WTB ExiWolf 2.1 Tire

WTB ExiWolf 2.1 Tire

If you are looking for a tire that combines syped AND control in any XC conditions, then the ExiWolf series is for you. A ramped center tread and square-edged outer knobs combine to create a tire that is low rolling, yet grips the dirt in the corners. The open tread design and spiky knobs excel in loose conditions and provide the confidence to ride where other riders walk.

• Casing: 52mm
  • Footprint: 56mm

[Jan 13, 2017]
WT

Strength:

very predictable handling, response well, quite light, good handling, corner well

It is a fast tire, but I can feel a bit of rolling resistance

My bike came with Kenda KlimaxLite. The tire is light, with minimum rolling resistance. But that is about all of the strength of the Kenda KlimaxLite. It has very poor grip except on hard clean surface. It corner OK if road condition is very good. I switch to the Michelin Wild Racer. It has excellent traction, soft ride, but it feel heavy and lacking in response. The WTB Exiwolf excel in all the weaknesses of the Wild Racer and KlimaxLite. Although it does not has as low a roll resistance of the Kenda KlimaxLite, but the good handling allows the rider to go much faster and with more control. The ExiWolf does not grip as good as the Michelin Wild Racer, but it does have very good grip and is very responsive and predictable. The ExiWolf is a very good "middle of the road" tire for Sunday Riders like myself.
My wife's bike came with the Michelin Country Trail. It is slow, and it feel heavy. She switch to Specialized Renegade S-Works. I have to say the Specialized Renegade S-work is a faster and lower resistance tire than the ExiWolf, but it is almost twice as expensive than the ExiWolf and the Renegade S-Works seems to wear a lot faster.

Kenda KlimaxLite, Michelin Country Trail, Specialized Renegade s-work, Michelin Wild Racer,

[Mar 12, 2013]
joeworrall
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

inexpensive and relatively light

not so grippy

I'm a huge fan of WTB tires - they really wear well on our desert trails. I bought one of these as a rear tire when I switched to tubeless (I run a Weirwolf on the front) and after several months have decided that it's just a little squirrelly for the tight single track and loose rock I encounter most days. It's a great XC tire, and fine for smooth trails, but for anything more technical, I would recommend the WTB Bronson as a rear tire.

[May 08, 2012]
joeinchi

Strength:

Great grip, sheds mud, looks cool

Average weight

I recently got a new-to-me GT Avalanche from CL which came with 26 x 2.0 Forte Versa Trac hybrid tires by Performance Bikes. On pavement, the large center ridge offered plenty of speed but, conversely, offered no grip on any loose surface.

After reading a number of MTBR reviews, I opted for the Exiwolfs because of the positive feedback AND the price--$20 each from Niagara Cycles. I slapped them on, went back to the same rail path where the Fortes had me sliding and saw what a huge difference a good knobby can make. Later, I took them out to a nearby park for a more serious workout. It rained the day before, so there were a few mud puddles to glide over and, again, the Exi's performed admirably.

Climbing, cornering, stopping--this tire is a very solid all-around performer.

[Sep 09, 2011]
MTB Woody

Strength:

Tread Pattern, Grip, Wear, Ability to hold a line

Weight

These tires track better and climb better than my riding ability. They do very well in the root filled, muddy, and (when the sun does shine here) loose dirt conditions. These tires rarely loose traction on climbs or cornering, and when they do, it is often due to my riding errors. My next tires will be the Exiwolf Race so I can save a couple hundred grams.

These tires will help anyones confidence but it comes with a price of 750 grams per tire.

WTB Velociraptor, Specialized Dirt Master/Control

[May 22, 2011]
j&j_dad

Strength:

Cost, grip, low rolling resistance

none so far

Bought the Comp version. Huge improvement in grip over the Fast Traks. Entering my second season of riding, my confidence levels were low. First ride with these tires changed that. Regardless of the riding conditions, I can hang with the group.

