Specialized More Extreme Tire

More Extreme

Specialized More Extreme

Regan Tanner   Cross Country Rider [May 24, 2000]
Strength:

Low rolling resistance, great on hardpack, great lateral traction.

Low mud shed ability due to u-shaped knobs.

I purchased these from mailorder 2 years ago. I got the 2.5 width in umma gumma gray material. They are great for hard pack and dry trails. the 2.5 width gives nice comfortable ride. Lateral traction is great because the knobs are going in all directions. Wet or muddy forget it. they hold mud like a sheep dog. Low rolling resistance also. The tire does turn sort of hard after time. I only paid $9.00 for them so an excellent value.

Similar Products Used: Psycho, most extrene, storm control, shock master
Bomber!   Cross-Country Rider [May 17, 1999]
Strength:

-It seems good at first, but quickly looses this quality.-Its an old design, so if you can find it really cheap - go ahead.

-poor grip
-expensive (for my area)
-the knobs rip off!!
-clogs up easily, due to the paddles being too closely spaced

-It slips like a madman on roots and rocks. This means it's a terrible tire for climbing, unless you ride in a dry place.-poor grip in wet conditions, and poor grip for cornering.-It wasn't cheap! $30 canadian for a wire bead tire, that is crap.-the damn side knobs will rip off. I used this tire for less than 1 season, with only about 20% of its life used up. Then this knob totally rips off, along with many other knobs coming close to ripping off. Now the tire is complete junk, and it cant be warrantied.I went from this tire to a Bontrager Jones 49/51 (or whatever, around 2.1/2.2) in the rear. The Jones is so much better at climbing its amazing, I wouldn't even think of using the more extreme ire again.

Similar Products Used: Kona scratch/sniff (crap), Bontrager Jones kevlar tires.
Juan-o   cross-country rider [Feb 07, 1999]

I ran one of these on the rear of my bike for the better part of a season. It gripped very well and was a good climbing tire in most any conditions, but it didn't last very long. The lugs began peeling off the tire. I wouldn't buy another one for this reason.

steve   weekend warrior [Aug 17, 1998]

These are probably the worst tires I have ever ridden on. Complete loss of traction in the corners, especially on loose sand or gravel, and I really like the way Specialized made the sidewalls out of some self-destructing material. My rear tire finally blew out this week-end while jumping a sidewalk and I went out and bought a real tire: an Onze RIP. I'm only hoping the front tire, which also looks like it's going to blow REAL soon, will go so I can get new tires all around.

dirthead   weekend warrior [Aug 31, 1997]

If you ride technical loamy to sandy hills turn this
tire around backwards and put it on the front!
SWEET! I'm talking about real time brakes, not like
the ole Darts.

Havoc   [May 22, 1997]

Looking at the tread design, I pretty much assumed that this is a rear
wheel only tire. Thus, my opinions are only from a drive tire standpoint.I bought this tire for climbing and mud riding. For these purposes, the
tire score 5 chilis. While climbing, this tire grips where no other can.
The paddles hook up unrelently. In fact, you will run out of strength
to pedal before these slip out. For the mud, the open spaced lugs and
wide footprint make for a tire that floats over the muck and clears
quite well when bogged.As I said though, this tire was purchased for climbing and mud. Anywhere
else, they are average to shitty. For level terrain, they are no better
than others except that they sprint fairly well. But for downhill, you
will die in the turns. DO NOT GET THESE IF YOU RIDE A LOT OF DOWNHILLS.
While they exhibit exceptional braking characteristics and are large
enough to reduce the risk of pinch flatting, they absolutely will not
bite in a high speed corner. If you look at the pic, you'll see there
are almost no lugs near the sidewall. When you corner hard, you'll hit
part of the side that has no tread and all of a sudden your rear wheel
will disappear. Average this quirk with the stellar climbing and I still
say this is a good tire.

Dave   cross-country rider [Mar 18, 1997]

Keep off the roads on it, use it in winter for gloopy stuff and it works pretty good. Swap it out for summer.More extreme RIP.

Alvin Fu   weekend warrior [Mar 08, 1997]

These tires were awsome at first, then they blew!!!! The whole entire sidewall, ripped apart, causing the bead to come out, popping my tube while I was on a long ride. It was then, a long walk.

Chris Barron   racer [Nov 27, 1996]

This is the best rear tire I have ever used! The traction is incredible. The only problem I ever had was that my rims cut into the side-walls of the tire, probably from riding on too low of air pressure. Its also a bit heavy, but weight isn't everything.

cryoman   cross-country rider [Nov 24, 1996]

Arguably the worst tire made by Specialized when used in super hard-packed fires roads typical in the desert and mountains near Albuquerque. The single row of very large outside tread blocks perfectly lined up at, say, 65 degrees from the line of rotation (35 degrees from flat ground) would serve to form the perfect slick once you banked over to turn into a long, wide sweeping fire-road turn. Ooopppsss, down I'd go every time. Look at the illustration above. Once banked at that angle, there effectively was no longer any lugs, just a solid, smoother hard rubber bead. Sold mine at tremendous discount within a day or two. Excellent, though heavy, straight line climber in these same conditions.