Specialized Turbo Armadillo Tire

Turbo Armadillo

Legendary Specialized Turbo performance, now with the added advantage of Armadillo flat prevention.

Bob Sakas   Weekend Warrior [Feb 11, 2003]
Strength:

Durability and performance on the road.

Weight?

I cannot believe the debris I've pulled out of these tires including glass chards, thorns, a piece of a metal strip and a tip of a copper wire.

I have put nearly 3,000 miles on the bike since last May and have yet to have a puncture flat. The ONLY flat tire I had was due to a failed rubber rim tape which I have since replaced with an upgrade.

There would be absolutely no hesitation to either recommend these tires to another rider or buy a replacement pair when I need them. Replacing them will likely be only to have a narrower (thus slightly lighter) tire.

Phil   Weekend Warrior [Oct 06, 2003]
Strength:

Very tough tire. Very difficult to get a flat.

Very rough ride. Can be difficult to put on wheel. Issues with sidewall?

This was the first road tire I have used (I previously owned a hybrid bike and MTB), and assumed that all road tires had a fairly jarring ride. The ride was so rough at times (at max pressure) that I was seriously thinking about getting a suspension seatpost. After a portion of the Turbo Armadillo's wire bead pulled away from the sidewall (defective tire?), I switched to the Vittoria Rubino. Wow, what a difference! I don't how long the new tire will last compared to the Turbo Armadillo. But I am more than willing to sacrifice a little durability and longevity in exchange for a much more comfortable ride. The Armadillo technology may be a great thing, but I think it doesn't work for road tires.

Similar Products Used: Vittoria Rubino
Steve Walburn   Cross Country Rider [May 10, 2006]
Strength:

Durability

Slightly heavier than other road tires and more difficult to get on and off the rim.

Just completed my 5th C2C. These tires are very durable and long wearing. 2600 miles and only 1 flat. The tires still have miles left on them. Other riders with much more expensive tires averaged 3-5 flats. I've gotten up to 5000 miles, with rotation, on a set. I'm 220 lbs.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Pro
Evan   Weekend Warrior [Apr 03, 2003]
Strength:

Bulletproof if they stay together.

See above!

This is a follow up to the review I made a while back. I did finally get a new tire to replace the one that blistered. I also set my wife's ride up with them. They had some odd lumps after 500 miles as well. The bike shop then told me that they had seen more recently that had the same issue and Specialized was working on the fix. So now I have a NEW Klein and guess what. I keep getting flats with the stock tires. So I am installing a set of Armadillos in the morning. I hope that after all this time they have figured out the bugs!

Similar Products Used: Peformance Kevlar Pro Lite's- Flat city! Wimpy sidewalls.
TOM SHINE   Weekend Warrior [Nov 01, 2002]
Strength:

DURABLE WORRY FREE TIRE

THE ONLY DOWN SIDE IS A FEW EXTRA GRAMS

THIS SEASON I HAVE RIDEN 1500 MILES ON THESE TIRES, FLAT
FREE. I WAS GETTING 700 TO 800 MILES OUT OF PREVIOUS TIRES I TRIED BEFORE A FLAT I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THE ARMADILLO.
THE ONLY DOWN SIDE TO THE TIRE IS WEIGHT. BUT FOR THE
RECREATIONAL RIDER YOU CANT BEAT THESE TIRES. THE DURABILITY MAKES THEM A GREAT VALUE. BECAUSE I KNOW EVERY
TIME I CHANGE A FLAT I ALWAYS FIND A FEW CUTS IN A TIRE THAT
TELL ME ITS TIME FOR NEW ONES BEFORE MY NEXT RIDE. SO BESDIES THE PUNCTURE RESISTANCE THE TIRES HAVE PROVEN TO
BE VERY ROAD WORTHY. AFTER ALL THERE IS NOTHING WORSE THEN A FLAT ON A FAST DOWNHILL SECTION OF ROAD, THEY ADD TO
YOUR SAFTEY!

