Specialized Team Control Armadillo Tire

Team Control Armadillo

High performance plus Armadillo flat protection for soft or loose conditions...and the riders who frequently find themselves in thorny situations.

Aaron Hudacky   Cross Country Rider [Mar 03, 2002]
Strength:

Almost flat proof, good braking traction, nice appearance.

Don't hold well in tightly banked turns.

I bought this tire as a set with the Team Master rear specific tire because I had been having endless flats caused by cactus thorns, and they eliminated the problem. I rode 1500 miles on these tires before they got one flat. This tire feels a little heavy but the gained flat resistance is worth the weight increase. The only disadvantage to such a tough rigid tire is that it isn't very flexible so it doesn't grip very well in turns, but again, the flat protection was worth the tradeoff. I'm trying a lighter tire next with tube liners, but I know this tire works so if you need flat protection you'll probably like the Team Control.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Jones AC, Specialized Team Master Armadillo
Josh DeWeese   Weekend Warrior [Jan 29, 2002]
Strength:

These tires have kick ass traction anywhere, they can take a bullet, and they look cool.

What weakness????? I wish they made it in a bigger size.

If you want to move and stop quickly, ride over cactus, and have money left over from not buying tubes get these. I have put 350 miles on my bike with them and have only got one flat..... a pinch flat!!!!

Similar Products Used: Specialized hardrocker's.
Nathan Durtschi   Cross Country Rider [Sep 28, 2001]
Strength:

No flats! Great front tire with predictable drift. Holds up better than any tire I have ever used.

A little on the heavy side for racing. But considering guys are riding 28+ pound sleds out on the trails the extra weight is no big deal in the real world. Plus you can run an ultra light tube like a salsa or torelli and not worry about flats (Puncture flats that is, pinch flatting can still occur if you don't inflate properly.)

I have had other team controlls and they have had some issues with falling apart, nobs coming off, etc. The armadillos show no signs of coming apart. In fact, they are holding up better than any other tire I have ever owned including WTB Velociraptors which I really like. They are like previous versions of the team controll in that the handling is great, no surprises. The drift controll is superb, that is, you never fill like they are going to all of a sudden slip out from underneath you in the middle of a turn. The bottom line though is that I have not had any flats this year since I got the armadillo set (controll and master). I have even raced these tires once this year in the expert class and even though they were a little heavy they performed admirably.

Similar Products Used: generic tire liners in a variety of other tires
Shawn R   Weekend Warrior [Feb 26, 2004]
Strength:

What can I say except these tires are damn near bullet proof. Before I got these tires I got a flat tire 90% of the times I rode. NO JOKE. My friends were calling me flat-man because I was a trail hazard magnet. Nails, thorns, glass, rocks, stumps. You name it, I've gotten a flat from it. But not with these tires. I just baught a new set today because my old set was starting to show their age after two years of riding. Still perfectly rideable. I'm just being proactive. Two years with not a single flat tire. I couldn't be more pleased. I also did some down hill riding and these tires provided good traction.

Tires are so stiff that they can be a hassle to change on the trail unless you have a durable tool. But you should never have to fix a flat on a trail.

If you are just sick and tired of fixing flat tires, then don't buy anything else. These tires have help up on lots of rocks, roots, stumps, and thorns. I think they provide good traction and handeling. These are the only tires I would consider putting on my bike.

Russ Garrett   Cross Country Rider [Mar 04, 2003]
Strength:

No more flats, I cannot say enough good things about this tire. I Love Armadillo's.

Heavy, and a high rolling resistance.

1.When a Goat Head enters a tire it is trapped and will continue to puncture until it is removed.
2.I have seen a Goat Head puncture the tire then puncture a URETHANE Liner, then puncture a slime tube, break off, and continue to push through the slime patch.
3.I was just about ready to give up riding because I could not complete a simple 6mile ride without a flat.
4.The Armadillo Tires don’t let the Goat Head enter the tire and stops this vicious cycle listed above.
5.The Armadillo tires are heavy but weight much less than a tire, urethane liner and a slime tube.
Bottom line: Whether you’re a City boy crushing glass or a Country boy pounding cactus, this is the tire for you!

Similar Products Used: Continental Explorer Pro, IRC Kujo DH and all of the other tires that I only owned once.
Ed Scott   Cross Country Rider [Sep 28, 2002]
Strength:

puncture proof, good control on loose surface

side knobs cause some instability in large rocks, some increase in weight.

I was about to give up riding crosscountry in the Texas badlands because mesquite and cactus thorns stopped me daily. You just can't avoid them here.

I tried slime, but these thorns stick in the tire and continue to squirm inside the slimed tube allowing messy leakage. I was actually considering airless tires, but the 'Dillos did the trick entirely... I still have the first pair of tubes in there, no slime, not one patch... never one single problem.

They are a tiny bit heavier, but compared to slime in the tube this is actually lighter by far!!! Good control, good wear, excellent rolling on pavement... dig right in for climbing traction. Only worries are going thru areas of larger irregular stones tends to give the front wheel some lateral kickout...

Premium marks for the specialized guys for saving my favorite passtime!!! I love busting thru the heavy brush and cedar out here chasing rabbits and deer... my dog actually sleeps with my bike because they're buddies! Anytime he hears the Shimano's clicking he comes running, jumping high with joy.

And oh yeah, I'm 62.

Similar Products Used: none
SledgeFoot   Cross Country Rider [May 07, 2002]
Strength:

- Less flat prone

- Heavy

After getting 3 flats on the stock tires in one week, I switched to these Armadillos and it's been flat free riding so far. They were on sale for $15 each and so I figured I had little to lose.

These tires are durable. My last set of tires were soft and knobs came off on rocky terrain, but these Armadillos are strong and all the knobs are still intact after months of rocky terrains, drops, and stairs. They are heavier than most tires, so factor that in if you are weight conscious.

They are rated for dry loose terrain. Where I ride, it's mostly gravel covered fire roads and these tires do a commendable job on loose terrain as promised. I ride these as my all purpose tires and they perform well on hardpacked surfaces as well.

The only terrain that can pose problems for these tires is mud. These tires do not shed mud very well with their tall knobs that are closely spaced. But luckly I live in a drive climate, so no worries.

I gladly accept the extra weight for the flat protection that these tires offer.

If you live near a Supergo, they have these clearance every so often for $15 each.

The front is 2.1 wide and the rear is 1.9 wide.

BIG MAC   Cross Country Rider [Jul 20, 2002]
Strength:

Smoothest big nobby I'v ever ridden on .Control just like its name implys .Digs into hard pack,loose stuff or pavment equily well .Low rolling resistance .

Mud sticks too it . They could be lighter .
The armadilo series isn't 2bliss yet .

Dear Specailized ,
Please make these 2bliss !
My daily ride takes me over some of California's finest pot holes,broken glass,sharp rocks,slimmy creeks,loose dirt and stones.
I can ride up a the side of 45 deg slope of hard pack clay and the side nobbies stick right in .
On pavment they will sing to you before letting go in a turn and brake away slowly ,very controlible .These tires seem to be unstoppible by anything but a wall .
Did I mention thorns ? No problems yet .
If it has a weak spot,mud sticks to it , don't have much of that here !
I'd like to try a set of Hemisphear Armadilos next just to see what they will do on the street.
I'm that impressed !
Make them 2bliss please

Similar Products Used: Hutchinsen Scorpions 2bliss ,IRC,Bontrager connections .