Specialized Turbo Comp ATB Tire

Turbo Comp ATB

For ATB riders who want to do some serious asphalt training or riding. What could be better than the world's fastest-rolling, tightest cornering, lowest abrading tire?

Tony   Cross Country Rider [Jul 27, 2001]
Strength:

Looks like a road tire, corners, climbs, sprints like a road tire-little heavy, but good durability, little rolling resistance. Have creamed several glass chunks with almost no marks and no punctures in first 150 miles. Pricey but Specialized picked up shipping and sent a WB.

None so far No LBS had in stock.

Took several attempts to get the bead to seat evenly with talc-Good on third attempt after sitting overnight. Tire look sexy mounted on Rolf Dolomites (blue & yellow colors match yellow stripe on sidewall). I use a HG 11-21 8 speed cassette. Takes the urge away from buying another road bike. Allows good road training speed, and climbing. Showing Little wear so far. I have an extra cyclometer so I don't have to reset with wheel swaps. Less $'s than the Conti's, but specialized didn't give these their full turbo casing treatment. Tracking is good, compliance is firm, dry cornering is excellent, havn't gotten them wet yet. Actual size is about 1 3/16". Require unique tubes from Specialized. This roadie wheelset allows for quick wheel swaps for road rides-worth the $330.00 total investment. Hope I get to wear-em out by snowfall. Racers and roadies will feel at home, comuters and bike pathers should get fat-boys or crossroads for comfort.

Similar Products Used: 1st set of 26" road tires
Dave   Weekend Warrior [Jun 06, 2001]
Strength:

Light in weight, narrow profile, high pressure, easily to put on a wheel

Not as light weight compared to my previous road slicks, a bit on the expensive side.

I've had some great fun riding these narrow puppies on the pavement. I was a little nervous these tires (which I purchased along with the Specialized tubes designed to fit the Turbos), would flat without much provacation. But nothing of the sort has happened, even riding over some stretches of dirt and over extremely broken pavement on city streets. Cornering seems sure, traction sufficient over ashphalt. And I can put them on my wheels with my hands without any difficulty.

These tires are capable of holding 120 psi, which reduces rolling resistance. But then, tires narrow tires are supposed to hold high pressure, just as the design of fat tires means a lower psi. So you don't expect a cushy ride on your hardtail with the Turbos. Suspension will smooth out the bumps. You do expect to ride faster, and you will.

Part of the weight savings also come from what appears to be the Kevlar bead, which makes this a very flexible tire off the bike. Completely foldable, it's easy to carry a spare tire as well as an extra tube in a jersey. That might be a good thing if the tire doesn't hold up to ordinary road flack and abuse - bits of glass, potholes, drops off the curbs, etc. So far, my tire set is more than holding its own, even as I've held my breath over rougher road surfaces.

One complaint: the Turbos aren't as light, in comparison to the Fat Boys I previously rode, as advertised. (The 1.25 Fat Boys are wonderful tires, too, and not that expensive.) In fact, I saved as much weight with the change in tubes as I did with the tires. Of course, I'm complaining about an advertised ounce or so of weight per tire. And I knocked about half a pound off my bike with the new tires and tubes.

I think the Turbos get to claim most of the chilis. They'd get all of them except that the price of the tire seems a bit high. But if speed on a mt. bike in an urban environment is your thing, if you want to make your bike weigh less, then you can't go wrong with the Turbo Comp ATBs.