Specialized The Captain Grid UST Tire

• Bead: Aramid
  • UST light construction
  • 26" x 2.0 approx. weight 765g, PSI: 36-65

lethaljd   All Mountain Rider [Jul 30, 2012]
Strength:

Great all-arounder, hooks up well in the corners, decent climber, can run super low PSI. Floats sand okay, low rolling resistance

Can push through turns unless leaned over, not the best in mud or on wet roots, expensive

Review after 1 year of use on mixed terrain:

I bought these at the reco of my LBS while in the desert Southwest. I was between these and the Geax Saguaro. I ended up really liking these tires. They corner very well if you are a leaner. The side knobs really hook up and have hold. The UST version has beefy sidewalls and I put them through a ton of sidewall slicing rock abuse on the Arizona trail with no problems. They have low rolling resistance because of the tightly spaced center treads. I mounted the rear tire in reverse tread direction and it really seems to improve climbing traction. Not to mention, I can consistenly run 20-24 psi with no issues. It burped once at 20psi while railing a turn. I weight about 165 lbs.

This tire shines as an all-arounder for skilled riders. It has predictable give and nice stiff sidewalls. It can push in the corners a bit, but if you lean it over you will be rewarded with bite. The rubber does seem to wear somewhat quickly, but that's the price you pay for traction. I had the 2.2's which seem to be a real 2.2 with nice volume. I was able to float sand pits pretty well with them.

This tire is NOT good in mud, wet leaves, or overly-wet conditions. It sheds mud reasonably well, but doesn't have the depth of tread needed to get good traction. Because of the fewer transitional knobs, hitting wet roots at anything other than stright-on can be really dicey.

These were standout tires in Arizona, but after moving back to PA, they are really only suitable for Summer riding when the trails are fairly dry.

OVERALL
SenorSerioso   Weekend Warrior [Jun 15, 2011]
Strength:

Nice around corners, smooth enough on pavement with the center tread.

Death by sand

I love the wide 2.25" tire, it's nice for having fun and hitting the looser stuff. With the dry period we've been having the sand swallows just about anything attempting to cross its path.