts but this will be the front tire I will always come back to. Light, large volume, and grips like crazy. How a MTB tire rolls on pavement shouldn't sway you to buy it but because it's the dirt that matters but having said that, this tire rolls great on pavement which is good since I try and ride to my ride.

Similar Products Used: Lots
    Dgremlin@cox.net   Cross Country Rider [Sep 15, 2009]
    Strength:

Nice and Fat. Can run lower pressures. Rides good and has great traction.

Rear Lugs tearing off.

I bought these tires about 6 years ago. I only rode a few times then the bike got hung on my bedroom wall for a few years. I just got back into biking and after about 12 or 14 rides, I noticed about a dozen lugs have ripped off the back tire. They shouldn't have dry rotted hanging in my bedroom so I don't know what happened.

Similar Products Used: Panaracer, Specialized, numerous models.
    aa1pr   Weekend Warrior [Jul 22, 2009]
    Strength:

Good construction, tread design and depth.

Sidewalls but I love thick sidewalls anyhow

Wanted the Velociraptor but it is not available wider than 2.1 so I thought what the hell if I use the moto raptor on the back and the mutano raptor on the front as it is similar to the velociraptor front tire V tread design and it works amazing. Nice knobs for cornering.The moto does the digging and the mutano takes the steering.
    This tire handles mud great so far.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager, Kenda
    dollabills   Cross Country Rider [Jul 16, 2009]
    Strength:

I run this tire up front in the Summer and Fall. It's fast and beefy and gives me a lot of confidence when I look down on it.

none yet

Great tire.

Similar Products Used: Nevegal, IRC Mythos
    Bobby Turner   Cross Country Rider [Jun 07, 2009]
    Strength:

A very fast and agile tire. Rolling resistance is outstanding. I have experienced only (1) flat tire. I also
    do some commuting and the streets are covered with broken glass and debris. Also I enjoy the stability of these tires
    when I encounter sand, soft mud and tree roots. Great commuter tires when riding through the busy French Quarter
    area!

No weakeness to report at this time. This tire performs well for the intended activities.

Purchase these tires and hit the road,and trails. Enjoy
    your rides these tires area solid dependable investment!

Similar Products Used: Kenda tires.
    welcha13   Weekend Warrior [Jun 03, 2009]
    Strength:

Grabs quite well off road, rolls VERY well on pavement

not too great in soft sand

The first thing I do when I get off road tires is test them on a dirt road to see what their limit is. I do slalom type curves down the road hard and sharper until it gives.
    This one was doing ok and just when I started to think "Not too ba.." I wiped out. It was in a pretty loose sandy spot so I didn't count against it too bad.

On the trails it has held up better than I suspected it would. I can't plow through soft sand like the velociraptors though. The one thing that amazed me about this is how smooth it was on the pavement. I was not expecting that. :)
    5 chilis for value... it is quite a great tire for the price.

Similar Products Used: WTB Velociraptors
    T_woot   Cross Country Rider [Jan 26, 2009]
    Strength:

I used this tire for all mountain-everything riding on my Full Susp. I rode it from dry loose conditions, to dry hard packs, to soaked outside in all types of environments. This tire performed great as a rear tire, if you like to slide your bike around corners and really push your speed its awesome, its very predictable and once you get the feel you can really get going and hook up in all conditions listed. Climbing it was decent, but the Kenda Nevegal I used last beat it in the conditions listed. Downhill in was great, uphill it wasn't terrible but not comparable to some deep digging wider knobs. It was pretty decent on wet rocks but not too decent in mud. Hitting drops and jumps it was great, super soft rubber and it actually feels like it (safely) give your bike an extra half inch inch of travel providing for pretty damn good control overall including braking. Not great as a front, I paired it with a WTB Prowler 2.5 which was flippin great on the down and worth climbing with cause for me weight doesn't top fun, weightweiners.

I've been rocking this tire for around 3 maybe almost four months and the knobs have started going south. Small chips in the knobs and all around wear. I can feel the speed and control in the conditions (winter, mud, climbing, rocks)still not too bad on the corners though but climbing its getting tedious, and wet rocks are impossible to hook up on. It will still be usable for a few more rides this spring when its fully dry but for now I've gone to a Continental Gravity 2.3, This tire coming right off of the WTB makes me want to just go drop another 45-50 on this WTB or another.

Great rear tire for all conditions except for the super muddy after it has been used but isn't quite dead. Didn't enjoy as a front.

Similar Products Used: Kenda Nevegal 2.3 front/rear, got better with age. WTB moto raptor front velociraptor rear wore out quick but hauled ass. This tire as both front/rear then used as rear with Prowler 2.5.
    el matador   Cross Country Rider [Jan 15, 2009]
    Strength:

rolls quick, very light for a 2.4 (even though its more like a 2.25), good cornering as long as you keep pressures reasonable, I'm 165 and I run them at 30 psi

not as stiff a sidewall as I'd like, but that keeps the weight down I guess

A good price point for what seems to be a great "All-Mountain" tire...rolls smooth, pretty light, grips well in all but the dustiest of conditions. I'll see how long they last. Just make sure to keep them at a low enough pressure to do their jobs- they're not road bike tires!

Similar Products Used: Tioga Factory DH 2.35, IRC crapcountry's
    m85476585   Weekend Warrior [Oct 14, 2008]
    Strength:

Lots of traction. Not too heavy.

None so far.

The trails around here are really sandy and/or dusty, and my old tires had basically no grip on them. I could barely stay upright on my bike, and going up hills was impossible. With the Mutano Raptors (front and back), I can ride just fine on most sand/loose dirt as long as it is not too deep. I also rode on a packed trail, and I didn't notice any issues except for nearly wiping out on a pile of loose rocks (but that's not a problem with the tires). Installation was not too bad (it was my first time replacing tires)--The front one went on easy, but for some reason I had a lot of trouble getting the back one on, even though the wheels are identical.