WTB EpicWolf 1.95 Tire

WTB EpicWolf 1.95 Tire

If you want speed and control for XC conditions, look no further. Ramped center knobs with square-edged backsides combine low roll with great climbing attributes. The open tread design and spiky knobs excel in loose conditions and provide the confidence to ride where others walk.

[Jun 15, 2011]
muttonmark

Strength:

Sheds mud; Tracks well in corners; great in wet/snow, leaf covered cold singletrack;Bites into climbs...

Wears fast, 3 months and looking for replacements. They don't make 1.95 any longer. Not the lightest tire.

Comparing this tire to my worn out IRC's(Just didn't have the teeth left to 'em anymore) or my Nevegal 2.10's(Felt as though I was constantly pedalling in sand), this seemed as though it was sent to me from high above. The rolling resistance was minimal compared to the Nevegal. This tire throws mud with no discretion. It handled well in wet/sloppy Michigan Spring singletrack. Held a great line in the corners, and rarely slips in the climbs. I have been running 1.95 in the Rear with Maxxis Ignitor 2.10 on front and has been a heck of a combination. Unfortunately this tire has worn faster than I had thought it would, and now I can't find a 1.95!!! I may have to go to a Maxxis ADvantage. 3 chili for Value because of the Wear...

Nevegals, Maxxis Ingnitor, IRC Mythos

[Aug 25, 2006]
dirtdiva

Strength:

Weight, handling, grip, durability

Need a compressor to seal with the bead when using Stan's.

I'm on my second pair and have no complaints, whatsoever. I used my first pair for about four months. I only changed it because the center knobs were getting worn and I've had a plug in it for about two months. I figured it was not a good idea to ride the Downieville XC race with a plug in the tire. It probably would have held up, but I didn't want to push my luck during the most brutal XC race that I've done.

The tire is light and narrow, but handles surprisingly well. My buddy and I train on the same dry/sandy over hardpack/rocky terrain in SoCal and I haven't lost it on a turn yet. Almost did once, but got it back on track quickly. On the other hand, my buddy, with the grippy Kendas, has lost it a few times. As small as the knobs are, they even surprised me on climbing up the loose, rocky stuff with the sand pits thrown in. As dry as it is now (late August), The small knobs bite as long as you keep a consistent fast cadence. Same thing climbing over rocks. I also used it for the super muddy Sea Otter race this year and proved to be surefooted. They didn't build up mud like to others I've seen. I was able to roll through all the stuff with the exception of one mud pit that was almost a foot deep.

They're surprisingly grippy, but not like the Ignitors. Then again, the Ignitors only lasted two months before the knobs were gone. If I don't have to plug this one, I can probably get 6-8 months on this tire. BTW,I ride about 10-14 hours a week, but I am on the light side.

Maxxix Ignitor 1.95

[Feb 01, 2004]
beer istasty

Strength:

Great grip on the trail, lightweight(claimed 465g) for a 1.95, fast rolling

This tire is awesome. It rides better than my old Mythos tires and rolls faster too. What really impressed me was that I used it in the rear with the Mythos up front for about a week(after using the EpicWolf in front for a few weeks). My front end has never felt as prone to washouts as it did then. Then my NanoRaptors came in and pushed the EpicWolf up front again, putting me in lightweight tire heaven. The EpicWolfs also shed mud decently. This is an overall great tire; light, fast rolling, and meaty enough for varied conditions.

IRC Mythos XC, WTB NanoRaptor

[Apr 15, 2005]
Tom

Strength:

Light weight, grippy, low rolling resistance

I've been thrilled with these tires for all-around XC riding. I expected tradeoffs between weight and performance, but it hasn't been much of a trade. Great on hardpack, you can feel the low resistance right away. I've been really surprised how well they work in the mud; we've had triple rainfall this year in CA, and I rode these tires all winter. I don't know yet how well they work in the loose stuff, will find out by late summer. I rank these ahead of the Pythons, definitely better than Mythos. With thin tubes, they are lighter than almost any tubeless alternative.

Velociraptors, Mythos XC, Hutchinson Pythons, Geax blades, Specialized

[Jul 17, 2005]
Nádasdi György

Strength:

weight,durability,great rolling resistance,handling

not good at muddy and rainy conditions

It's a very good tire for cross country,all mountain riding. If you want a cheap and light tire for racing or only cycling, buy it!!

conti explorer

[Dec 22, 2004]
nakoosa

Strength:

excellent in sand; confidence and ability inspiring in XC to all-mt. riding

none so far

2.1 in front w/1.95 in rear. these tires are surprising long-lasting for the weight. I've even used them on severe granite runs on Jeep trails in Tahoe, XC to all-mt. condition riding and racing, and they are holding up. The place they stand out most for me is in the sand. no float, no digging; just pure, straight tracking. I'm light (115lbs), so I run these at 22psi w/no problems. Very worth while tire to check out for your pleasure, training or racing mtb tire needs.

many, many

[Dec 18, 2004]
Tony

Strength:

Light, durable. These tires accelerate and corner excellent. So far I have not used them on anything but hardpacked trails. These tires were meant to XC tires, and they do the job great. They have a great profile that makes them look a little bigger than they are.

They are great tires for XC ridding. They are fairly light and seem very durable. I usualy run a bigger tire for the rough stuff but so far these have worked great. If you are on flat hardpacked trails these are excellent tires. I have not had any problems keeping control at speed.

Tioga and Kenda

[Oct 05, 2004]
Stephen Salins

Strength:

Excellent traction in dry and wet conditions. This is a cross country mtn bike tire!

Rolling resistence is slightly increased, but the traction is worth it.

This tire all around has been the type of tire I have been looking for. It is light at 460 grams while it provides excellent traction in totally dry conditions, moist conditions, and rocky conditions. Nashbar is selling them at less that $40 per pair!

Kenda Klimax Lite, Hutchison Python Airlites

[Aug 29, 2004]
francis

Strength:

fast rolling,light, dependable in any condition: wet and muddy, dry/hard pack, loose and rocky trails,

wears out fast, slips in moss and

I'm only using this as rear tire. its a must have, no non sense all conditions xc tire. i have recommended this tire to 3 of my bike buddies and they are enjoying biking the trails of negros with this tire.

continental escape, continental survival, irc mythos, irc serac

[Jul 22, 2004]
Haze

Strength:

Great handling and low rolling resistance make this tire lightening fast!!

None yet.

The first time I put these on and used them, I couldn't believe how fast they were! I use the rear tire in a reversed rotation to provide better traction and the front as normal to provides great tracking and speed. Also, make sure to run only at about 40 - 45 psi, otherwise you may sacrifice traction and handling.

If you are looking for a light, great handling, fast tire, then look no further. I have used this tire on mostly dry singletrack with rocks, roots and hardpack and it's handled very well. I bought it to race with and it definitely fits the bill. Obviously, when you buy a tire built mainly for light weight and speed you have to sacrifice other qualities a mud or traction-type tire will provide. That is why I keep my Klein Deathgrips because they handle better in the wet stuff.

WTB Velociraptor, Klein Deathgrip