WTB All Terrain1.95 Tire

All Terrain1.95

• Light use trail and comfort tire
  • Fast, quiet, and stable providing for a comfortable ride
  • Steel: 630 grams

• User Reviews (11)

Mark   Cross Country Rider [Sep 12, 2000]
    Strength:

low rolling resistance, no buzz, decent traction on hardpack.

I was looking for a good all around tire for commuting, light trail riding, and general use, and I found it. I have the 41/40 version which are just over 1.5" wide. They also make a 32/30 version. These tires roll very easily when pumped to their 80 PSI max, yet have good traction with lower pressures. They don't have as large a volume of air as a regular mountain bike tire, so you have to run the pressure a little higher and look out for rocks. Good traction in dry conditions, but I have not tried them in the wet, and probably won't! Great all around/commuter tire, and also makes a good cyclocross tire for your mountain bike! 5 chili's.

Similar Products Used: Continental Top Touring
    jer   Cross Country Rider [Feb 04, 2003]
    Strength:

Great commuter tire once you throw a set of Kevlar liners in the mix,(Product is prone to pick up goatheads inbetween the threads.)Their is a gravel section on my paved favorite trail. This tire seams to have the best compound for the desert climate I'm in,Although I haven't tested alot of tires as of yet.I'm riding 125 miles a week on them and the responce is holding up better than I had antisapated.

You gotta fun Kevlar liners.

resonable tire for the cost,Sure would be nice if they would offer a kevlar belted version as well.

Similar Products Used: cont./Bontrager
    John   Weekend Warrior [Nov 09, 1999]
    Strength:

Tread appears to be durable

Prone to puncures & hard to get on and off the rim

It appears that this tire is going to last a fair while given the treadwear so far. These tires grip on tarmac and gravel can at best be desrcibed as fair. The tread design picks up lots of tiny stones, and cosidering the width is fairly noisy. Buggers to get off the rim, and I don't know if it is just me but more punctures than I had with my last set of goliaths.

Similar Products Used: Conti's Tioga & IRC's
    John   Cross-Country Rider [Oct 28, 1999]
    Strength:

Traction,Light weight,Rolling resistance

none that I've found yet

Since I use this as a commuter bike a couple of times during the week for training . I was looking for a dual purpose tire that could handle both the pavement and off road conditions I encounter on my route.
    WTB has designed a tire that is both good on the pavement and in the dirt. It is comfortable, quiet and predictable on the street, corners great and will get you through many off road conditions.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Nimbus,Crossroads
    Harry   Weekend Warrior [Sep 20, 1999]
    Strength:

Good rolling resistence
    Excellent traction
    Predictable

I ride the larger version on my commuter/mud/winter bike which is a little larger than 1.5. Great tire within it's intended range. A little higher rolling resistance than a slick but MUCH better tire in the dirt. Breakaway is predictable in the corners unlike a slick or semi slick.Fair tire in mud, good in snow and great in hard dirt. I would choose this tire over a semi-slick as a race tire, much better traction.

Similar Products Used: Slicks and semi-slicks
    Rob   Weekend Warrior [Jun 28, 1999]
    Strength:

No comment

Promises a lot but does'nt deliver

I thought these would make the perfect commute tyre. The advertisement was very convincing, the graphic showing the tyres usage mirrored my daily commute to work and comments like Nothing can hold you back more than losing confidence in your tyres sure sold me. Only 3 kilometres into the first ride and the dreaded sound of escaping air ! Now I know that this is part of cycling and it can happen anytime, but in this case the culprit was an innocuous little white stone with no sharp edges that had forced its way through the casing. A whinge to the local dealer fell on deaf ears, and I am obviously a little peeved that the durable and versatile description from the advertisement does'nt hold water (or air !!). Put the old well worn speedmax's back on, and have had only 1 puncture (glass) in the last 550 kms. One to avoid.

Similar Products Used: Ritchey, Tioga, IRC & Continental
    Dan GlowBoy   Cross Country Rider [Apr 29, 2003]
    Strength:

Fast rolling compared with knobbies, not much slower than slicks. Much better off-road grip than semislicks.

Could be lighter. Puncture easily. Horrible grip on hard wet surfaces.

This review is for the 700x32 (28x1.3) version of this tire, which came with my 'cross bike. I think it's still applicable because the tread pattern and design are identical to the 26" versions.

If you're looking for a fast tire for on-road/moderate off-road use in dry conditions, and you need more grip than a semislick offers, this could be it. It rolls better than any knobbies but has better grip on rocks and loose stuff than semislicks do. I did get a couple of goat head flats on a ride with them - as others have mentioned, they wedged between the knobs and worked their way in. I tried commuting on these but they are dangerously sketchy on wet pavement - and not much good on wet conditions. I have other fast 'cross tires I use in various conditions, but I'm thinking of bringing these back into service for rides where I'm doing a mix of pavement of gravel, because they have just enough bite to get me through the gravel while rolling really fast. 4 chilis for its intended use.

Similar Products Used: Conti Twister, Ritchey Mount Cross, Kenda Kross Supreme, Panaracer Smoke, Conti Goliath, Conti Town&Country
    Amos Hoe   Weekend Warrior [Sep 20, 2002]
    Strength:

Fast rolling, sufficiently knobby for the occasional off road.

Attracts punctures

In the third month I've had the tire, it got 3 punctures, one from a rock, one from a broken piece of glass and one from a small staplet. The groves of this baby just seems to place the foreign objects at the correct angle to pierce the tire.
    I travel mainly on the road and these objects are quite common, small rocks and other sharp parts, but I did not have any problem with the other tires. The Panaracer's been serving me well for 2 months now.
    Not ready to recommend to anyone.

Similar Products Used: Factory XC 1.95, Panaracer Mach SS
    Stanley Kowalski   Weekend Warrior [Aug 10, 2003]
    Strength:

Excellent all-around utility;quality of construction

Probably not the best mud tire. Soft rubber and extraordinarily quiet operation give you an illusion (I think) that the tire requires more pedal pressure.

It appears to me that WTB used a very "grippy" rubber on a conservative tread design. I live in the Southern Rockies in dry conditions, so school is still out on how it would do in mud. I suspect not very well.
    The bike climbed slopes with almost no slipping, that I had had to walk up with the Kendas, despite the fact that I ran the tires at the full, 65psi inflation. The Kendas had a much more aggressive tread. I rode it over the local rail-trail which has many sharp rocks, and it suffered no punctures.
    The tire is uncannily quiet, as advertised. I suppose that would allow you to see more wildlife when you are off-road. I certainly startled several hikers.
    The tires also mounted more easily than the Kendas, not even requiring a tire wrench. I attribute this to more exacting manufacturing requirements of WTB vs. Kenda.
    Overall, I am delighted with the tire. I believe that this tire would serve the needs of everyone who primarily rides in dry conditions except, perhaps, for the most dedicated single-track rider. If you ride your bike on the pavement to any significant extent, there is no reason to buy another tire(assuming of course, you ride in dry conditions). The only question in my mind is durability and performance in wet conditions. I consider myself a hard grader, nevertheless, I will give this tire five chilis.
    P.S. I love this site. It has allowed people like me to "zoom in" on the real goods. Please take the time to make a review of your equipment. How else would I have known to buy an Azonic Loveseat saddle?