WTB MotoRaptor 2.4 Laser FR Tire

WTB MotoRaptor 2.4 Laser FR Tire

WTB's new Dual Sport/Dual Slalom tire. Utilizes the successful large air volume MotoRaptor 2.4 tread pattern, folding Kevlar bead, Inner Peace (teardrop shaped sidewall inserts that help prevent pinch flats), and DNA compound (lighhter weight, tackier, lower roll resistant) designated with the orange DNA strand (pictured).

[Jun 24, 2003]
Mark

Strength:

Superb traction. Cuts through sand and loose surfaces really well.

none so far

I find it funny that the review below me talks about poor traction and that a python hooks up better. I just came off a set of pythons and they sucked out here in the desert. The motoraptor tracks through rocks and sand and everthing else I've encountered so much better than any other tire I've used. I know some people might wonder why I put 1200 gram freeride tires on a cross country bike. I'm not a wieght weenie and my Mantra wieghs about 31 lbs. I wiegh 250 and my bike is built to suit, and hasn't let me down yet. The motoraptor's also roll much smoother over everything, and allow me to truly run low pressure without fear of pinch flats. I also get tons more traction when climbing, and the added rotational mass is barely felt. Besides added wieght gives added control in really rough terrain. Bottom line is, if you don't care about wieght get these tires and I promise you, you won't be disappointed, especially in rocky, dry conditions.

[Feb 09, 2002]
Al

Strength:

they is big

squirelly on ALL surfaces, heavy, crappy traction but still lots of rolling resistance and vibration

CRAPPY! velociraptors had grip. michs werent bad.

velociraptors, mich lite s

[Sep 14, 2001]
mark

Strength:

they're fat,thats it!

where do i begin...they pinch all the damn time,unless you pump them up to 40+,then they just let go all the time when pushed just a bit...they are just soooo sketchy...everywhere!!!i've replaced the front,can't wait to ditch the rear.

don't even think about it!!maybe they would suit a beginner,just don't expect them to hang on on anything remotely downhill....

hutchy's, irc's,panaracers,anything but these wtb things that came on my bike

[Jul 27, 2006]
M B
Downhiller

Strength:

Good tire.

These tires ride great. I noticed the guys who bash this tire should not have them on cross country rigs anyways. Go get the panaracer fire xc.

many

[Oct 22, 2004]
Jason

i bought it specifically for the downieville downhill race because it is fairly lightweight and has reinforced sidewalls (a must for downieville's jagged rocks). an added bonus is the dual DNA rubber compound (but like most softer compounds they wear much faster). this tire will allow you to run somewhat lower pressure for better traction. be careful...these aren't bomb-proof downhill casings...try to run them too low and i'd say your chances of getting a flat would be pretty high. they were great for the race and i will continue to run them through the wet months. they are too much for hard pack (semi-poor rolling resistence), but the softer rubber helps a little. it's starting to get wet around here and they hook-up above average when the trail gets sloppy. they pack up a little when it's really muddy, but all tires do to some degree. if you need a tire with reinforced sidewalls, softer rubber but isn't too heavy give it a try. i ran a weirwolf 2.3 FR on the front and this tire on the back (lighter than the weirwolf to shave a little bit of weight). i don't think i'll buy it again for hard pack trail riding (what i do most around here), but if you ride in the rough stuff it would be a good investment.

motoraptor 2.4 race -- mutanoraptor 2.24 and 2.4 race

[Mar 08, 2003]
Mambo

Strength:

Straight line braking for the front, rear is ok if a little squiggly on the climbs. 2.4 & squiggly?!

Do not apply to front of bike.

Last tire I tried that sucked like this was the Tioga Psycho, if you haven't tried that one, you're lucky. On the front, I felt sketch on my first ride, but I gotta know if it's set up or style or conditions, or pressure so I kept riding them. I do a singletrack & fireroad climb regularly leading to the same high-speed descent through rubble, hardpack, mossy rocks, loose fireroad, rockface, everything. Today was my first ride where I knew not to pressure the front at all, so I didn't, & things turned out ok on the singletrack, quick direction changes, dealing with the quick slides & knowing how to counter & feeling like Ok these handle like big Pythons as long as you keep you body weight back. Hit the Fire-road, second corner, wasn't even pushing it, no chance to save, JUST GONE. The front did it AGAIN. Just cuts out when you turn the handlebars. Once this boy starts it's push, (bars at maybe 10-15 degrees, slight lean, no brakes, you better kiss your derrier goodbye. Also rubber compound has no grip on anything moist. I tried to find a way to like it, I REALLY DID! Every other WTB tire I ever rode, I liked. I may still try the 2.24 as it has better edging & is more square but I think the next try will be the 2.24 Mutano Raptor.

Oh, look at them, you know the general cup or V tread designs of most tires? The outer edging knobs are the reverse of what you see on every other tire, even every other size Motoraptor. Do not waste you're money on the 2.4.

By the way, the Pythons, despite their small size, have ten times the grip of these anywhere & when they let go, they let you know & allow you to hook back up pronto.

Everything from Smoke-Dart through Kujo's. Pythons through Team controls.

[May 16, 2002]
chris mcintyre
Downhiller

Strength:

best all arounf tire in the world. it tracks well and you can mob over anything. tire is very fast and light . also love the inner peice.

the best dh or cross country tire.

wear wolf, paneracer dh, tioga dh, michillen, specialized.