WTB MotoRaptor 2.4 Tire

WTB MotoRaptor 2.4 Tire

• Lightweight extreme and freeride trail tire
  • Great on everything from wet roots to dry rock
  • Folding: 775 grams, Steel: 810 grams

• USER REVIEWS

[Oct 15, 2011]
    dgw2jr

Strength:

inner peace system allows for low pressures without pinch flats, sticks to the trail like glue, outside knobs have very low durometer and stick well in corners, string sidewall, thick beefy tire inspires confidence when the trail gets rough

high rolling resistance, feels heavy

Had this tire up front for increased traction with all the leaves and detritus on the ground right now. Never slipped or washed out on me, but then again I couldn't maintain enough momentum on this tire to worry about losing it on the corners. If I wasn't such a weak n00b and had the legs for it, this would be a good all around tire. If you need to conserve your energy for longer rides then I would go with something else. I'm currently using 2.35/front 2.1/rear Kenda Happy Mediums and they roll much faster and grip just as well as the Motoraptor.

intense system 4

[Jul 02, 2011]
    David C
    Downhiller

Strength:

Good resistance to puncture while city riding. Doesn't get stuff with dirt.

Loud on pavement, no grip on loose terrains, dry, sand or rock, will stop fast on pavement, but will not stay in place once the wheel is locked on pavement, so need progressive deceleration.

At first, they look great and nice, but as I start using the bike, I was getting better, but the tires were not. I do a lot of street riding and trail, then downhill, and those tire are loud on street, have some rolling resistance (not extreme, but), are good stoppers, but will drift on pavement once locked, so you need to be careful when taking a nice curve. On trail, they will dig in loose terrain and wont get you up the hill, they feel really dry and hard on dry terrain, as sand or gravel routes. In mud, they are ok, but be careful not to get yourself covered up when you hit some wet section. On descent, they will make you feel like you can't stop the bike without crashing and no grip on roots, rocks, or dry terrain. They drift once locked. They are easy to clean by themselves if you ride them at 20+ km/h on pavement. I will get some other tires with better grip soon.

[Jan 26, 2010]
    Boogie Man?s Nightmare

Strength:

Comfort, price, grip on rocks

cornering, loosing grip very quick on softer surfaces, grip in wet

I thought it was my technique fault in terms of riding experience that the tire doesn´t grip. But after of year of riding and technique improvement it´s not... Switching to other set of tires for this season

Tioga Yellow Kirin

[Oct 27, 2009]
    iloj

Strength:

Good feel absorbing small roots and rocks when straight on and upright. Good grip and feel going over logs and log stacks.

Sidewalls do not have good traction. Lean just a little off of upright and you loose traction easily on just about any surface.

These tires were brand new with a used bike purchase. The tires feel very "balloonish", absorbing small roots and rocks when hit straight-on - very plush and good control, until you lean the bike and get on the sidewalls - anything other than upright and you loose traction quickly - I've got the cuts and bruises to prove it. If these tires had better sidewall traction, they would be much better. It's definitely not a fast, race tire, but good if you like climbing over obsticles, like rocks, log stacks, etc.

[Jul 22, 2009]
    aa1pr

Strength:

Good construction, tread depth adn thickness

Sidewall in my opinion

wanted the Velociraptor but it is not available wider than 2.1 so I thought what the hell if I use the moto raptor on the back and the mutano raptor on the front as it is similar to the velociraptor front tire design and it works amazing. Nice knobs for cornering.
    This tire has the digging power for those fast take offs. handles mud great so far.

Bontrager, Kenda

[Nov 21, 2008]
    RE1GN2

Strength:

Very long lasting. Wears down pretty slowly.
    Cheap.
    Good traction on dry and soft dirt.
    Low rolling resistance on roads.

Bad cornering. Side knobs do not work. I repeat, do not work (cut).
    Terrible traction in wet. Might as well use slicks.

Good for everything with the compromise of bad traction in wet conditions. So-so cornering. The best tire would be to fix the side knobs.

Maxxis, Michelin

[Jul 19, 2003]
    Randy Deibel

Strength:

Good,stong,nice all around tires

1700 miles,half paved,half trails, Just had my first flat. I ride hard wreak lots and never have any problems

These tires rock thats it, can't wait to get some 2.5s

irc

[Jun 17, 2003]
    john mckeon

Strength:

Good grip,nice round profile

SIDEWALLS BLOW OUT TOO EASILY.

I am a clydesdale (6'6" 240) and I was angry when my front tire had a blowout on the sidewall but I had been pretty hard(lots of rock gardens at speed) on it so I just let it go and got the kenda dh for the front. But when the rear tire's sidewall blew out I almost lost my mind, I was riding in Central F'in Park. So if you are over 220 and plan on doing four foot drops(stairs in Central Park) then just forget them.

Specialized enduro 2.2(pretty good),kenda kolossal dh(good but heavy)

[May 23, 2003]
    Theodore Jump

Strength:

High air volume, sturdy, aggro tread, good rubber compound, round profile, good side-knob strength, good sand flotation owing to volume

weight

Great all around tire; even performer in all conditions; works well in wet season here in Austin on the wet limestone trails; excellent in hardpack; decent on wet roots; excellent in Moab this april;

if your frame 'n fork will fit and you can muscle the mass these are great all-around tires, help a lot on a hardtail giving it some suspension but worked fantastically on my Enduro.

conti surival 2.3, conti vertical 2.3, irc backcountry 2.25, geax sedona 2.25

[Aug 16, 2007]
    Andre

Strength:

Good and wide and strong and comfortable and eat it up...

A little heavy and wide for rolling but usually worth it.

I got these from a friend who works at a bike shop super cheap. They are kevlar bead and folding and they said "we don't like WTB tires" for whatever reason so they sold them to me super cheap. I run matching 2.4 MotoRaptors both front and rear. Bottom Line: They are killer, and about as good as it gets for a light 2.4 tire. I weigh 230 lbs (I'm 6'5) and ride hard and they are solid and roll and climb and do everything around here great. I ride lower pressures (35 psi about) and I have ridden the crap out of them and they have not flatted once. They also look and feel brand new after 300 miles easily with some time on pavement as I ride to the trails too. I have been reading on the forums and the local bike shops also highly recommend them for Moab too. It doesn't rain here much but I've had them out in light mud and rain and they have been fine for me. Most of our rocks and sharp and give good traction regardless of the weather. On the roots, loose and tight dirt, loose rock, almost everything, they have been killer. I have been thinking of switching to maybe something smaller in the rear for more power/less weight and something fatter up front. A good little bulge with these both front and rear is fine and still super solid. They have also protected my rims very very well, no pinch flats or dings. I have not/do not do any real drops (I'm about 1.5-2' max with agressive cross country riding) and they have been great. The rear does swing out a little on tight little trails when sitting down/putting majority of weight in rear with lower pressure but that is standard. I recently put on some wider oversized handlebars and slightly longer stem and I feel like a good strong steering setup combined with these tires, especially up front, really awoke the life out of the front tire. Even with a lower end front shock, they will just and and chew up just about anything you throw at them. Really no complaints and again I would say about as good as it gets for this type tire and 2.4. Also killer value in my opinion too. I would buy these in a heartbeat again. I only wish they made a 2.5 for the front and a 2.3 for the rear.

Continental Slash, WTB 2.1 somethingaruthers that were good in the rear.