Similar Products Used: VARIOUS OTHER ROAD TIRES 700 X 23
Tony   [Dec 13, 2004]
Strength:

Puncture resistant
Hight psi

Jarring ride

The bottom line is that I have not had a flat since - get this - 1996. And I'm not riding to the grocery store. I have toured over 20 countries using these tires. Sure they give a bone-jarring ride, but that's exactly why Armadillos are the most flat-resistant tires - you can't have a smooth cushy ride at the same time. Sorry, folks, but you can't have your cake and eat it too. There are ways around this: suspension fork and seatpost.

Similar Products Used: Michelins, Continentals (terrible sidewalls)
Steve Walburn   Cross Country Rider [Apr 06, 2002]
Strength:

One tough tire. Very durable.

Slightly heavier than other tires that are not nearly as durable as the Turbo Armadillo.

I used a pair of Specialized Turbo Armadillos for a cross-country ride (2,600 miles) in 2001. I HAD NO FLATS! Several times I pulled pieces of debris from the tire and they didn't go down. The tires are still on the bike and have accumulated about 5000 miles total. I had 1 flat due to a tube stem failure....that's it!

I'm no light-weight either, 6'5" 225 lbs. Love the tires and have a new pair for an 1800 mile ride in May. Keeping the old ones for local rides on another bike.

If you want to ride/tour with peace of mind...these are the tires for you.

Ride on. Steve Walburn

Alistair Niven   Cross Country Rider [May 21, 2002]
Strength:

This tyre appears to be puncture proof, and looks good as well

Rubber tread peels off in large strips entangling gears and brakes

I purchased the Specialized turbo armadillo on a recent tour of New Zealands South island in January / February 2002 having been assured by the bike shop that this was an indestructable tyre and ideally suited to my needs. The tyre did indeed perform well on the unpredictable road surfaces with unsurfaced stretches of up to 12 miles at a time, and I never punctured once. After about 700 miles I started to hear a slapping noise on the tarmac and was horrified to see that the rubber tread section was starting to detatch from the rest of the tyre. Soon long strips of rubber were coming completely off and getting tangled in the gears and brakes. I had to cut them free with my knife! When I finally made it to the next town, fortunately not too far away, the tyre had absolutely no rubber left at all and the "canvas" was wearing extremely thin. My total journey was 1760 miles on a heavily loaded bike but iI was very disappointed to have been let down so badly by a tyre which promised so much.

Jeff   Cross Country Rider [Jun 13, 2002]
Strength:

No (NONE!) flats!

I've been using this tire for a cross-country biking trip, and I have had ZERO flats after 2,800 kilometers (1,700 miles). For a tire at 125psi, this was unbeliveable! If you are looking for a tire that will leave you with no worries - get this one. I even (accidently) rode though a 30ft long field of glass leftover from a car accident, and after picking out a few pieces from the tire, there was still no flats. With the bike being heavily weighted on the back, the tire has to be replaced every 3,000km, as the rubber tread starts to wear out, but I found this to be acceptable for the complete lack of flats.

mike Rannow   Weekend Warrior [Jun 09, 2002]
Strength:

durability

a bit heavy

Moved from San Diego to North western Illinois. San Diego is much more Bicyle friendly. roads and paths are great for skinny road tires. Here in North western Illinois, there are many gravel roads and paved roads with no shoulders and bicyle paths are few and far between. I initially puchased a mountain bike, which worked fine, but I missed my lighter more agile road bike. so I started using it with the same tires I used in San Diego, and found that they flated and or cut into the soft surfaces and made riding the area a pain. found a review of the armadillos' in some on-line site in which they were compared to several other tires. run through a trough filled with all sorts of broken glass nails and jagged metal. the Armadillo's were the only ones that did not flat. I puchased a set. found that their profile is larger than the old turbos of the same size. for me that is good as it gives a slightly larger footprint, the 700x23's just fit under my brake calipers. I have only about 1000 miles on the tires, but they show no sign wear so far. I am fanatic about checking tire pressure before riding and keep them at about 120. I weigh 220 so low presure equates to snake bite flats. don't know if the one review with the peeling tread might have been from low pressur and heavy load in extreme conditions, or if I just need another couple of thousand miles before I will experience the same thing. the casings are very stiff compared to non armadillo tech tires and heavier than them as well. for someone who is a racer concerned with light weight and slick tread, the tire is not the best choice, but for me the slightly larger footprint and durability make them great for me.