Specialized The Captain Sport Tire

The Captain Sport

• 60 TPI Casing
  • 70a Compound
  • Wire Bead
  • Butyl wrapped bead to prevent low pressure burping

Chris Cartwright   [Aug 06, 2013]
Strength:

These are an awesome XC tire. Shoulder provides enough traction for me in corners and middle provides great gri pas well. They also make some nice noise when torqued hard on pavement.

I've had a faster rolling tire before, but it was garbage for traction so I have no complaints in regards to rolling resistance on these tires.

Sweet tires in my opinion. Good price, sounds awesome, lots of traction on straights and corners, nice tall tread, don't wear fast as I've had mine for 1000+ KM and there's still lots left. Wide enough yet not too wide

justwan naride   [Nov 13, 2012]
Strength:

Good rolling resistance, corners well and has reasonable weight. Too early to tell how it wears, but have been happy with specialized tires in the past. Looks like a real 2.2 inches as well. Quite reasonable pricing too.

Originally bought for use on the rear, but was very disappointed on loose surface (steep) climbs. The center knobs are not wide and paddle-like enough to provide enough traction on slow,steep, technical climbs.
On extreme lean angles it doesn't hold like a dh tire. That's quite obvious, but still I have to mention it. The thread doesn't extend so much to the sidewall to grip at such angles. My previous front tire was a specialized pinn'er and the harder you pushed, the better it gripped. It was a heavy mofo though and overkill on an xc/trail hardtail, so had to go. This might be improved when mounted on a wider rim.

A good value for money allround xc/trail tire. Not the racy, zero traction type, more like your anytime, anywhere type. It has a tall, round profile (obviously that depends on the rim as well). Performs nicely on dry and damp (haven't tried it on really wet conditions yet).

Similar Products Used: Panaracer Fire xc pro 2.1, kenda nevegal 2.1, conti mountain king 2.2
Trailkiller1999   Weekend Warrior [Oct 14, 2012]
Strength:

This tire has virtually no rolling resistance and you don't lose traction no matter what you go over.

None that I have found yet.

I have had this tire for about 2 days and it will comfortably go go over everything my old tire had trouble with.I have a trail in my backyard and this morning i took my bike out and rode that for a little while but at the end of the ride i went up a steep hill and safely went over a medium sized loose rock. I would recommend this tire to anyone who needs a lot of traction but wants speed and low rolling resistance all at the same time.

Similar Products Used: Specialized fast trak lk sport.
merc13000   Cross Country Rider [Aug 29, 2012]
Strength:

Great Grip, Good rolling resistance for the amount of grip, looks awesome

Kinda Heavy - but expected at this price

I have the Captain Sport 26 x 2.2 on my front end and it is the best front tire I've tried yet. It has more grip than I need and still rolls plenty fast. Also the tire has good volume that gives you confidence(especially on a hardtail). l I don't think there is a better overall tire on the market - works in dry, wet, sandy, paved and all other conditions. If you have the money to burn then go with the Control version for the lighter weight, but the sport version is enough for 90% of people out there.

Similar Products Used: WTB Weirwolf, bontrager, Fast Trak
CSC   Cross Country Rider [Jun 13, 2011]
Strength:

Grips very well to wet and dry surfaces, and clears mud well. Agressive, tall knobs on the 2.00" version. 2.00 measures closer to 2.2-2.25".

throws small rocks and such at the frame.

I am not sure why the other reviewers for this tire have given it such a poor rating. All tires need to go through a "break-in" period, which should happen on dry pavement, which would fix the wet-road slipping others have mentioned. These tires come with Specialized's "Flak Jacket" Kevlar puncture protection, which remedies earlier puncture issues. Overall, a great tire. I will probably buy the control dual compound version when these wear out.

Similar Products Used: WTB Mutanoraptor (would not rocomend for PNW riders)
billh71@gmail.com   Weekend Warrior [May 06, 2010]
Strength:

Fast rolling, good wear, and decent traction in most conditions. Good for XC trail riding.

With tubes it doesn't feel planted leaned over. Slides enough to discourage leaning it hard. Could be lighter but that's what you get for budget tire.

I was against buying these for replacements but now that i've tried them tubeless I am probably going to buy more. I'm still experimenting with the Fast Trak control 2.2,(its really light for it's size and traction) but think I will buy a 2.2 Captain Control for the front if the FT proves not to be grippy or cushy enough. I don't know if you can do better for 25 or 30$ of the sport version. I haven't looked much but I would look for something grippier if using a tube. If you have them try converting to tubeless. They change alot if you drop the pressure to 30 psi. or less.

Similar Products Used: Resolution pro D2, Mosquitos, Enduro s works.
TC316   Weekend Warrior [Dec 01, 2009]
Strength:

Seem to have good traction. But this is only after one ride....

Punctures sidewall after one ride!!!!

While cleaning my bike after a muddy ride, I noticed the punctured sidewall. I've never had this happen before on any other tire! And this is my first ride using these tires. Sidewalls seem a bit too thin. On the same tire, I noticed a few scratches that almost go to the cords. Very surprising especially for a Specialized product. I'm not interested in the lightest tire, I want something that's durable.......

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Jones
Felix van Oost   Downhiller [Mar 23, 2008]
Strength:

Light Weight
Rolls Easily

Very Thin / Soft
Punctured Very Easily
Not Much Grip On Certain Surfaces

The Specialized The Captain Sport Tyres came with my FSRxc Pro from the factory along with some Specialized Ultralite 0.6mm tubes. I used these tyres for XC, and they were very light and rolled easily. They had good traction and would corner well on loose surfaces.

However, on hard dirt and a little asphalt, the cornering ability was horrible, and the tyres would slip all the time unexpectedly, which was quite annoying on the morning commute to work. Running lower tyre pressures increased the traction somewhat on harder surfaces. The major problem that I had, however, were punctures. The tyres would puncture at least once a week (although it could be due to the thin inner tubes) which often cut a fun trail ride short. Specialized have released a Armadillo version of The Captain, which should drastically reduce or eliminate the puncture problem I had with my tyres.

Overall the tyres were quite a good value, and they had almost no wear after more than 6 months of daily riding. I have since replaced the The Captains on my bike with some Maxxis Holyrollers 2.2" (which are slightly wider) which gave a drastic increase in traction on hard surfaces (which I rode mostly on).