Specialized Fear Master/Control Tires Tire

Fear Master/Control Tires

Specialized Fear Master/Control Tires

Steve Beasley   weekend warrior [Mar 23, 1998]

I have been riding the Fear master control tires for about 6 months now. These tires handle very well at any speed and do offer some confidance in the turns for me. My only two complaints would be the noticable increase in pedaling effort and worse yet I have never used a tire in my life as difficult to get on a rim as these. I feel like I need a bathtub full of soapy water and a 15 foot long tire lever to get the bead on. I offer 3 hot rods just for the hassle. Any one else run into this same problem?

aldo   weekend warrior [Mar 25, 1998]

I bought these $50 tires for three reasons : weight, 125 thread per inch weave and tread design. The first time I was out riding a thorn penetrated the casing of the tire and caused a few troublesome, recurring flats. The ride I must admit is great - very confident on corners and good on hills. I do have a major gripe with these tires. I have gone through the sidewall of three tires - two front and a rear. The first one went after riding less than five times. Thinking it was me and also liking the tires, I bought another front tire. Now both the front and back have given way, fraying in multiple places on both sides of the tire. These tires are less than 9 months old! I think Specialized needs to take this one back to the geniuses in R&D. The sidewalls are too thin or maybe there should be a warning label on the box saying INFLATE THESE MTB TIRES TO NO LESS THAN 80 PSI. In short, a good idea that needs work. If you ride hard a few times a week these tires won't last more than a year.

Ben   Racer [Aug 08, 1999]
Strength:

Great grip on a wide variety of surfaces. Also, in the event of a flat, the beadlock holds the thing on the rim! Yeeah!!!

Wears out pretty fast. Also, I had some of the knobs lose little chunks.

This tire as a front one works great. It is a bad mother f*@ker for riding on all sorts of stuff and won't let ya' down. Kind of too bad specialized isn't making them anymore. For riding on sof terrain buy the Specialized slalom or the Michelin Wildgripper Mud DH(ohhhh, so beastie!). I take my Mich's on the golf course, and man, you can lean over so damn far!!! Buy the Michelin Hot S for all sorts of riding. It grips great everywhere and it's RED!!! 4 chili's to specialized, 1 off because michelin makes the Hot S.

Similar Products Used: Michelin, Panaracer, Bonty, Maxxis.
The Jipster   weekend warrior [Oct 13, 1997]

I'm running the Fear Control/Master combination and find that they
grip very well at all speeds. They are brilliant DH tyres and cornering
traction is excellent. Also worthy of note is their climbing traction.
These tyres just grip so well that, if you can turn the cranks, they
fly up loose technical ascents. Of course there is a downside, they weigh
sixty pounds each and you really feel this weight on long climbs or
twisty single track. But, hey, they're downhill tyres. You have to work
out whether you can live with the wieght and rolling resistance to get
the ultimate in high speed traction. The decision, as they say, is yours.I give them 5 chilis for downhilling and 3 chilis for everything else. Rated!

Toaster   Downhiller [Nov 19, 1999]
Strength:

Never punctured using them.

Erm, before people post reviews , check the sidewalls to make sure you have the right product. The tyres you should be reviewing are 2.2 width with a beadlock. Note all the DH riders love them and all the XC boys harp on about the weight or that they ripped the treads off. YOU ARE REVIEWING THE WRONG TYRE. The rear has blocks paddles about 1 inch wide. Defy anyone to rip them off after one ride. Rode and raced on them all last year and Specialised were wrong to quit making them. The front is the grippiest tyre out there in all but the worst wet weather. If anyone knows where i canget some more...e me.

Similar Products Used: Tioga DH, Evil Twin Slalom (rule), Panaracers, etc etc
Davy Sprocket   Weekend Warrior [Aug 20, 1999]
Strength:

Grippy in loose conditions
Excelent front tire braking

Weight
Price
Not very good rear tire braking
Not very good grip on hardpack

A good freeride tire for loose conditions. I can't attest to its durability, as I've only owned them for three months now, but so far they seem alright. If I had the chance to buy again I'd get something else. Remove one flaming huffy for the abovementioned disadvantages.

Similar Products Used: Kenda
Andrew   Downhiller [May 16, 1999]
Strength:

Great dry & wet grip, better than the Coyote I was running before. Seems totally resistant to puncures of any kind.

After 8 weeks of use the knobs started ripping off the carcase, clearly a manufacturing defect.

Nope, won't buy another one. back to panaracer from now on.Pity, it's a great tyre let down by poor quality.

Similar Products Used: Panaracer Duster, Hutcheson Coyote
Roberto Porter   Racer [Mar 15, 1999]
Strength:

Great for loose dirt, very soft terrain, gives the front of my bike more security and handling confidence

None yet (used for 2 races)

Specialized Team Control Kevlar/Yellow Stripe model 99: Excelent front tire for loam, soft and loose dirt.

Similar Products Used: WTB Velociraptor front,
Mark   cross-country rider [Mar 07, 1999]

These tires at first appeared to be good. But soon after using them I had nothing but problems with them. I had two tires warrantied and the third rejected. I am extremely disappointed in the fact that a very obvious failure is deemed normal wear. I never will buy another Specialized product again. I have had just too many problems with there products. MarkP.S. I wished you could select no chilli's

Pedro Jose LaHoz   cross-country rider [Mar 08, 1999]

I bought both front and rear tires. The front tire I am still using, I guess I don't have any problems with it. Too bad its brother in the back end of my rig did not last for more than two rides. Two rides and it was loosing all of its knobs. I really could not beleive it, and got real pissed off at my dealer for selling me something worth so little. Worth little, but cost me a bunch of money. Thank God Victor, my dealer, gave me a discount on my next back tires.
I want to beleive specialized is a little better than the quality of this tire. I hope they are aware of their quality problem, so that some day when I forget about this tire and buy another of theirs, the same will not happen and keep me away from their products for another x number of years. The thread design is good, it grabs well, but to have it last for only one or two rides is a blasfemy and disrespect to any consumer (una mentada de madre).