Work great on hardpack, loose sandy trails, rooty pine forests and road rides with the kids.

Specialized Fast Trak lk

[Mar 03, 2011]
Vuco

Strength:

- hard rubber, last extremely long
- cheap (paid it 13$ new)

- on the heavy side, my 2.1 was round 700g

Very cheap tire (13$ for a 2.1 with wire). Had it 3000km on the front wheel, with almost no wear (my rides are round 40-50km with 50% road, 50% forest trails. On the front it had an average grip. Felt wierd when i ran it under 2bar, felt like the tire would go off the rim, so I ran ti round 2.5bar which wasn't great for hard cornering and the grip was average like I said. Relatively fast tire on the road. Above average in the mud.

After round 3000km on the front, I changed it with a Schwalbe Albert 2.25 Performance. I've put the Exiwolf in the rear (since it had little wear), and there the tire shined. Almost excellent grip for climbing (even in mud). Rode it over winter on the snow, also great climbing grip. After 500km on the rear it showed some signs of wear. I would recommend it for a rear tire - cheap, hard rubber that doesn't wear a lot and great climb tire!
Also, no need to experiment with the pressure on the rear. Run ~2.3bar

But on the front, Schwalbe is much better. Larger tire, larger volume, better grip in all conditions. Where the exiwolf skidded, Schwalbe gets even harder grip. Although Schwalbe is a slower tire on the road.

Ritchey ZED, Schwalbe Albert 2.25, some cheap semi slicks

[Jan 10, 2010]
rob mach4

Strength:

Very grippy, lots of confidence on loose ground

Wear rate, prone to high wear rate

Great tire, can't complain. Boy I missed it when the front wheel had to go for a repair and I swapped the wheel with my Cannodale WTB rim fitted with a worn CST. Very grippy tire but wears quite quick. I've ridden ~450km and the wear rate on the rear (gravel, hard pack, rock riding) is such that I doubt I'll get another 450 before replacing. No other complaints

CST Comp

[Jun 07, 2009]
ChicagoBoy777

Strength:

These tires are amazing!! Best tires I have ever used for XC riding. Perfect for dry dirt trails. Great traction and control on corners. They ride very fast with confidence. Going on my second set of tires. I have all my friends switching out their tires because of how great these out perform the others.

I can't think of one. I have heard that they aren't great on very wet and rocky conditions. I have rode very well in wet and muddy conditions without a problem.

This tire is the best!!! Can't go wrong with these. Again if you are riding in a place like Moab where it is pure rock, they may not the tire you want to use. But for those everyday XC riders, these are worth every penny. I roll with the 2.1's and they are PERFECT!!

Specialized s-type Champion

[Jun 02, 2009]
mightybrick

Strength:

Very stable, plenty of grip, fast rolling.

Tread life maybe?

These tires are great for Southwest Desert riding. Very fast, very stable. These tires have never let me down. I have had these tires save me a few times when perhaps I was riding faster than I should have into in some hairy spots and the tires didn't give. They stick like glue to slick rock, which there is plenty of here. They hold quite well in loose over hard pack corners, and slip very little in loose climbs. We don't get much mud here, but with the little that we do, the ExiWolfs are adequate. Perhaps the only downside is the treadlife. I get about one year of riding, year-round, out of one set, IF I rotate the tires about six months in. I guess I can't really complain about that. :)

WTB Prowler MX

[Dec 12, 2008]
Indiana Andy

Strength:

grip, profile, tread pattern

wears a little fast

This tire is badass. I love the tread pattern and have gotten great grip in soft to sandy soil and on occasional roots and rocks. The only thing I can think of that is negative might be how fast the tire wears but hey this is a race tire with soft durometer rubber and thats also part of what makes it so good. Experiment with air pressures with this tire in different conditions - good stuff man. Seems to roll great when pumped way up. Either way; way aired up or at 30psi it grips like a mutha! Worth the dough and ill buy it again. Works well with my Weirwolf that i have up front.

other WTB tires