Specialized Hemisphere Armadillo Tire

Specialized Hemisphere Armadillo Tire

Our highly durable, wide profile recreational tire with Armadillo puncture protection for trouble free commuting and touring in all weather and road conditions.

[Jan 12, 2014]
Daily commuter

Strength:

Absolutely the best

None, weight is non-issue.

Have just replaced both tires. 30,000 kms on front, 17,000 kms on rear replaced with two more of the same. I cannot remember the last flat. Use them on my daily commute, over 200 km per week. These are the best if you hate flats.

[May 18, 2012]
coop.
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

none?

only 140 miles 4 flats lol,not impressed ,over priced?100 dollars wasted on 2 tires...

Not happy .....overated!

[Jan 28, 2012]
Migue Lott

Strength:

bulletproof flat resistance! Ride nicely. They look as tough as they are.

On the heavy side, Can be a little hard to mount depending on the rim.

I got these free as they were on a bike that came into the shop for trade in. It was an FSR with street tires, so off they came. They literally had no visible wear on them, as good as new. So far I have run over ALL kinds of road debris without so much as a single moment of worry. They plow right on through like nothing happened. The ride is great! Most flat resistant tires can have a dull, dead, heavy feel on the road. Not these. They're silky smooth. They can also handle hiher pressure than most 26 inch tires, so you can ride them firm with less drag. They can be a little noisy on very smooth pavement, but it's not near as bad as the mtb tire "angry hornet" hum. I would buy these tires again if they had kept the red sidewalls. I tend to ride older bikes, and I find blackwall tires ugly and cheap looking. This was the best looking skinwall street tire ever, my humble opinion of course.

Panaracer Pasela tour guard 26 x 1.5.

[Jul 23, 2011]
John T.

Strength:

As close to puncture-proof as I have ever seen. These tires ride over glass and other sharp objects that would flatten cheaper tires. Well worth the additional expense if you are tired of fixing flats.

They can feel a bit heavy when you first start riding on them, but you get used to it quickly when you realize that you have armor in your tires.

I use my bike to criss cross the city of Madrid all day and probably do in the neighborhood of 300 km per week. These are hands down the best tires I have ever owned! They withstand broken glass, nails and whatever else lurks at the roadside waiting to slash your tires. Madrid's streets and parks are plagued by little shards of broken glass, and I was in the habit of fixing flats literally dozens of times a year. I've been on these tires for about six months and have hardly even had to pump them up again. I can't even count the amount of time and money I have saved in repairs and lost work due to flats since a friend convinced me to order these tires. I highly recommend them for cycle commuting.

Cheaper brands

[May 19, 2011]
danalo78

Strength:

I was getting flat tires on my original tires every couple of months. One time I even got a flat right after getting the tube replaced! I put these on and haven't looked back. They are tough and I've had no problems. After about 2000 miles I did just get a flat this AM. But I figure I got my use out of them and they have not had any issue up till this point

Buy it, you won't regret it!

[Nov 20, 2006]
John

Strength:

smooth ride on road

none that I know of

I've used these tires for over 3 years with no problems riding at least once a day often through brush, curbs, etc. not one puncture. I'm using the black wall EX tires

[Aug 08, 2002]
Michael

Strength:

Solid and smooth. Handle the bare tire at your LBS; you'll notice how solid the side-wall is. The whole tire feels bullet-proof. It must be the Armadillo thing.

Noisy when running on side-walk; never noticed with VelociRaptors. Heavy? People complaning about a pound or two make me laugh. I can save that much weight by not having my burger/fries/coke meal before riding!

I'm not a hard-core rider anymore, although in my days (as in when I was in my teens), I've burned some trails. I rode road-bikes (over a decade ago) extensively. I got tired of the riding position so I bought a mtb. After a couple of years of riding on and off trails, I stopped. My son was born and I got busy.

Two and a half years later, he showed interest in bicycles so I got him a 12" Trek. That got me thinking about riding again. Then, when he saw me riding my bike, he wanted to ride with me. So I purchased a child seat for my mtb. Original tires were WTB VelociRaptors. Very competent tires off-road. But, since I was riding asphalt and concrete exclusively with him on the bike, I started to look for a street tire for my mtb. I'm not a small guy; I weight over 220 lbs. Add 40 lbs for my kid package, another 40 lbs (is it?) for the bike, we're talking 300 lbs total for the tires to carry!

I've only had these Hemisphere Armadillos for a few weeks but managed to put 50 miles on it with my son. Very solid and reassuring during the corners. Tire grips well when braking. I don't know if the Armadillo thing is working, but, I've had no problems with flats.

Overall, these tires inspire confidence while riding with my most precious treasure (that's "son" for you non-dads).

[Apr 23, 2004]
David C. Menges

Strength:

no flats

price

Denver has a lot of goathead thorns, especially on its unpaved canal trails. Weekend rides with the family almost certainly means patching flats first - 4 bikes and sometimes 2 single wheel cargo trailers = 10 tires. It is not uncommon for a tube to have 3-4 thorn holes at a time (we usually quit around 7 patches per tube).

I'm not willing to try slime? or extra-thick tubes, because of their weight.

We've used Mr. Tuffys off and on for decades. They help, but are only partially effective, maybe 50%.

Armadillos have been, however, 100% effective. A friend got me started - he bikes a lot and hasn't had a flat in 2 years (he was having many per week of commuting). I haven't replaced all of our tires yet because of the cost, so I'm still patching, but as tires wear out or we upgrade bikes, it's Armadillos for us.

Also, the red sidewalls aren't drying out (a problem in the strong sunlight here) like earlier Specialized tires with light tan sidewalls.

I'm very happy.

Mr. Tuffys

[Mar 13, 2003]
Dougmt

Strength:

Has a tread pattern.

Hard to mount/dismount, Expensive, prone to flats.

Don't buy them for the supposed flat resistance. I had well over 1000 miles on my Tioga city slickers and had ZERO flats. I've owned these for about a month and have dealt with 2 flats in the last 5 days. I bought them for bullet proof touring, the 2 flats have left me doubting this tire. Note: I thoroughly examined the tire after the first flat for glass/thorns etc. including turning the tire inside out and doing the tissue paper test. NOTHING. So whatever pierced the tube made it right through the "armadillo" technology like a knife through butter. Note that the Tiogas handled 400 miles of the same commute that these have flatted twice in less than 100.

Tioga City Slicker.. a MUCH better product IMO

[Aug 05, 2002]
James

Strength:

exelant road, big rock, logs, and hard pack.

weight, squirly in half inch or more of sand and volcanic ash, and forget mud.

this is my 800 mile update these tires are great. I have riden over 800 miles 70% road 30% dirt trails with no flats or problems. I ride at 65psi. they dont like mud or sand but I can live with that, I no longer pack a repair kit with me. on the road it's smoth and soak's up the bump's rather nicely, smoth rocks it has great grip, very good in hard pack gravel roads up to a half inch of sand or ash then it get's squerly but for what I ride these tires are the best that I have came across so far, well worth the 60.00 green backs for the pair

cont tc. spec, ground control,